Page 65 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Considering he put up with crap from supporters in Scotland and has declared that the FAI chose him when Scotland showed no interest, why would he now listen to any requests from Levein?
    The point could be made that he decided to choose Ireland over Scotland because he felt snubbed.

If he feels snubbed by Ireland at senior level, would it be an out of character move to pull a U-turn?

I trust him when he says he's made his decision, so let's hope he stays the course.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    But Trap has shown him interest. He played against Brazil and was in the squad in May but he withdrew (I think). A bit like Noely, the old grey matter is letting me down a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    But Trap has shown him interest. He played against Brazil and was in the squad in May but he withdrew (I think). A bit like Noely, the old grey matter is letting me down a bit.
    one quick google later....
    from fai.ie: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-men&Itemid=8
    Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that injuries have ruled Richard Dunne, Marc Wilson, Kevin Kilbane, Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy out of the squad for the friendly internationals against Paraguay and Algeria at the RDS next Tuesday and Friday respectively.
    Also this popped up in the search from the Daily Record (I know, I know): http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-22314241/
    And the 19-year-old said: "It would have been great to add to my senior caps but I was nursing a niggling back injury. It was going into a spasm and affecting my hamstrings.
    "I spoke to my manager Roberto Martinez about it and he advised me to pull out of the Ireland matches in case I sustained any more damage."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    The point could be made that he decided to choose Ireland over Scotland because he felt snubbed.
    I don't think this is why he declared for Ireland though. From what I gather, he is very proud of his Donegal roots and was extremely close to his grandfather from Annagry, to whom he swore he'd play for Ireland before he passed away. Unless that story was fabricated by the media to put a more romantic spin on matters. Still, the fact he played for us at such a young age in the face weekly abuse being hurled at him from the terraces, media and fora in Scotland demonstrates a strength of character and a clear commitment to us. That should stand to him if someone ever suspects his allegiance is in doubt.

If he feels snubbed by Ireland at senior level, would it be an out of character move to pull a U-turn?
    If he did make a U-turn, there'd be no going back on it, which, if he were the mercenary type, might appear like a risky thing to do. I'm not for a moment suggesting he is of that persuasion, of course, and I'm aware you're largely speculating, but I don't see how he could feel snubbed by us, unless there is something going on with Trap behind the scenes. As I've said, to already have a friendly senior cap at 19 is a great achievement alone and he was called into our last under-21 squad, wasn't he? He'll make the competitive step up when he's fully ready. He's on a natural curve of progression and I'm sure he knows that holding out for us will pay off eventually.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    "to whom he swore he'd play for Ireland before he passed away"
    Though his Granddad was a big influence, that bit according to James, is an exaggeration.

It was mentioned in the early pages of this thread
    http://foot.ie/threads/68192-James-McCarthy?p=823277&viewfull=1#post823277

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Dunphy claimed online tonight that McCarthy pulled out of the summer training camp and friendlies complaining of tiredness and management didn't react well to that. Brady added that McCarthy will become a big player for Ireland.

Could Brady have refuted Dunphy's version of events? They don't tally with the quotes above.

Yours scurrilously,

Stuttgart88

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    More like,
    Yours in desperation for a midfield maestro right now,

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Can't help but feel that McCarthy and / or Wilson might just become the missing piece.

When's the next friendly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Can't help but feel that McCarthy and / or Wilson might just become the missing piece.

When's the next friendly?
    ..and don't forget a fit Dave Meyler.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    ..and don't forget a fit Dave Meyler.
    Regarding prospects, I'm as keen on him as I am on McCarthy. Showed tremendous promise last season. Gutted for him and us when he suffered that injury (to the knee of all places) but I hear his recovery is going great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Next friendly is Norway in...November i believe. Will defo be a new player match going by traps normal plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Next friendly is Norway in...November i believe. Will defo be a new player match going by traps normal plans
    They beat Portugal 1-0 last night, leaving the Iberians with a grand total of 1 point from 2 games against Cyprus and Norway.

Back on topic, I'd expect McCarthy to be in that squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Back off topic, Portugal started their last campaign woefully as well, only a late surge earning them a play-off. A last minute goal in Albania was needed to keep their hopes alive.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    WC heroes Denmark are in that group, at home last night they needed a gammy deflected goal in injury time to beat Iceland.
    Sort of back on topic, Norway our opponents in the next friendly, have brought back Egil Olsen to coach them, it would be the equivalent of us bringing back Jack.
    Anyway, he has them very well organised and Riise is there pumping hard up and down the wings. it won't be a pretty friendly but should have some interest.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Dunphy claimed online tonight that McCarthy pulled out of the summer training camp and friendlies complaining of tiredness and management didn't react well to that. Brady added that McCarthy will become a big player for Ireland.

Could Brady have refuted Dunphy's version of events? They don't tally with the quotes above.

Yours scurrilously,

Stuttgart88
    Having listened to it, Brady did not contradict or refute what Dunphy said. Liam added his piece to what Dunphy said. They were in harmony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Norway would be a good training session for the likes of Macedonia. I hope to see McCarthy and Stokes in that squad. Trap's non-stop searching for a hold up/flick it on striker when Doyle is miles beyond the rest. We need an adequate Robbie replacement imo.

Judging from the Brazil friendly though, do you think Trap sees McCarthy more as a wing option? Or was that just to give him a run out?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think McCarthy (nor Fahey) is physically developed enough for Trap to be comfortable playing him in the centre.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Is Egil Olsen still wearing wellies?

Geysir, I was referring to the quotes from McCarthy re-back spasms or whatever, and how they didn't tally with Dunphy's claim of "tiredness". By not refuting Dunphy, Brady was denying McCarthy's version of events.

These young lads obviously don't realise that attending get-togethers and friendlies is their key to a starting place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Geysir, I was referring to the quotes from McCarthy re-back spasms or whatever, and how they didn't tally with Dunphy's claim of "tiredness". By not refuting Dunphy, Brady was denying McCarthy's version of events.
    i remember the offiocial reason being given by the wigan manager as being tiredness. surely that wouldnt have stopped him attending the ten day end of season training camp / friendly matches? it shouldnt be held against mccarthy but he should have made a bigger effort really if it was only tiredness

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    So getting sent back to play under Givens was Purgatory?