Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 113 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    In all seriousness, I'm gettin a bit fed up at this stage. I reckon that McCarthy is committed to Ireland, that Martinez is just a sh!tstirring weasel with his own agenda and that JM'C will enjoy a successful career with Ireland. That siad, if it does turn out to be the case that he rejects a call up next month then I think he should be told thanks, but no thanks. No player is worth this bullsh!it. International football is an honour that should remain separate from the insincerity and self-centredness of club football.

Also, if this is the kind of bollo'x that Trap has been fed all week from Wigan then I think he deserves apologies from many who scathingly criticised him in recent days.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    In all seriousness, I'm gettin a bit fed up at this stage. I reckon that McCarthy is committed to Ireland, that Martinez is just a sh!tstirring weasel with his own agenda and that JM'C will enjoy a successful career with Ireland. That siad, if it does turn out to be the case that he rejects a call up next month then I think he should be told thanks, but no thanks. No player is worth this bullsh!it. International football is an honour that should remain separate from the insincerity and self-centredness of club football.

Also, if this is the kind of bollo'x that Trap has been fed all week from Wigan then I think he deserves apologies from many who scathingly criticised him in recent days.
    What he said, basically.
    There's been little, if any, comment on this from any of the parties concerned (Trapattoni, Martinez, McCarthy himself) until asked by the media. You have to imagine that, unless pressed, none of the parties concerned would have said anything.
    I'm forced to ask, why the sudden concern about McCarthy? Why not 6 months ago at the end of the 2009/2010 season? His withdrawal then was barely mentioned.
    For whatever reason, the Irish press have seized on this as the latest stick with which to beat the manager of the national side, after realising that the omission of Andy Reid was something noone wanted to read about and interest in Paul Green as a starting player lasted as long as it took to start Keith Fahey instead of him
    So, after some leading questions to senior members of the squad, and some unanswerable questions ("what is he thinking?", etc) to the management team the fourth estate has a new bugbear.
    One statement from McCarthy's representative later, and they still want more. It's almost as if they're taking notes from the treatment of Capello across the Irish Sea...
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 13/02/2011 at 1:56 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I reckon that McCarthy is committed to Ireland
    I'm of the same opinion, mind you it's based entirely on what I've previously read from, and about the guy. The impression I get is of a real level-headed type who knows exactly what he wants and playing for Ireland was/is an ambition. He's been known to have the FAI release a reaffirmation on his behalf (having been courted by then Scotland manager George Burley), reputedly had a courtesy meeting with Craig Levein when he took the job and politely declined his offer. When this thing first blew up last week, my concern was that there'd been a souring in relations between him and Trap, not an international u-turn.

Unless someone saw fit to make up a bunch of quotes and attribute them to him (Unlike Martinez, I haven't actually heard any recording of his comments), George Gray (advisor/agent) said last week "He is 100 per cent committed to playing for the Republic of Ireland and doesn’t know where this has come from." The 'this' in question being the possibility of him playing for Scotland. Well, one source has been revealed: Roberto Martinez. It was most definitely coming from him yesterday.

The question is, has James inspired those comments or is Martinez really s**tstirring, intentional or otherwise. If the guy was really having doubts, would he want it made public like that? Wouldn't he inform his current assosciation of this predicament? Calling him up for the Macedonia game would no doubt meet Martinez's criteria for forcing the player into a decision. Going back to my perception of the player himself, I'd be surprised if he'd let any potential wavering for his manager to casually announce like that. He's been with the FAI for what, four years now? Including a senior appearance against Brazil. A penny for his thoughts when he hears what Martinez had to say.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

It's worth pointing out that the player has caused none of this controversy. He's been called up for several squads and has either shown up or been injured. He's never given any indication he's thinking of changing nationalities and has stated the opposite on several occasions. The entire circus that has taken place has happened without the player's input at any stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    When this thing first blew up last week, my concern was that there'd been a souring in relations between him and Trap, not an international u-turn.
    I think there has been a souring in relations between the manager and player and that it started when he was snubbed for the Andorra game after he has pulled out of the friendlies against Paraguay etc last summer. I think everyone acknowledges he was punished for this which obviously pi**ed McCarthy off, Trap even made reference to this last week when was speaking to the media about his lack of commitment.

Something has to be done to protect our interests, when there are people in Wigan obviously battling for Scotlands. I feel someone from the FAI that whom he trusts should go and speak to him. There should be no big hullaballo about it and should be done on the quiet. We need to try and get to the bottom of his concerns. Why is it suddenly an issue, after all, he could have easily switched back long before this?

We need cool heads here and for this exact reason Trap (who I feel is the cause of this situation) should not be allowed to attend this meeting. If McCarthy has fallen out with Trap then its needs to be resolved, otherwise I think we could be facing the worst possible outcome
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Taken from the McCarthy thread on YBIG.

Posted today @ 11.03 by Howdo: Right lads you can take this whatever way ye want - i.e believe it or not

I have just go an email from James' cousin in Glasgow - this is completely genuine as I dont believe in spouting rubbish - basically I asked her if he was switching and here is her response

"No he is staying with ireland. People were spreading lies james has no intention of leaving ireland . It is just papers saying that stuff not james . James is proud of his irish roots as am I and all our family "

ye can take this whatever way ye want but I can assure you it's genuine

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ok so we have actually heard martinez, was mccarthys agent on any radio or did anyone actually hear what he said as opposed to what has been read?

