Page 203 of 258 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,060 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    No i was asking the question, as I cannot fathom in anyway how a player wanted to play for someone but chose someone else.

I realise you had your tongue firmly in cheek when posting that, but I just find it funny that someone would say "I am certain he actually wanted to play for us." - if he did then I'm sure he would have.
    Were you not aware of our tried-and-tested methods of persuasion; abuse, intimidation and threats?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Some of the lads on the Scotland boards are really funny, I have to say.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Crosby is it true you are 10 times more likely to get bitten by a new yorker than a Shark?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    My nephew bit me yesterday but he lives in jersey. Have you ever seen the show Shark Tank though? Its not bad.
    Do you think if the NFL put a team in London full time, that it would be successful?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Is Crosby American American or cash-in-hand, can't go back to the auld sod or he won't be let back in American?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Why, you think I have Ebola?

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Brilliant.

It surprises me how many Irish follow the NFL and come to wembley. I think there is nothing more trip than an Irish guy in an NFL jersey walking around central london or drinking pints in Central London pubs wearing one.

I think it works well as a few one-off games I dont think the interest would be there for a whole season because its not really London thats snapping up the tickets its the whole of the UK and Ireland, they make a weekend out of it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Is Crosby American American or cash-in-hand, can't go back to the auld sod or he won't be let back in American?
    You should be able figure out from his posts that he is a full scale narrowback.

:P only joking Crosby.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Basketball and Hockey are far more accessible than American football and Baseball; the latter two being more of the American pastime variety.

I find it hard to believe that Irish people can just pick it up, follow it and understand it properly enough to get the most of it in their twenties or thirties. It's convoluted as f.

You can go to a Basketball or Hockey game not having to study the intricacies of it like a Quantum Physics exam - and even get to see John McEnroe in the courtside seats.

Then again, I say this, but I have seen half a dozen people who probably never heard of UFC a year ago copying Conor McGregor's man bun over the weekend in Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    My nephew bit me yesterday but he lives in jersey. Have you ever seen the show Shark Tank though? Its not bad.
    Do you think if the NFL put a team in London full time, that it would be successful?
    That's in San Jose. I cannot wait to check out a game there.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Brilliant.

It surprises me how many Irish follow the NFL and come to wembley. I think there is nothing more trip than an Irish guy in an NFL jersey walking around central london or drinking pints in Central London pubs wearing one.

I think it works well as a few one-off games I dont think the interest would be there for a whole season because its not really London thats snapping up the tickets its the whole of the UK and Ireland, they make a weekend out of it.
    My reading is similar but different in that it's Europeans and a load of Yanks coming to the games.

There is no way would the novelty sustain in the long-term.

LA is priority for the NFL at the minute and Oakland are doing a good job if convincing them that they suck enough to move back.

Basketball and Hockey are far more accessible than American football and Baseball; the latter two being more of the American pastime variety.
    Accessible as in the rules?

All sports are relatively simple you'll find. It's the nuance of them that takes time to master.

As a hockey fan of a few years standing it is really only in the last year with a period living in Canada that I'm picking up on certain idiosyncrasies. Same with watching Gridiron for the last 20 years or so.

By the time HT rolled around yesterday in the Lions-Falcons game my dad was calling out false starts and passing interference. It's not that hard to get if you have a passing interest in sports. Incidentally he hates rugby and is pretty much a football, soccer and horse racing guy so he has little interest in any vaguely similar sports.

Baseball is the simplest sport of all. One guy throws the ball at another guy with a stick. That guy attempts to hit it and then runs if he does.

Sure there are certain things that are different or new to the passing viewer but they aren't important on initial viewing. The same way that when you watch crickey learning the difference between yorker, mid-off and spin-bowling is irrelevant at the start.

I find it hard to believe that Irish people can just pick it up, follow it and understand it properly enough to get the most of it in their twenties or thirties. It's convoluted as f.
    I find it hard to believe that you find that hard to believe.

The calls in American Football made by the ref are very clear. Compare that with some of the decisions in a rugby union match; going in off the feet, offside, crooked put in, collapsing the scrum, holding on, advantage... Tell me that you have never missed those calls or wondered what the hell a ref was seeing?

You can go to a Basketball or Hockey game not having to study the intricacies of it like a Quantum Physics exam - and even get to see John McEnroe in the courtside seats.
    What the hell?

Then again, I say this, but I have seen half a dozen people who probably never heard of UFC a year ago copying Conor McGregor's man bun over the weekend in Dublin.
    What;s it to you?

---

So this James McCarthy fellow?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Where would the team play in LA though Bon Bon? Dont say the Coliseum. That's not happening. At least the London crowd got an entertaining game, which certainly cemented the Falcons coach getting whacked any day now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Where would the team play in LA though Bon Bon? Dont say the Coliseum. That's not happening. At least the London crowd got an entertaining game, which certainly cemented the Falcons coach getting whacked any day now.
    I have no idea my dear Crosby. It still doesn't stop LA being the priority for the NFL. London is a nice distraction but there is no way that it will get off the ground.
    Stick them in Dodgers or Angel Stadium while they work that out.

And yes it's probably time for Smitty to get gone at this stage. Yesterday was almost Stephen Kenny-esque.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Not convoluted at all. You get four opportunities to advance the ball ten yards (markings are even on the field to show yard by yard). If a team doesn't convert (advance the ball) in first three attempts they will generally punt the ball away. There are one or two flags more than fans would like this season, but all in all one of the most exciting games in sports (soccer and rugby included). Just came back from an NFL game a few hours ago - fantastic.

On another note, for those of us who criticise Premier League referees, they should note that NFL referees have the chance to see things in replay and still get the call wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    And when they are they don't ref again!

HQ in NYC are in contact with them for any replayed or contentious decisions.

---

So James McCarthy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I see Barry was stretchered off. Baffling. Wasn't that supposed to be James? Martinez trying to lead us off the scent again clearly, but we're on to him. He's obviously agreed with James that he'll pick up his injury-to-keep-him-out-of-Glasgow in the second half...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Some of the lads on the Scotland boards are really funny, I have to say.
    Aye, and some are in for a big shock on Friday, when they see how useful we are. I've read lots of ridiculous posts saying they'll bag 3 easy points.
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Uh oh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Uh oh...
    Looks like a pulled hamstring.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    He conceded a corner after that so it mustn't have been too bad... Please God not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29868801

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    He cleared the ball off the line too afterwards, and looked mobile enough. Think it's nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed!

Edit:

Everton tweeted that he has picked up a hamstring injury, quoted Martinex saying "It is a concern, he needs assessing and hopefully it is just fatigue."

Sigh. He was their stand-out player today. Put him in bubble wrap for the rest of the week please.
    Last edited by Philly; 09/11/2014 at 3:03 PM.

25. Thanks From: