Page 51 of 258 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    It wouldn't surprise me if Caldwell was involved in this story to be honest. He has a reputation for being a bit of a media bitch.

Nothing in it im sure. I doubt whether McCarthy has even been contemplating his International future in recent times. There are no games coming up (apart from a March friendly which has no impact on the decision) and he has just broken in to the Wigan first team which Im sure is where all his focus is on at present.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/t...ry-110496.html

...Meanwhile, Trapattoni may have a battle on his hands to keep teenage starlet James McCarthy from changing his allegiance to Scotland.

Ireland U-21 international McCarthy scored his first Premier League goal for Wigan last week and is regarded as one of Ireland’s brightest young talents.

However the former Hamilton Accies star, who qualifies for the Republic through his grandparents, is still on new Scotland boss, Craig Levein’s radar.

A report yesterday claimed that McCarthy has been alerted to the possibility of Scotland being interested in him again. Although he has played for the Republic of Ireland at U-21 level, he hasn’t yet played a full, competitive international for Trapattoni’s side, so under FIFA rules he is free to play for Scotland.

Levein is eager to spread his net as far and wide as possible to ensure he has the strongest possible pool of talent available for Scotland. He is currently putting together a database which will cover every under-age and senior pro who qualifies for Scotland and he is currently scouring the country for potential targets.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/t...ry-110496.html

...Meanwhile, Trapattoni may have a battle on his hands to keep teenage starlet James McCarthy from changing his allegiance to Scotland.

Ireland U-21 international McCarthy scored his first Premier League goal for Wigan last week and is regarded as one of Ireland’s brightest young talents.

However the former Hamilton Accies star, who qualifies for the Republic through his grandparents, is still on new Scotland boss, Craig Levein’s radar.

A report yesterday claimed that McCarthy has been alerted to the possibility of Scotland being interested in him again. Although he has played for the Republic of Ireland at U-21 level, he hasn’t yet played a full, competitive international for Trapattoni’s side, so under FIFA rules he is free to play for Scotland.

Levein is eager to spread his net as far and wide as possible to ensure he has the strongest possible pool of talent available for Scotland. He is currently putting together a database which will cover every under-age and senior pro who qualifies for Scotland and he is currently scouring the country for potential targets.
    Well they've just cogged the report, but that might be no harm as it raises awareness here that we've a potential battle on our hands, it might see him fast tracked into the next squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

Lets hope Trapattoni & the FAI are doing the same for us.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    no harm giving him a cap against Brazil. You'd hope that would further his allegiance to us...
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    cant see any truth to that rumour

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I would put the lad in the squad against Brazil and possibly play him or bring him on as a sub.

If anybody does not want to play against Brazil for whatever reason well then they must be bonkers (ahem, Stephen mad dog Ireland comes to mind)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    the Record is a rag, they've omitted the following quotes from Levein
    from http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...885047,00.html
    Levein will also follow up reports that Wigan midfielder James McCarthy is open to switching allegiance from the Republic of Ireland, who he has represented at under-21 level, to the land of his birth.
    "What I first need to do is establish whether there's any truth in that," the former Dundee United boss said.
    So McCarthy and Levein haven't even spoken about him changing his allegiances
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Boll0cks! This bloody thing is gaining momentum. Hope to God he comes out and makes a statement - and soon. This sort of thing could turn a young player's head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Sent the following e-mail to the FAI

To whom it may concern:

I along with many posters on www.foot.ie are concerned following several newspapers reports (see links below) stating that U-21 starlet James McCarthy intends to switch allegiances from the Republic of Ireland to Scotland.

Can someone set the record straight regarding this rumour?

Thanks and regards

I"ll let 'yous' know when I get a reply, IF I get a reply
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Sent the following e-mail to the FAI

To whom it may concern:

I along with many posters on www.foot.ie are concerned following several newspapers reports (see links below) stating that U-21 starlet James McCarthy intends to switch allegiances from the Republic of Ireland to Scotland.

Can someone set the record straight regarding this rumour?

Thanks and regards

I"ll let 'yous' know when I get a reply, IF I get a reply
    Disappointed with your mail there Deekydee. No mention of kissing John Delaney or offers of free meals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I have it on very good authority from a well known poster on that other board who talks to James that this is complete rubbish.
    If you dont believe me PM him yourself.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I have it on very good authority from a well known poster on that other board who talks to James that this is complete rubbish.
    Which board?
    Which poster?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    the Record is a rag, they've omitted the following quotes from Levein
    from http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...885047,00.html

So McCarthy and Levein haven't even spoken about him changing his allegiances
    Exactly - its just an old story dressed up and reprinted by a rag.

Levein knew nothing of the story and said if there is any truth in it then obviously he will follow it up.

Here it is from the horses mouth (first few minutes)
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/...0126-0113a.mp3
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    You mean Tuff Paddy who also had good contacts in the Italian FA and confirmed the Italy game for Rome last April.

You can only pull that stunt once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    You mean Tuff Paddy who also had good contacts in the Italian FA and confirmed the Italy game for Rome last April.

You can only pull that stunt once.
    Thye game WAS scheduled for Rome. The Italian federation were requested to move it to maintain the prestige of the Olympic Stadium for some UEFA gig a few weeks later.

Bari was not the original choice and through the offices of a certain frenchman Mr Platini pressure was put on the Italians to move it from Rome.

As for James McCarthy I am aware of the relationship Tuff Paddy has woth hom and for the record Levein has also clearly stated today that he has not made a move for the kid.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Thye game WAS scheduled for Rome. The Italian federation were requested to move it to maintain the prestige of the Olympic Stadium for some UEFA gig a few weeks later.

Bari was not the original choice and through the offices of a certain frenchman Mr Platini pressure was put on the Italians to move it from Rome.

As for James McCarthy I am aware of the relationship Tuff Paddy has woth hom and for the record Levein has also clearly stated today that he has not made a move for the kid.
    That Platini story was total bullsh1t. The game was never fixed for anywhere by the Italian FA. The Rome story was another "we're going to Boston for the 1994 world cup" story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    That Platini story was total bullsh1t. The game was never fixed for anywhere by the Italian FA. The Rome story was another "we're going to Boston for the 1994 world cup" story.
    Neither the venue or Platini's intervention is BS. One of the FIGC's own media people confirmed this during a face to face chat in Bari.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Neither the venue or Platini's intervention is BS. One of the FIGC's own media people confirmed this during a face to face chat in Bari.
    Platini is head of UEFA. It was a FIFA game. He couldn't intervene anyway as UEFA still had the potential to host a champions league quarter final and semi final in Rome after the Ireland game but before the final.

If the Italians had chosen a venue they would have announced it.

A couple of people jumped the gun, made assumptions aka Boston in 94 and had to have a reason to backtrack.

The game was "fixed for Rome" very soon after the fixtures were decided. This was never the case and even a small bit of research would have shown that Italy play all over the country.
    Last edited by gspain; 26/01/2010 at 6:56 PM. Reason: typo