Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "If the League is Going to Survive..."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"If the League is Going to Survive..."

Am I the only person sick of seeing this comment printed in it seems, every article about the league? I have been going to Bohs matches for about 30 years and I heard it then and I still hear it now. Change the bloody record. The amazing thing is that the crowds are much bigger now - do not believe what some say - I recall watching Bohs playing Limerick Utd in a league game once in the late 70's and there were 22 people in the whole ground.

What is it about the League of Ireland which makes it different than any other league sport in this country.

When was the last time you ever heard anybody say "if the field hockey league is going to survive" "if the basketball league is going to survive" and so on.

It wasn't that long ago that a rugby league in this country was nothing more than a handful of RTE producers with brollys standing in the rain occasionally clapping. Not once do I recall an article which said "if a rugby league in this country is going to survive" - yet it seems to appears in every article on the LOI.

I have no doubt that in the future if we had 10 years straight of a successful professional league here we would still be listening to this tired old comment. The League of Ireland no matter what will always be here in one form or another. It is not going to vanish completely!
    Last edited by Boh_So_Good; 15/08/2007 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    If you are going to survive, you will need to have a lie down
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He speaks the truth. I'm also fed up with it. 'Improve' should replace 'survive'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boh_So_Good View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that a rugby league in this country was nothing more than a handful of RTE producers with brollys standing in the rain occasionally clapping
    That's true, it was last weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiesdrogs View Post
    tired media cliches my friend let it slide
    Exactly, and to be honest most of the journos dont have another angle because some of them simply just dont know the game. They wheel this out everytime they need a crutch for their argument, as if to give it more credibility. You have to remember half these guys are winging it, reading stuff from news feeds etc. Alot of them are very far removed from the actual game themselves it amazing how they actually manage to keep people interested.

If you compare them to any other journo in a European country, any city that has pride in their own team, people that actually know the game and their club, the quality of journalism has to be alot higher. The reason being is because people would find them out very fast, so they have to be on the ball. The readership over here is completely different, i mean the word barstooler didn't just fall out of the sky, in fact its very accurate and descriptive of the readership.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    doesn't matter where you are, if your here it's we wont survive, if your in spain, italy or england the bubble is going to burst, to much money being spent, which is true on the continent, but i cant see it happening here the FAI (for all the s***e we give them) are fierce strict on finances, or leagues future is secure what we do with it is the question, do we stand still or move forward, were moving alright but slowly,

we will survive
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    doesn't matter where you are, if your here it's we wont survive, if your in spain, italy or england the bubble is going to burst, to much money being spent, which is true on the continent, but i cant see it happening here the FAI (for all the s***e we give them) are fierce strict on finances, or leagues future is secure what we do with it is the question, do we stand still or move forward, were moving alright but slowly,

we will survive
    Are you winding? I would have thought its the polar opposite to be honest. The FAI for the last 50 years have been anything but strict
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    well correct me if i'm ,but shels were relegated, and longford were duducted 6 points for not registering there finances on time, and from what i understand all clubs finaces are alright for the most part,
    say im wrong if you want but thats the way i see it, it was assested last year to sort out lisencing, are you saying they lied
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    well correct me if i'm ,but shels were relegated, and longford were duducted 6 points for not registering there finances on time, and from what i understand all clubs finaces are alright for the most part,
    say im wrong if you want but thats the way i see it, it was assested last year to sort out lisencing, are you saying they lied
    I'm saying the league is only beginning to get off its knees because of years of neglect by the FAI, the group entrusted with all things football on this island from day one.

One sunny day doesn't make a summer, how they let football get into this state in the first place is criminal. I'll put it this way ...... they have a long long long way to go yet. And for us not to recognise that is doing ourselves a huge injustice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boh_So_Good View Post
    Am I the only person sick of seeing this comment printed in it seems, every article about the league? I have been going to Bohs matches for about 30 years and I heard it then and I still hear it now. Change the bloody record. The amazing thing is that the crowds are much bigger now - do not believe what some say - I recall watching Bohs playing Limerick Utd in a league game once in the late 70's and there were 22 people in the whole ground.

What is it about the League of Ireland which makes it different than any other league sport in this country.

When was the last time you ever heard anybody say "if the field hockey league is going to survive" "if the basketball league is going to survive" and so on.

It wasn't that long ago that a rugby league in this country was nothing more than a handful of RTE producers with brollys standing in the rain occasionally clapping. Not once do I recall an article which said "if a rugby league in this country is going to survive" - yet it seems to appears in every article on the LOI.

I have no doubt that in the future if we had 10 years straight of a successful professional league here we would still be listening to this tired old comment. The League of Ireland no matter what will always be here in one form or another. It is not going to vanish completely!
    First I was dismayed,
    I was petrified,
    Kept thinkin' how'm I gonna live
    Without my local side.
    Then I read so many rags
    Seeing how bad they got it wrong
    So I grew strong,
    And I learned to get along
    Without their crap,
    Loquatious waste.
    When I open up the Sindo
    It is now with pure distaste.
    I should have binned the sports section,
    Never turned on RTÉ,
    I had thought for just one second
    They'd repeat this verbal Diaharroe'

Go on now go,
    To Sunderland:
    Your petty thoughtless points of view
    no longer in demand.
    Weren't you the ones who tried
    To hurt us with your lies?
    D'you think we'd crumble?
    D'you think we'll roll over and die?

Oh no not Us
    We will survive
    As Long as we know 'bout football
    We'll watch our matches live!
    We've got all our clubs to follow
    'Cause telly football's hollow
    The league'll survive!
    It will survive!

From the Foot.ie A Capella Ensemble
    Kapelmeister - Superfrank
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Oh Bluebeard, you are one mean fecker, making me cry laughing at work.

BRILL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Take a bow Bluebrid, that is class - any chance someone could approach Gift Grub and offer it for a sketch?
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Bluebeard, since moving to London you seem to have way too much time on your hands. I like it!.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Absolute genius Bluebeard!!
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Bluebeard, since moving to London you seem to have way too much time on your hands. I like it!.
    Join me Sligoman - together we could cripple the British productivity figures
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    Join me Sligoman - together we could cripple the British productivity figures
    Yeah but you're also lowering their unemployment rate. Vicious circle really
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Yeah but you're also lowering their unemployment rate.
    not really. he is actually maintaining it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For what it's worth there's also constant talk about 'if hurling is going to survive', and 'hurling is in big trouble' throughout the media. It too has been dying as long as its been living it seems.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    A round of applause for Bluebeard.

POTM at the very least.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in