Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    To be honest he's good, but not that good, FFS.

Whether you like them or not, it would have been of far more relevance in the WC campaign if Trap. had brought back A.Reid & Ireland into the fold and used them both sparingly, rather than relying on extreme functionality. And even now, as we're still crying out for MIDFIELD CREATIVITY v. better teams, which even the 'genius' of Trap can't outdo....

If McCarthy's our "great white hope", we might as well give up.
    Ciaran Clark has potentially far far more of a pivotal role to play for us in the next decade than McCarthy, excellent addition that he could be....
    For the last time surely, Stephen Ireland is not available, you may as well ask why he hasn't called up Liam Brady or Lionel Messi

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I said in the last campaign. And he is 'available', just choosing not to play for reasons of, er, 'mental health'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Steven Ireland was never going to play. Andy Reid is very much a luxury player that teams have to be built around. He's not good enough for that status.

In the last year McCarthy has been better than those two by a long mile!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Poison pen Hyland stirring it big time in the print edition of the Herald tonight again, 2 page spread on it.

Media really need to butt out, all it's doing is making the issue bigger then it should be.
    Exactly,it's a non-story that's being blown out of all possible proportion for whatever reason
    Despite 3 debutants, 2 spectacular goals, and the win itself, all the questions in the press conference seems to be about a player who isn't there!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Steven Ireland was never going to play. Andy Reid is very much a luxury player that teams have to be built around. He's not good enough for that status.

In the last year McCarthy has been better than those two by a long mile!
    That's as maybe. But doesn't say much for McCarthy either. His team are hardly setting the PL alight and must be odds on to be relegated despite the table being so close.
    Still wish him well, especially for Ireland, but think people should be prepared to be disappointed unless he gets a v.high profile move, to undoubtedly become a squad player at a bigger club.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    What did Hyland say tonight?

All I could find was Giles' sensible article. Everything except his opinion on JOS's performance was bang on in my opinion.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columni...l-2532618.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    No one is saying McCarthy is going to be the messiah, but he has the potential to be a top player and deserves to be in the squad. He is our ONLY regular EPL starter centre midfielder.

I would argue we require a solid assertive centre midfielder who can play the simple pass and is comfortable on the ball more so than a particularly creative midfielder right now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What did Hyland say tonight?

All I could find was Giles' sensible article. Everything except his opinion on JOS's performance was bang on in my opinion.e
    http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columni...l-2532618.html
    Hyland had a two page spread in the print edition full of inaccuracies bitching about Trap's treatment of Andy Reid, Stephen Reid, Stephen Ireland, Robbie Kaane, Gibson and McCarthy.

Press conference is on the 6-One news
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1091235

About 41 mins in. Looking at the inerview with Trap I don't like seeing what he's saying. But it sounds like someone, whether it be McCarthy or his agent, has mentioned Scotland, I doubt that Trap's just oulling it out of the sky.

And I have to question again why the hell journos are asking the exact same questions they asked the other day when they'd already been answered, they know full well that sort of carry on drives Trap mad, all it does is antagonise him. It did Andy Reid no favours and it's really not helping this situation either, there were plenty of positives they could have focussed on, getting well ****ed off with it now....

And he's right about Gibson, look at what happened Liam Miller when he stagnated in the reserves at Man U, Gibson needs more game time then he gets at this stage of his career.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Maybe, but Gibson say must be on a par with him, status wise. And what about Wilson? Different sorts of players granted, but Wigan surely can't hang on too much longer in the PL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Just listened to extended clips of Traps press conference from this morning on the Off the Ball show, and anyone that thinks the 'media' is at fault for this fiasco needs to hear what he has been saying to realize that Trap has only himself to blame for all this.

He should not be let near a microphone when it comes to speaking about not just McCarthy but any sensitive issue. Rabbiting on about agents becoming involved trying to turn the players head and not speaking to him because when he did that with another player it made matters worse.

The man is a walking disaster when it comes to these speaking to the media regarding anything other than naming the team. He has no tact and he is obviously not taking/attending any English lessons, which is making things even worse. How long can this crazy situation go on before we lose another player! Somebody in the PR department of the FAI has to take control of the situation surely.
    Last edited by LFCSixty/Eighty; 09/02/2011 at 8:46 PM.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hmm. PR Dept & FAI are not words that fit comfortably??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCSixty/Eighty View Post
    Just listened to extended clips of Traps press conference from this morning on the Off the Ball show, and anyone that thinks the 'media' is at fault for this fiasco needs to hear what he has been saying to realize that Trap has only himself to blame for all this.

He should not be let near a microphone when it comes to speaking about not just McCarthy but any sensitive issue. Rabbiting on about agents becoming involved trying to turn the players head and not speaking to him because another when he did that with another player it turned out to be a disaster.

The man is a walking disaster when it comes to these speaking to the media regarding anything other than naming the team. He has no tact and he is obviously not taking/attending any English lessons, which is making things even worse. How long can this crazy situation go on before we lose another player! Somebody in the PR department of the FAI has to take control of the situation surely.
    I think thats the clearest and most precise post on this whole thing so far. Over the last few days by the sounds of things he does seem to be like a rambling old man.

But, it doesn't have to do with his English. He doesn't say something like !"james likes scotland, he likes ireland" and mean "james club told me he was injured". He knows what he is saying. Whether there is any truth in it is another matter entirely or just the rambling musings of a near senile old man
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    McArthur just asked about the McCarthy defection rumour on SKY. He batted the question back, but was breaking into a smirk at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Fair comment :-) but I'd take Delaney coming out with a statement at the moment, rather than have Trap blabbling on....even if English is neither of their first language.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    McArthur just asked about the McCarthy defection rumour on SKY. He batted the question back, but was breaking into a smirk at the same time.
    I expect the thread to break the 100 page mark by midnight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Trap - "Anything about McCarthy."

Cue hysterics.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    The lad alongside McArthur just whispered "tell the truth". Sensible and probably truthful answer from McArthur - He knows fcukall but Fly you are probably right cue pages of pages of nonsense on this issue.

Wonder why Levein wasnt asked the same question?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I dunno. The "he likes Ireland, he likes Scotland. He must decide himself" quote is causing me concern.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The words 'near senile old man' ring true.
    McCarthy's good, but far far more bothered about Clark being on board.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    And I have to question again why the hell journos are asking the exact same questions they asked the other day when they'd already been answered, they know full well that sort of carry on drives Trap mad, all it does is antagonise him. It did Andy Reid no favours and it's really not helping this situation either, there were plenty of positives they could have focussed on, getting well ****ed off with it now....
    Because they dont really care whether McCarthy is capped or not nor indeed if Andy Reid or Stephen Ireland was called back in to the fold - The bigger story would be Trap giving a nice expletive ridden outburst to one of the said journos (ala his time at Bayern) and that would be a far bigger and better story than anything else.........
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew