Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 181 of 258 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    note to self. never disagree with James McCarthy.
    about anything.
    ever.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    He won the ball. I thought a free against was harsh
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Don't think it matters much if you win the ball or not, it just a matter of whether it is dangerous.
    The results suggest it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Don't think it matters much if you win the ball or not, it just a matter of whether it is dangerous.
    The results suggest it was.
    Maybe so but collisions will happen regardless.
    I think what it comes down to is intent.
    He definitely had intent to win the ball but did he have intent to cause physical harm to the other player?
    Well, the ref was closer than me so I'll have to take his word for it over mine
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Maybe so but collisions will happen regardless.
    I think what it comes down to is intent.
    He definitely had intent to win the ball but did he have intent to cause physical harm to the other player?
    Well, the ref was closer than me so I'll have to take his word for it over mine
    I am not to sure these days, it used to be if you got the ball it it was fine, then you were not allowed to
    go in with two feet or something like that. But it seems to have gone full circle from virtually anything goes
    to a hardly anything is allowed.

This is what FIFA says

Careless, reckless, using excessive force

“Careless” means that
    the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making his challenge or that he acted without precaution:
    no further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent:
    a player who plays in a reckless manner shall be cautioned

"Using excessive force” means that the play has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger ofinjuring his opponent:
    a player who uses excessive force shall be sent off

Seems it was deemed reckless, I can see the logic in that. There was no intent to injury but an injury was likely.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 29/03/2013 at 12:34 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's only a flesh wound.
    It looks like McCarthy left studs did the damage to scrape Junuzovic's left knee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It's one of those tackles which requires to people, if James has got injured the ref would have booked the other player.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Wigan are doing it again. With their form and that of Southampton and Villa, it looks like it may be Reading, QPR and Sunderland that'll go down. Looks like being a fairly productive season for Mac with his progress with Ireland and hopefully an FA Cup Final as well.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Wigan always play great for the last ten matches or so of the season. I picked Kone and Maloney up for my fantasy team last week.

Reading are 1/20 to go down, and QPR are 1/5. Fair to say that there's not much chance of either of them surviving.

The eighteenth spot in the Premiership will be very interesting. Sunderland, Aston Villa, and Wigan (in that order) are next, and one of those three will almost certainly go down.

from betfair: Sunderland 2.7, Aston Villa 2.96, and Wigan, 3.15.

Sunderland going down would see McClean and O'Shea in the Championship, Villa would see Given and Clark, and Wigan McCarthy, though I'd be willing to bet he'd be snapped up immediately by a Premiership club like Liverpool or even Arsenal if they got relegated.

Other than Hull, can anyone give us a round-up of the Irish players likely to be promoted this May into the Premiership?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Other than Hull, can anyone give us a round-up of the Irish players likely to be promoted this May into the Premiership?
    All here: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Comp...ompetitionID=2
    (need to update a few players though)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

13. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Many, many thanks for that link.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Showing plenty of attacking intent vs QPR but Wigan haven't made many chances.

QPR have been down to 10 men for most of the match after Phil Dowd decided to punish Bobby Zamora's high tackle not only with a red card but, according to the BBC report, by sentencing him to death.

It's a straight red for Bobby Zamora. The striker's tackle was late and high, booting Jordi Gomez on the chops. Referee Phil Dowd discussed the challenge with his assistant Scott Ledger and decided to inflict the ultimate punishment on the former West Ham man.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think Trap has a point on McCarthy and the need for the lad to impose himself on the game. At Wigan, he seems to play a more defensive role, letting the likes of McArthur and McManaman to do the attacking. Having said that he does alot of the 'simple stuff' very well, tracking back, five yard passes etc, the sort of stuff Roy Keane was exalted for. He does need to add the presence that Keane had to his game to be move to the next level.

From an Irish point of view, I think Wigan probably would be our choice to go down out of Sunderland, Villa and Wigan? Good chance McCarthy would end up back in the PL next season even if Wigan go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I think you have to get the balance right between attack and defence, I think
    he is perhaps trying to get forward to much now or taking too big a risk where as in the past he
    was perhaps doing the opposite. You see the goal they conceded here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OamnrGm2C0M

They should have at least one man back as an insurance policy, the risk they took pushing so many men
    forward far out weighted any benefit they were going to get from having so many man forward IMO.

They are nearly caught out in a similar fashion a few minutes before that but it seems they learned no
    lesson from that.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 08/04/2013 at 3:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Manchester United keeping an eye on McCarthy, apparently: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3912/...arlet-mccarthy

Manchester United are monitoring highly-rated Wigan midfielder James McCarthy, Goal.com understands.

Scouts for the Premier League leaders have been tracking the progress of United loanee Angelo Henriquez at the DW Stadium this term but the 22-year-old Ireland international has also caught their eye.

Sir Alex Ferguson has been made aware of the midfielder's impressive performances for the relegation strugglers, and is keen to keep further tabs on the youngster believing him to have strong potential sell-on value, given his age.

The United boss is keen to accrue a group of talented youngsters to secure the club's long-term future at the top of the Premier League and McCarthy, who is thought to be available for around £10 million, would fit the ideal profile at Old Trafford.

McCarthy, who moved to Wigan from Hamilton Academical four years ago, signed a new five-year contract with the Latics in 2011, but Roberto Martinez is keen to conduct further talks regarding an extension to that deal in order to secure his future at the club.

The 22-year-old has become a pivotal member of Martinez's first-team squad at the DW Stadium, epitomising the club's attractive passing style alongside the likes of James McArthur and Jordi Gomez in the Wigan midfield.

Liverpool are also thought to be keeping tabs on the Ireland starlet, who has received 11 caps under Giovanni Trapattoni for the Boys in Green.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I could sort of see McCarthy slotting in to the United midfield, they do have some problems keeping that section of the pitch staffed. Giggs in CM against City didn't work out too well, Anderson is (reportedly) moving on, think Scholes is calling it quits again, Kagawa plays more forward anyway. They have Carrick and Cleverley though, so you'd wonder how many games McCarthy would get.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    He'd never play another international friendly again so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Unfortunately Roberto Martinez has a wife who was born a City supporter.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Prior business dealings too, with Valencia. I could see it happening, but I wouldn't think it would be the smartest move for him, Liverpool might be a better bet.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I wouldn't have any faith in goal.com as a source. And the guy who wrote the article has, in the past week alone, linked McCarthy with United, Kompany with Bayern Munich after a "bust-up" with manager Martinez and Goetze with all the top English clubs. Bull**** merchant, in other words.