Page 15 of 258 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidz1 View Post
    On his withdrawal from next weeks squad, it would have been easy for him to quash all the rumours with a one-liner telling us of his intention to continue wear the green of ireland.
    Well in this interview last week, he said:

“I won’t be changing my mind. I’ve been part of the Republic set up for too long now and I’m proud to be part of it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by therock67 View Post
    I hope he does stick with Ireland but he's a long, long way from being "one of the outstanding performers in the SPL." He has about 10 appearances in the league and he hasn't set it alight. He's a kid though and has alot going for him.
    From what little I've seen of him he doesn't seem to be that type of player... which is why I like him. He's extremely solid and consistent, not just a player who drifts into a game to do something amazing and then disappears again.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As for switching to Scotland, I can't see why he would... it's not like they can offer him more money... and he's not going to be in Scotland for much longer, so won't have to worry about getting any stick from the fans.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well we shall see. He's under a lot of pressure so I hope the FAI is doing its best to remind him how important he could be to Ireland. As fans, we can supportive as both he and McGeady have gone through a lot of stick.

I'm a big admirer of McGeady for doing what he did and for resisting all efforts to change allegiences.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    Well we shall see. He's under a lot of pressure so I hope the FAI is doing its best to remind him how important he could be to Ireland. As fans, we can supportive as both he and McGeady have gone through a lot of stick.

I'm a big admirer of McGeady for doing what he did and for resisting all efforts to change allegiences.
    Someone should be over to have a word with him but with his immediate boss at present being Givens that would worry me.

I was listening to the radio last night and heard the story on the sports news about him switching and then heard the ad for the new Lansdowne with Houghton talking about Stuttgart and thought he'd be a good man to have a word in his ear and tell him how good atying part of out set up could be for me. Someone from the backroom staff should have a word anyway, even Mick Martin or the like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Someone should be over to have a word with him but with his immediate boss at present being Givens that would worry me.

I was listening to the radio last night and heard the story on the sports news about him switching and then heard the ad for the new Lansdowne with Houghton talking about Stuttgart and thought he'd be a good man to have a word in his ear and tell him how good atying part of out set up could be for me. Someone from the backroom staff should have a word anyway, even Mick Martin or the like.
    if he wants to play for us he shouldnt need to be persuaded. if he has to be persuaded then we dont want him . simple as

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if he wants to play for us he shouldnt need to be persuaded. if he has to be persuaded then we dont want him . simple as
    It's not that simple for me, he's obviously being put under a lot of pressure from his team manager and various bods in the SFA and Scottish management structure. The lads only 17, a word of encouragement would go down well in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    It's not that simple for me, he's obviously being put under a lot of pressure from his team manager and various bods in the SFA and Scottish management structure. The lads only 17, a word of encouragement would go down well in my opinion.
    Agree completely.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    The Indo is reporting that both McCarthy & Don Givens thought he was tied to us after he played a U-21 game. Shocking or maybe not that Givens is unaware of eligibility rules at international level. What a bunch of muppets we have, it's like Stan talking about bring in players over the age of 21 who had already represented England at under-age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Just watched the Celtic game there from the other day. McCarthy didn't stick out as being exceptional, but what did impress me was the fact that he didn't look out of place, which young players often do, especially when up against a team the likes of Celtic.

These reports about him switching do not look promising at all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Reading that same Indo article and Givens is quoted as saying the following:

"In that talk (ahead of the Portugal match) he was under the same impression that I was, that the U-21 match tied him down, so anything else that might go on is not in my court."

Call me silly, but I'm just a fella who posts on an Irish website and I know that playing for the under-21's is not enough to tie you to the national team. You would think, nay you would bloody well expect, that the manager of the Under 21 team would have the wherewithall to know this.

Completely unacceptable. Givens should and indeed must be removed.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    How can we get him removed? The man is a disaster.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The verdict on Newstalk last night was alot more promising..

They had a scottish journalist who is apparently "In The Know" claiming that McCarthy is still very much committed to Ireland..

There was talk from the presenters that he has been known to play with Tri-Colours on his boots.

We'll see.... But Givens has to go...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Givens will be there as long as Delaney is in charge. Remember who was charged with finding the new manager but Givens. That is how highly Delaney thinks of him.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    From today's Indo: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-1492508.html
    Seems like there's little to worry about and he will stay with the Republic. Fair play to the lad, I can only imagine the abuse he's going to get in the SPL for this decision
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There's a fair bit on the press over here suggesting that he is indeed meeting Burley to have talks. Lets just hope he's doing it out of courtesy which may well be the case.

I agree with the general line of thougght that if he wants to play for us he will and if not he won't. He has always suggested he's very happy with us though so it would be a big turnaround in my eyes if he did switch.

Funnily enough against Celtic where most people thought of him having an average game (which is still excellent given his age and the fact they were playing Celtic away), his manager was quoted in one of the Sunday papers saying that he felt in the first 20 minutes McCarthy was overwhelmed but then he came into it a bit more. He still felt it was probably his worst performance for the Accies in a long time!!

Can only be a good sign.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Good article from the Indo. earlier in the year about McCarhty's background etc..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...e-1252257.html

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    There's a fair bit on the press over here suggesting that he is indeed meeting Burley to have talks. Lets just hope he's doing it out of courtesy which may well be the case.
    As far as I recall, when McGeady was close to a senior call up for us, the then Scotland Manager, Bertie Vogts, arranged a meeting with him to try and persuade him to play for Scotland. McGeady attended the meeting out of politeness but never had any real intention of changing teams. I'd say that this is a similar scenario. Also, Trappatoni said yesterday, unprompted on the subject, that he would talk to him shortly and that he would probably call him up to the senior squad for the friendly against Poland next month.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think it's all very encouraging, the Scots were going to try to come for him eventually, but he has said he's not going to change. I'm glad that he's *finally* being talked about by senior management and I'm delighted that he might be called to play against Poland - that would be great to see... but it would not tie him down to us, as it is not a competitive match.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    We have Tuff Paddy's inside word on the matter, that's as good as it can get