Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCSixty/Eighty View Post
    Have to say i've been impressed by Richie Sadliers in the articles he writes and lately anytime i've seen him on TV.
    I've always thought that Sadlier is trying to pitch himself as being the heir to Dunphy. Much more mileage in being a Cassandra who may get it right and being able to say I told you so, than in being positive.

The whole Keane thing he refers to is daft. Walking away when not wanted is not the same as walking out if dropped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    James McCarthy's father Willie McCarthy says he still wants to play for us. It is obvious to me that Martinez is the one spewing rubbish.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/james-...ather-2011-02/
    I know he's a different kettle of fish but I do remember StepheN Ireland's Da insisting he wanted to come back into the fold a couple of years ago
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'll breath a sigh of relief when I see him in a green shirt during a competitive match. Not a second sooner
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals!! Well... except for the weasel.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I've always thought that Sadlier is trying to pitch himself as being the heir to Dunphy. Much more mileage in being a Cassandra who may get it right and being able to say I told you so, than in being positive.

The whole Keane thing he refers to is daft. Walking away when not wanted is not the same as walking out if dropped.
    Agree, comes across as a total mouth in his column. Was all mouth and no trousers when he was involved with Pat's as well......

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    I think a few on here have copped onto what is going on at this stage.

Martinez doesn't want McCarthy playing international football this season. He thinks that by announcing that McCarthy will make a decision in the summer he is onto a winner as the whole thing might die down until then and McCarthy will be exclusively available to Wigan until the end of the season.

What he doesn't realise is that what he is actually doing is unsettling his player and putting more pressure on McCarthy, himself and the club.

This will intensify if Trap calls him up next month (which I think he will) and Wigan convince him to pull out (which I think they'll try to). The whole thing will just go around in circles for the rest of the season which will negatively impact everyone involved.

Stupid, short term, view from Martinez, but there you go.

McCarthy and/or his agent need to tell him to go and jump. If McCarthy is with the Irish squad next month, even if he doesn't play, that will be enough to put the matter to bed until June at least.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Thats exactly it Eirambler.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I think you're missing the point here. McCarthy either wants to play for Ireland (for whom he has declared) or he can feck off. This cap in hand "please play for us" routine doesn't wash with me. He was selected (eventually) for the game against Wales and he turned that down, probably at the behest of his manager. I think a player should be approached and if he says "no, I am not Irish, I don't want to play for you" then that should be that. To hell with telling a player that "sun shines out of his ar*e" in order to declare for us.
    I ususally find myself agreeing with your posts - not this one.

Personally I'm very grateful that James picked Ireland in the full knowledge of the dogs abuse he was about to receive at just about every ground in the country - in the wake of Mcgeady's experience. He was not playng in cosy England and such a decision came with no little personal cost.

Should we tell him the sun shines out of his ares - No
    Should we welcome him: Yes
    Should we ignore him if he is the best Irish midfielder available: No
    Should we be proud of his induction into senior Irish football: No

Frankly he is 10x the other CMs we have. He had invested a huge amount in playng for us & I for one am both grateful and look forward to giving him a huge cheer when he starts & I desperately hope that its against Macedonia - otherwise its probably another finals missed!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    I think there is a middle ground between kissing the guys arse to get him to play for us and being as casual as Trap seems to be toward his players, a little bit of respect lacking and he is reaping the mounting rewards of that. It is a generational thing. Players dont need International football these days, financially or otherwise, and their employers dont really want them playing it. Wigan and Martinez clearly couldnt care who he plays for, neither if possible.

In these circumstances, Traps methods have made this mess. It keeps getting back to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    From what we can make out McCarthy's agent/advisor and father has said he's committed to Ireland.

However Martinez keeps stirring the pot by saying that he has yet to make a decision. If Martinez is trying to shield James from adverse publicity he sure has a funny was of doing it. He's only adding to it. He would probably be advised to just keep his mouth shut. The only motivation I can see for Martinez making these comments is that he doesn't want McCarthy playing for anyone except Wigan for the remainder of this season at least.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 13/02/2011 at 8:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Players dont need International football these days, financially or otherwise, and their employers dont really want them playing it. Wigan and Martinez clearly couldnt care who he plays for, neither if possible.

They don't need it but they still have the option. If they want to play there is nothing stopping them.

I remember 2/3 years ago when Makalele tried to retire from the French team and was called up, it was said he would receive a domestic ban if he didn't show.
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I think there is a middle ground between kissing the guys arse to get him to play for us and being as casual as Trap seems to be toward his players, a little bit of respect lacking and he is reaping the mounting rewards of that. It is a generational thing. Players dont need International football these days, financially or otherwise, and their employers dont really want them playing it. Wigan and Martinez clearly couldnt care who he plays for, neither if possible.

In these circumstances, Traps methods have made this mess. It keeps getting back to that.
    While Trap's methods leave a bit to be desired in just how old school they are I firmly believe that, if McCarthy is as committed as his advisor and his Dad are saying, it's Martinez playing silly buggers to a huge degree that has made this mess. Something was obviously said last Sunday about McCarthy being undecided, considering what MArtinez has now twice said since I don't think Trap was making it up off the top of his head.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Something was obviously said last Sunday about McCarthy being undecided, considering what MArtinez has now twice said since I don't think Trap was making it up off the top of his head.....
    I wonder if it was during his conversation with Martinez that Trap first became aware of this 'undecided' angle which he later paraphrased. ("He likes Ireland, He likes Scotland") That would make Martinez the original source of this controversy. As you said, any noise coming from everyone else close to James indicates nothing has changed. In related (non)news, the lad is on Twitter a couple of days and introduces himself as an Ireland U-21 international.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What is his twitter id?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Who would bother to make a fake Twitter account for a footballer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Who would bother to make a fake Twitter account for a footballer?
    ...Paul Hyland?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    While Trap's methods leave a bit to be desired in just how old school they are I firmly believe that, if McCarthy is as committed as his advisor and his Dad are saying, it's Martinez playing silly buggers to a huge degree that has made this mess. Something was obviously said last Sunday about McCarthy being undecided, considering what MArtinez has now twice said since I don't think Trap was making it up off the top of his head.....
    A good point, well made, it is plausible the whole thing originated from Martinez, and he is a very naughty boy if there's nothing in it. But still, a clear functioning healthy line of comunication between Trap and his player, a key young player for the nation he is payed well to manage nips this sorry mess in the bud days ago, and Trap doesnt have this, that much is clear. Why would Trap trust the word of a guy with a possible agenda against McCarthy playing for Ireland as he needs him fit to keep Wigan up.

Hard to know what to think here, but if I was McCarthy looking at Whelan, Green and Co while being bypassed, it would not sit well. I think thats understandable enough.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Did anybody see John Giles' analysis of McCarthy's performance on Premier Soccer Saturday? Basically said he's young, doesn't work hard enough for Trap's system and the team would need to be built around him with two holding players taking all the defensive responsibility from him. Also said he doesn't look to get on the ball enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Did anybody see John Giles' analysis of McCarthy's performance on Premier Soccer Saturday? Basically said he's young, doesn't work hard enough for Trap's system and the team would need to be built around him with two holding players taking all the defensive responsibility from him. Also said he doesn't look to get on the ball enough.
    Don't forget that he "looks like a game lad."

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Yeah saw this myself and have to say didn't see anything wrong with what he said. He pointed out his good points in the game and his bad points. In fairness what he said Trap wouldn't like is hard to disagree with based on how Trap sets the team up to play.
    Lets talk about six baby