Page 243 of 258 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    post restored, I didn't get the reference
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Maybe you should restore all the others too, but move them to the designated pun thread - https://foot.ie/threads/144052-Conor-Sammon/page26

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    maybe not
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    The only sensible way to live is without rules.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    The only sensible way to live is without rules.
    Is that a rule ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Rules matter.

And some mods have the Matterhorn.

Enjoy this till it disappears.

C'mon Tets - of all the reasons to delete posts, that is the least valid. With the downright OTT tone of of some of the posts on this site recently, I'd have thought a few yowser puns might have lightened the mood a bit. Restore the posts.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is that a rule ?
    Its just a quote from the Joker - Tets' avatar - thought it was ironic but maybe not - The Joker probably hates puns.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Starts today. Be nice if they brought him into squad cant see whelan doing 2 games in 3 days. Great to see McCarthy get a start

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    What a day.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Was very good. Switched for Townsend with 10 mins left. Certainly was more impressive than rice was for west ham. Would love mick to call him in .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He was very good. I made a point about Brady, McCarthy, Connolly, Long and Obafemi being PL players and omitted. Two of that five started and put their hands up today.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He was very good. I made a point about Brady, McCarthy, Connolly, Long and Obafemi being PL players and omitted. Two of that five started and put their hands up today.
    Yeah I agree curtis isn't at this level its lucky his issue has allowed Connolly in but obafemi is just as worthy I think. I would have Brady in as well he has quality we will need at some point off the bench. Not picking long also seems odd to me with that pace and willingness in games where we will at some point need to try and get up the pitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Does anyone have a times subscription? From last week https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...play-x9ttkgdd5 kinda weird
    I said I'd post it here instead, ES. It's bizarre to me also that he wouldn't want to get minutes into his legs against New Zealand. It would even benefit Hodgson and Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by The Times UK
    James McCarthy: I would never hide away and say ‘no I don’t want to play’

Midfielder is keen to return to the Ireland set-up but knows he must first establish himself at Crystal Palace

Three years on from when he last played for Ireland, James McCarthy walks into a room at the Crystal Palace training ground looking slimmer and trimmer than ever before. It is something of a false anniversary; he did after all make the field of play for the game against Wales in March 2017 only to pull up in the warm-up with a recurrence of a hamstring injury that had become an international incident involving Martin O’Neill, Roy Keane and various Everton managers and was a harbinger of one of the issues which would bring down that Ireland management team.

McCarthy is keen to talk about the future and the fact that he sees himself resuming his international career when he can get back to playing regularly again, but he is also happy to clear up one or two questions which linger from that difficult period.

“Nobody forced me to do anything, either at Everton or Ireland,” says McCarthy. “When I was fit I wanted to play and unfortunately at that time I was stuck in a rut with injuries. I would play one or two games and get injured and then be out for six weeks, then come back and play two or three games, so it was just a difficult spell.”

Firstly Roberto Martinez, who signed McCarthy from Wigan, and then his successor as Everton manager, Ronald Koeman, skirmished with both O’Neill and Keane over the availability of McCarthy, with Seamus Coleman also caught in the crossfire.

Among the memorable quotes in that severe bout of gunboat diplomacy was one from Keane saying he was expecting Everton players to “crawl in the hotel door” when reporting for international duty, while Koeman accused Ireland of “killing” McCarthy, before matters came to a head in that Wales game.

“It was awkward for me — difficult,” said McCarthy last week. “Everton didn’t want me to go to with Ireland one of the times. I was injured. Then I tried to do the warm-up and I felt my hamstring go, it was the same one. If I am fit I want to play. I felt fit that day and I had done a few fitness tests over the week and I felt good. But if I felt fit I would say that I am fit. I would never hide away and say ‘no I don’t want to play’.”

McCarthy managed to work his way back into the Everton team under Sam Allardyce. Then, out of the blue, disaster. In a match against West Brom in January 2018, Salomon Rondon attempted to shoot on goal only to strike McCarthy powerfully on the back of his right leg instead, resulting in a break of the tibia and fibula which was so bad that the skin was pierced by the broken bone. It was an injury even worse than the one which Coleman had suffered while on international duty the previous year and as his teammate was returning to fitness, McCarthy leaned on him for support.

“Seamie said to make sure you get home and spend some time with your family. Switch off from football. There were dark times during that injury when I could hardly get off the bed. I was basically bed-bound for six weeks and it was a long road, but after you get back walking, jogging and cycling and doing a few things you start to think there’s light at the end of the tunnel and it is not too far away.”

As it happens McCarthy has been fit for nearly a year now, but much of that time was spent unsuccessfully trying to win round the latest Everton manager on the block, Marco Silva, who made it clear that McCarthy wasn’t part of his plans.

Palace manager Roy Hodgson has long rated him highly and James McArthur has been a friend since he played with him at Hamilton as a 15-year-old, so McCarthy’s first move down south made sense. With him have come his partner and their seven-month-old son. Palace’s steady start to the season has meant that it has been difficult for McCarthy to break through and so far he has made only one start in the Premier League, when Luka Milivojevic was suspended. Clearly, club football is the priority for McCarthy at the moment. When he was named in the provisional squad for the last two competitive games, a conversation was had with his namesake Mick and the midfielder didn’t make the final list.

“I spoke to him and he understands that I need to get back playing again,” McCarthy says. “I want to play week in week out and hopefully we can qualify for the Euros next summer with the game against Denmark, but I want now to stay injury free, get a run of games here at Palace and ensure that once I get in the team I can stay in the team.”

That probably means that when Mick McCarthy cuts down his latest squad for the game against Denmark, James McCarthy won’t be in it. It is a frustrating position for Ireland supporters especially since the New Zealand friendly a few days before the Denmark game, could be used to sharpen up McCarthy.

Still such is the dearth of quality in Ireland’s midfield at present that the manager can only hope that McCarthy rediscovers his best form from his days in the Premier League at Wigan Athletic and is then prepared to resume his Ireland career, which has been stop-start from virtually the word go.

One thing is certain; the Ireland manager and Palace will work things out without the public slanging matches which marked McCarthy’s international career when he was at his last club. The medical theme in the Ireland camp was later repeated when it came to the fitness or otherwise of Harry Arter and Jon Walters, and it contributed to the demise of the O’Neill/Keane reign.

Mick McCarthy will avoid falling into that trap, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be all over the moment when James McCarthy returns.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Don’t really get the logic. Game time would’ve been good for him against NZ, no??

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Came on for the full second half as Palace beat Bournemouth down a man.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Palace in 5th!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    McCarthy and Brady in the team for the play offs ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I would have Mccarthy anyway, he is our best DM by a country mile

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Have to be, if playing regularly and well. We've had a bit of a makeshift look precisely because they have been absent injured for so much of the campaign (Clark and Long, also, to a lesser extent)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Starts today for Palace. Whether he’s still interested in playing for us is another story