Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 153 of 258 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Well he's already been named in the preliminary squad for the Slovakia/Russia games. That squad will have to narrowed down though and I wouldn't be surprised if he's among those dropped.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    The first time I was willing to call it a coincidence, second time bad luck. Third time I was getting fed up but prepared to put up with him because he's a young lad and working with Martinez who sounds like a tool. But this again? Enough is enough.

I honestly prefer Stephen Ireland to James McCarthey, Wilson and Walters at this stage because at least he's honest about his commitment and isn't trying to continually hide that he doesn't give a crap about internationals behind PR nonsense in the media and faked injuries. He tried it once and has been open and honest since, this new bunch must take the public for fools if they think we're going to get behind them on the rare occasion they decide to follow through on a callup.

There's no way whatsoever a player could be classified as "injured" on a wednesday and fit enough to start on a saturday. No freaking way. In all liklihood he was in a state of doing light training midweek and could very well have trained with Ireland and had some sort of gametime from the bench. To say he was injured for the game is technically a flat out lie if he could play 90 minutes 3 days later as any physio will tell you.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Hardly surprising, sure his Irish connections are only slightly less tenuous than Barack Obama's. Seems he doesn't give a balls. Pity because he's obviously one of the most exciting prospects that has been elligible for us for years. At least he can't play for anyone else until Fifa decide to change the rules again anyway. I have more time for Walters and Wilson - didn't they at least show up to be accessed by the FAI medical staff or did that never materialise?
    Last edited by youngirish; 13/08/2011 at 3:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Then why the feck did he go through all the hassle in declaring?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Then why the feck did he go through all the hassle in declaring?
    Who knows maybe the thought of playing for Scotland was even less appealing for him than lining out for Ireland?

6. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Whatever we, the supporters, think about it, the real impact of these shenanigans will be within the squad.
    I wouldn't welcome someone into the dressing room who thinks he can turn up whenever he likes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    This whole episode reminds me of that other young player who's career was skyrocketing through the roof who thought he was too big to play international football for Ireland. I'm not quite sure but I think his name was Stephen Ireland. I hear he's the Zinedine Zidane of the Reserve League Northern Section now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    In fairness to James I can understand the idea of not having a strong affiliation to any country. Being born one place, originated through your parents to another and living/working in yet another is bound to cause something like that.
    What I won't tolerate is his lack of honesty about his situation, his words say one thing and his actions another. He can either commit 100% or get lost.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Who knows maybe the thought of playing for Scotland was even less appealing for him than lining out for Ireland?
    Yea if he can't be arsed to turn up for a team ranked 33rd in the world I can't see him turning up for a team ranked 61st.

Secondly he has hardly ever impressed me when I have watched him, he seems to have a similar attitude on the pitch, ie not keen on getting involved, even when Rooney walloped him one he didn't seem bothered - lol.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just throwing this out there... maybe he was just injured? Glamorous and pulsating though the Croatia friendly was, I'm not sure it's worth risking aggravating an existing injury for.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    He was definetely injured against Villareal when he had to come off. I wouldn't be too harsh on him this time. Crying wolf once too often means he is not going to get the benefit of doubt but I believe he was genuinely injured and Trap accepted Wigan's explanation.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 13/08/2011 at 5:24 PM.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well I suppose Wigan were supposed to be without McCarthy so it could be genuine,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    How did he look today?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    How did he look today?
    some posts on the Wigan footymad site - http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=558 - say he was terrible today
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Such an ungrateful bunch. After James retired from international football to make the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Hardly surprising, sure his Irish connections are only slightly less tenuous than Barack Obama's.
    How do you figure that one?

Is it really so difficult for people to even consider that he might well have been injured? He did suffer a bad knock against Villarreal to the ankle which caused him all the bother last season and it would be understandable if precaution was taken with it, the Croatia game being a non-competitive fixture and all that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

Is it really so difficult for people to even consider that he might well have been injured? He did suffer a bad knock against Villarreal to the ankle which caused him all the bother last season and it would be understandable if precaution was taken with it, the Croatia game being a non-competitive fixture and all that.
    I agree. I don't think there was any question that he had picked up a knock and Wigan felt that it required him wrapped up in cotton wool for the wk. It would have been folly to allow him over for a international friendly a few days before the start of the season. Really can't see what the fuss is about and think it's a complete overreaction. It's the kind of sensationalism that you would associate with a tabloid like the Irish Independent, making a story where there is none, just to sell papers.

Furthermore, I think what we should be discussing is McCarthy's loss of form which Tets has pointed out. Since his 2 goals against Blackburn in Feb, I can't recall him having a good game. In fact I remember watching him in a few games towards the tail end of last season and he was perfectly awful. Judging by what Wigan fans were posting for the past few wks, his pre-season form has been awful as well, as was his performance yesterday.

I was a huge fan of him for the past few years and have been monitoring his progress closely since a little snippet appeared in the Sunday Times 5 yrs ago saying that a 15 yr old made his debut for Hamilton Accies and he had Irish connections. However, he simply has not progressed the way I hoped in the Premiership. I certainly would not have him in the Irish team on his current form. Fingers crossed he will re-discover his form soon and he will develop into the player we all hope. However, it is quite worrying at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Reckon he was genuinely injured. He certainly had no influence in Wigan's game yesterday.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Reckon he was genuinely injured. He certainly had no influence in Wigan's game yesterday.
    Interesting that Martinez played him when he was injured because he must have been injured to have played as anonymously as he did today. A bad place to be hiding when (if) you are injured !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Possibly because they are.

He has more or less stated in the past that he would have played for Scotland if they hadn't ignored him at schoolboy level. His only link to Ireland is that a single grandparent was born there. He shows no obvious appetite to play for the team unlike someone like Kilbane or McGeady who whilst also not being Irish born seem genuinely proud to show up for even fairly meaningless international games.

Anyway your post seems to imply everyone's getting on McCarthy's case because he pulled out of the last squad through injury when this is not the reality of the situation at all. I'm getting on his case because he pulls out of nearly every squad with an excuse yet still manages to turn up every weekend for Wigan.
    Last edited by youngirish; 14/08/2011 at 4:51 PM.

22. Thanks From: