Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 258 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Chelsea watch McCarthy again this weekend: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...6908-20386600/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Jamie says he'll decide on his future at the end of the season: http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/hea..._the_prize.php
    McCarthy said: "I went to Liverpool for a trial, but I wasn't ready. I'll see at the end of the season what the club and I want to do. I'm enjoying myself at Hamilton, but, if the right deal comes along, we'll need to talk about it. I'm doing really well and, hopefully, I'll keep it going. I play my own game and just get on with it."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Mccarthy seems to have maturity beyond his age and he's right to take his time and let his game progress.

However, it would be difficult for him to reject the lure of a contract in the Premiership, if the right offer comes along during the summer

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    As Hamilton were promoted to the SPL today I can see him staying on for another year, although Hamilton could cut a deal and sell him but have him loaned back for a year. He has 1 year left on his contract.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I think they'll need money and experience to compete, so they'll cash in on him now!! Just my opinion.... I don't wanna see him at Chelsea though. Somewhere like Villa or Everton I think would be a better environment for now..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I think they'll need money and experience to compete, so they'll cash in on him now!! Just my opinion.... I don't wanna see him at Chelsea though. Somewhere like Villa or Everton I think would be a better environment for now..
    yeah would be a much better decision to play for a prem club where he'll have a chance of first team action from the off. Chelsea or Liverpool could be a graveyard for him...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

McCarthy rebuffs Liverpool, Chelsea interest – report

Republic of Ireland youth international star James McCarthy will knock back a move to either Liverpool or Chelsea in order to help Hamilton Academical’s Scottish Premier League campaign next season.

McCarthy, 17, starred in the Accies’ promotion to the Scottish top flight in the season just ended.

He has been monitored by a host of clubs, with Liverpool the most persistent suitors and Chelsea and Barcelona also said to be interested.

But a report in Thursday’s Irish Independent claims that the Glasgow-born midfield starlet will spend sign a new contract at Hamilton this week

is he really as good as people make out personally i have never seen him play so cant judge?
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Saw him last year for the U-19's against Portugal, he certainly stood out in our midfield, but actual competitive games, as opposed to reserve matches, will do that to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    A fine player. Let's hope he sees sense, chooses the stay-at-home option and signs for Celtic at the end of next season.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    right move IMO at this stage of his career.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    This is an almost unheard of situation. I've never seen him play but I've been keeping tabs on him since he was first mentioned on here over a year ago. From the sounds of it, he's a good enough player to play at any club he wants - Barcelona and Chelsea don't come calling unless you're an amazing player, as we all know. I'd rather him in the youth teams than in the SPL, due to the crazy tackles we all know exist in Scotland as opposed to Spain. Why is he doing this? The only thing I can think of is that he wants to wait until he turns eighteen so that Hamilton can get more money for him maybe. I read earlier that the most they'd get for him now was 100,000 pounds Sterling but surely that can't be right when you see the likes of Arsenal buying up young players from Brazil and Argentina for millions. Maybe he is caught up in the whole promotion to the SPL thing and really feels as though he's part of a team and doesn't want to let his mates down? It all seems bizarre - cash in now lad, and take the money. One knee or ankle injury and you'll be the way of young Terry Dixon.

On a side note, if he doesn't make it with one of the big boys I'd love to see him playing week in, week out for Celtic or Sunderland. Here's hoping he's as good as he sounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    well CR, i honestly think it speaks volumes of the lads attitude and commitment to a cause. I have more respect for this decision than to take the money and spend a few more years playing meaningless reserve/youth footie.

Good on the lad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I agree wholeheartedly. It certainly is refreshing. All I'm saying is that from the sounds of it he's good enough already to be playing at a much higher level. If someone like Liverpool signed he wouldn't be getting a game but they would probably loan him out to the likes of Wolves or Leeds. Personally I think this is a much higher level than the SPL. Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself, I don't want to be building this guy up as the next Roy Keane, but he certainly seems like our brightest prospect at this point, doesn't he?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Moving clubs (and countries) didn't do Fabregas any harm so there's no guarentee a move to a 'big' club would be bad for him. Really it depends on the lad's attitude and whether or not he can stay injury-free. At 17 there is still a long way to go before he can say he's made it!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
    Moving clubs (and countries) didn't do Fabregas any harm so there's no guarentee a move to a 'big' club would be bad for him. Really it depends on the lad's attitude and whether or not he can stay injury-free. At 17 there is still a long way to go before he can say he's made it!
    But that's one case out of thousands. There might not be any harm in him moving to a big side, and the better coaching may help him, but I think he's giving himself more of a chance by playing first team football in an environment that he's used to. If he feels he's ready in a year or two then he can always move on provided he can keep up a good performance level.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    But that's one case out of thousands. There might not be any harm in him moving to a big side, and the better coaching may help him, but I think he's giving himself more of a chance by playing first team football in an environment that he's used to. If he feels he's ready in a year or two then he can always move on provided he can keep up a good performance level.
    A year or two? In today's game, you're a bust if you haven't made it by nineteen. Doyle and Hunt are the exceptions that prove the rule!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    A year or two? In today's game, you're a bust if you haven't made it by nineteen. Doyle and Hunt are the exceptions that prove the rule!
    Drogba didnt make it until he was about 26
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    I agree with that - I'm not saying staying put will necessarily harm him, just that moving to a big club won't necessarily either. I've never seen the guy - if he is good enough (and stays injury-free etc) then he'll end up at a big club eventually. Not wanting to disrespect anyone or their team, I feel that would involve him leaving Scotland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
    I agree with that - I'm not saying staying put will necessarily harm him, just that moving to a big club won't necessarily either. I've never seen the guy - if he is good enough (and stays injury-free etc) then he'll end up at a big club eventually. Not wanting to disrespect anyone or their team, I feel that would involve him leaving Scotland.
    At seventeen, i would rather see the lad spend another season at Accies were he is guaranteed first team football, then weigh up the situation.

He seems like a very level headed young man but the lure of a big money contract could be hard to resist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I think he's making the right decision. He would most certainly not be in the first team squad at Liverpool next season and definitely not be in the Barca squad either. I haven't seen the guy play, I've just heard the rumours on here and the reports from the various Irish and Hamilton games that have been posted here.
    In a sense he's taking it one step at a time, the Spl will be another level up and if he takes that in his stride we can genuinely be excited.

On another note, it pays to be patient with the national team. Since 02 the core of our midfield has been performing below par, yet only a few years later, we have what appears to be real quality on the cusp of a breakthrough, with Garvan and young McCarthy. Indeed the future may be alright.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 7 of 258 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast