Page 53 of 258 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Considering his agent's prowess, I'd say there are more than a few bigger clubs keeping an eye on his progress.
    I think it will prove to be a very smart move by James to have signed for Wigan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Jury is still out on whether McCarthy will be able for that level!
    B/C so many players his age start for a massive club playing in Europe.
    Saying the jury is still out is like saying the sun comes up in the morning. I mean can he have a full season in the Prem first?
    What other genius revelations do ya have? Is the ocean wet?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    THE FANS' PLAYER RATINGS AND VERDICT

Paul Farrington, Wiganer.net Everton are in form at the moment, so I think we did quite well. But it was the same old story. We played our possession game, but failed to convert – no cutting edge. Caldwell seems like a good buy. He organised the defence quite well, though having said that we let in a stupid goal. James McCarthy seems decent. He looks like Steven Gerrard 10 years ago and plays like him –

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...premier-league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Tardelli: McCarthy could make senior bow against Brazil: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...n-2049438.html
    Also mentions Coleman, and Greg Cunningham as possibilities in the squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Martinez speaks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8504556.stm

Wigan's James McCarthy has been urged not to be swayed by others in deciding whether to remain with the Republic of Ireland or switch to Scotland.

Club manager Roberto Martinez says the Glasgow-born 19-year-old must listen to his heart after being approached by new Scotland coach Craig Levein.

"I spoke to James and told him he should not listen to anybody," Martinez told BBC Sport.

"You need to listen to your feeling about where you want to be playing."

McCarthy has played five times for the Republic's Under-21s having qualified for them through a Donegal-born grandfather.

I know that in Scotland they made a huge meal out of it and they let him know how they felt and probably that could make a bearing on his decision

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez
    He has also become a first-team regular in recent weeks for Wigan following his £1.2m summer move from Hamilton Academical.

And Levein, who has launched a search for new talent with Scottish connections, made a fresh attempt to persuade the midfielder to switch allegiances before a likely first senior appearance confirms his future with Ireland.

But Levein last week reported that he "didn't receive any encouragement" on that front from the player who previously rejected an approach from Scotland in 2008.

"It is important for any player as representing your country is probably where you are going to be achieving your biggest memories of your career going into World Cups or European Championships," said Martinez.

"But I have said to James he needs to make his own decision.

"The moment you allow people to influence your decision, you are going to make a wrong decision."

McCarthy's choice led to media criticism and chanting from rival fans while playing in the Scottish Premier League for Hamilton, whose manager, Billy Reid criticised the Scotland set-up for failing to choose the midfielder at youth level.

MY SPORT: DEBATE
    Give your reaction to McCarthy's choice
    "He is playing for the Under-21s for Republic of Ireland and he has a clear idea of that at the moment," said Martinez.

"He has played in Scotland for many years, so he understands the football feeling around that country, so I am sure James will come up with the right decision

"I think he should not listen to anyone; maybe his mum and maybe his environment.

"But I know that in Scotland they made a huge meal out of it and they let him know how they felt when he chose Republic of Ireland and probably that could make a bearing on his decision.

"But James is a very mature boy. He is an impressive character and, if he listens to his feeling, he will make the right decision."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i never thought for a second that we would end up losing more players than we would gain from this new fifa nationality rule!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Wigan midfielder McCarthy says no to Scotland
    http://sport.stv.tv/football/155691-...o-to-scotland/

So that's settled then.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We should cap the lad to let him then concentrate on his football and end this debate once and for all

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Technically the debate could only be ended when he gets his first competitive cap - September 2010 at the earliest.

Though, I dont think Levein will push it, if McCarthy has said there is no decision to make. It will just be the Scottish Redtops and theres nothing you can do about that type of $hite
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I know by the letter of the law playing against Brazil in our next friendly would not tie him to us categorically
    but when you play against Brazil in an International match that is as high profile as it comes for a friendly and it is my belief that though it would not put the matter to bed for the anoraks (i.e. most if not all of us) then for most people that would be that.

Even though we have gladly accepted players that have played lower level matches for other countries we have never (to my mind) had a player that played in such a high profile match for another country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I know by the letter of the law playing against Brazil in our next friendly would not tie him to us categorically
    but when you play against Brazil in an International match that is as high profile as it comes for a friendly and it is my belief that though it would not put the matter to bed for the anoraks (i.e. most if not all of us) then for most people that would be that.

Even though we have gladly accepted players that have played lower level matches for other countries we have never (to my mind) had a player that played in such a high profile match for another country
    Fair points Seanfhear. But see also the parallel thread on Shane Duffy. If he'd come on in NI's summer friendly in Italy, do you think that would have stopped the speculation about him declaring for the South? I mean, I know most of the NI senior squad didn't take that game seriously enough to actually turn up for it, but we were playing the fairly high profile World champions.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't called up.

He should but as Trap as proved with Andy Reid he won't call up who the public want.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think McCarthy let Craig Levein know where his future lay. Levein seems certain that the lad is not for turning, which is great news for Ireland. Looking forward to seeing him play a full international in the near future.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Maybe I misheard but nearly sure I heard the end of an interview with Sean McCafferty talking about how "Irish" James feels ...
    the benchmark seemed to be that his Grandfather use to take him to loads of Celtic matches!!!

It sounded right up there with Keiron Westwood "I'm a good Catholic"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Fair points Seanfhear. But see also the parallel thread on Shane Duffy. If he'd come on in NI's summer friendly in Italy, do you think that would have stopped the speculation about him declaring for the South? I mean, I know most of the NI senior squad didn't take that game seriously enough to actually turn up for it, but we were playing the fairly high profile World champions.
    It would definitely make it more difficult for a player to switch and or be accepted.

I think that once a player has played in a friendly for the senior team then it is pretty difficult to switch.

I am sure it has happened a few times but up until now not that often.

Of course some people for what ever reason would not leave it at that but I believe the vast majority of fans and even players would basically say that was that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Maybe I misheard but nearly sure I heard the end of an interview with Sean McCafferty talking about how "Irish" James feels ...
    the benchmark seemed to be that his Grandfather use to take him to loads of Celtic matches!!!

If you could find that it would be appreciated. That kind of thing sickens me. 'I'm Irish, so I support SELLICK.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    If you could find that it would be appreciated. That kind of thing sickens me. 'I'm Irish, so I support SELLICK.'
    me too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post

If you have a bone to pick about that then it is with McCafferty, not James. Even with that, McCafferty was talking about a lad who was born in Scotland and was just describing a few things about his relationship with his grandfather.
    McCafferty spoke well and was close to the matter.

He also included a few interesting titbits about that Dutch lad who plays for Utrecht.
    Last edited by geysir; 09/02/2010 at 3:03 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    How unusual. A lad born in Glasgow with an Irish Grandparent uses their support of Celtic as one of his links to being Irish.

Well actually its not that unusual is it? Many of the diaspora have Celtic as one of their links to their Irish heritage. You might not like it, for whatever reason, but its a fact of life that Celtic and many things connected with the club and its fanbase have Irish links - particularly to a young lad growing up in Glasgow.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    I'm well aware of what Celtic means to people. It doesn't mean much to me.