From what martinez is saying, if any of it is true, then i cant see him playing for us until the summer at least.,
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    From what martinez is saying, if any of it is true, then i cant see him playing for us until the summer at least.,
    I think he might not be playing for us under Trap, and we will have been very lucky if he doesnt pursue the Scotland option. Just a feeling I get, he doesnt want to play for Scotland but not for Trap either maybe.

Sadlier in The Indo today, on Trap in general if the ''Who are you'' comment is true its a sad sad day http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2538034.html

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    "Who are you?" is something I can imagine Brian Clough saying to his own players, while knowing full well who he is.

Trap isn't one of the most successful managers in the history of football for nothing, you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I think he might not be playing for us under Trap, and we will have been very lucky if he doesnt pursue the Scotland option. Just a feeling I get, he doesnt want to play for Scotland but not for Trap either maybe.

Sadlier in The Indo today, on Trap in general if the ''Who are you'' comment is true its a sad sad day http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2538034.html
    Have to say i've been impressed by Richie Sadliers in the articles he writes and lately anytime i've seen him on TV. He is well able to speak his mind and get across his opinion. He also seems to be speaking from a players point of view and while I agree it should an honour etc to play for 'your' country, he also understands you sometimes have to pander to these players ego's.

I'm not saying McCarthy has an ego but he must feel wanted by a manager, when it seems clear Trap seems to feel he's lucky to be called into the squad while Scotland seem to be promising him anything he wants. This is obviously at the root of the problem.

Vincent Hogan said recently that Trap may feel it beneath him to go and try and convince McCarthy to play for us. After all, he has people falling at his feet for the last 40 years. For 1.7 million a year, going to Wigan to tell McCarthy he thinks the sun shines out of his ar*e should be the least he's expected to do.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Reading between the lines........."I don't want James to be playing any international football this season - we're in a fight to avoid relegation!"
    I got this impression from Martinez's comments on the matter too. So, by keeping his international future "undecided", Wigan benefit from having one of their best players fit and available and the media can create mass-hysteria in order to shift a few more papers. Maybe that's a bit far-fetched...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    "Who are you?" is something I can imagine Brian Clough saying to his own players, while knowing full well who he is.

Trap isn't one of the most successful managers in the history of football for nothing, you know.
    This was not a Brian Clough quip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Martinez is really beginning to p*** me off.... My dislike for Wigan is increasing!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCSixty/Eighty View Post
    . For 1.7 million a year, going to Wigan to tell McCarthy he thinks the sun shines out of his ar*e should be the least he's expected to do.
    I think you're missing the point here. McCarthy either wants to play for Ireland (for whom he has declared) or he can feck off. This cap in hand "please play for us" routine doesn't wash with me. He was selected (eventually) for the game against Wales and he turned that down, probably at the behest of his manager. I think a player should be approached and if he says "no, I am not Irish, I don't want to play for you" then that should be that. To hell with telling a player that "sun shines out of his ar*e" in order to declare for us.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    James McCarthy's father Willie McCarthy says he still wants to play for us. It is obvious to me that Martinez is the one spewing rubbish.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/james-...ather-2011-02/
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 13/02/2011 at 4:36 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    James McCarthy's father Willie McCarthy says he still wants to play for us. It is obvious to me that Martinez is the one spewing rubbish.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/james-...ather-2011-02/
    Willie or won't he..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I think you're missing the point here. McCarthy either wants to play for Ireland (for whom he has declared) or he can feck off. This cap in hand "please play for us" routine doesn't wash with me. He was selected (eventually) for the game against Wales and he turned that down, probably at the behest of his manager. I think a player should be approached and if he says "no, I am not Irish, I don't want to play for you" then that should be that. To hell with telling a player that "sun shines out of his ar*e" in order to declare for us.
    I think your missing the point. This is not just any kid that has decided to declare for us on the back of finding out he has an irish red setter. He has made one of the most controversial high profile decisions and recieved some of the most vile sectarian abuse in doing so. For it to have become an issue now means somewhere, somehow there has been a breakdown in communication and the only person that can carry the can for that is Trap. What I'm saying is that someone needs to get him back on board or at least get to the bottom of why his manager is making all these strange comments to see if there is any truth in them.

The telling him the 'sun shines out of his a*se' comment comes from a man management perspective. Everyone likes to feel that they are in the plans of a manager and the way Trap is behaving I get the feeling McCarthy is wondering does he fit into Traps. Why wouldnt he when he's already been dropped for not being commited enough. McCarthy must be wondering to himself how anyone can accuse him of this, when he was practically driven out of Scottish football for declaring for us in the first place! You have to wonder if Trap is even aware of this.

Just like Martinez says in every statement he makes what a fantastic player and person he is, we need to let it be made clear to him that he wanted just as much by us. Is that such a bad idea if it means we get over this impasse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Willie or won't he..
    Nice one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    It would be a major disappointment that he's reconsidering his international allegiance. TBH any other Irish manager in the past 20 years would have had McCarthy as a first team regular already. But Trap is too conservative in the midfield
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals!! Well... except for the weasel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    What I'm saying is that someone needs to get him back on board or at least get to the bottom of why his manager is making all these strange comments to see if there is any truth in them.
    He is on board. He's said that 60 billion times.

Just like Martinez says in every statement he makes what a fantastic player and person he is, we need to let it be made clear to him that he wanted just as much by us. Is that such a bad idea if it means we get over this impasse?
    What impasse? He's said there isn't one 60 billion times.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?