Page 14 of 258 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    If he keeps getting his game in the SPL then play him against Poland in November. Let's cap him and move on.
    Yes we should call him up now for Poalnd game (thats if they have an FA) before he thinks about changing, although dont think he will myself but better to be safe as they say

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    http://tribalfootball.com/?q=content...-whiz-mccarthy

Just seen this, his remarks at the end are encouraging to say the least!
    Rossy Forsyth mentions Burley moving for him in the indo today to boot, really think we should cap him and be done with it.

'Hamilton are a decent side who fully deserved their promotion from the First Division last season and their eager crop of youngsters -- James McCarthy is just 17, for example -- look likely to prosper in years to come.

Swap

Although McCarthy is Scottish he can play for the Republic of Ireland as his grandfather is from Donegal. But as long as the player is under 21 he can swap allegiance and George Burley, the Scottish manager, is hoping to persuade him to do just that.'

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...l-1490610.html

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought it had to be a competitive game nowadays to tie a player down?

But I don't think we need to worry about capping him asap... if I were him I'd be put off by us wanting to just give him one cap now and maybe never play him again just so he can't change his mind.

He's told us (and Scotland) that he won't be changing his mind. Trust him. That will only make him more happy to commit when the time is right... which I don't think is too far off in any case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1006/mccarthyj.html

Could he be lining up in navy blue yet?
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He is not much good anyway. hes equivalent to deegan of Bohs I would say. Neither will ever be regular senior Internationals.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Judging by reports and statements coming from Scotland he's in talks about allegiance switches - if he's adamant he wants to play for us why is he in talks with the Scottish FA

I'm seriously worried by this development
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    He is not much good anyway. hes equivalent to deegan of Bohs I would say. Neither will ever be regular senior Internationals.
    Are you on glue??
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    If he wants to play for us and is eligble - he can play if and when he is picked,

If he doesnt want to play for us nobody is forcing him - i dont agree with giving him a cap at senior level just to tie him to us but primarily just to prevent somebody else (Scotland) having him.

If he sees Ireland as his country then there is nothing to worry about.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'm a little torn to be honest. I want to tie him down to Ireland but I agree, what's the point of getting someone who really isn't sure for whom he wants to play for? Maybe just let things sit, continue to call him up for the under 21's and then, if he is good enough, call him up for a full cap. If he's not interested then we move on.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    I'm a little torn to be honest. I want to tie him down to Ireland but I agree, what's the point of getting someone who really isn't sure for whom he wants to play for? Maybe just let things sit, continue to call him up for the under 21's and then, if he is good enough, call him up for a full cap. If he's not interested then we move on.

Sounds to me like he is committed, but that commitment might dissipate if he is subject to the baleful influence of Don Givens for any extended period. He is by all accounts one of the outstanding performers in the SPL (admittedly not amongst the greatest leagues in the world), if he is good enough to play international football we should pick him, and not be deterred by his age. If he is left to fester in under-age teams whilst obviously inferior players make the full squad, he may be just tempted to change his mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    There is too many people ahead of him to be included now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    If his hearts not in it let him go... WE cap him now and he's not fully committed we could wind up with another Steven Ireland.

Saying that the FAI should be in regular contact... Highlight the fact that a)they didn't rush to cap him needlessly out of some misplaced attempt to trap him because B) they are interested in HIM and what's best for HIM, keeping pressure of HIM, encouraging HIS development at the rate that's best for HIM etc etc.... (You get the drift)
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Are you on glue??
    That was coming from the same guy that keeps saying that Daryl Murphy is better than Robbie Keane... hes just trying to wind people up and get a reaction
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Having thought about it there could be some merit in giving him the cap... if he really is committed to us then all this Scotland talk will be an unwelcome distraction for him. Capping him would end that and maybe take some pressure OFF him?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The Scottish Sun interview in full:

The Hamilton starlet has come under fire from critics who believe he should have pledged his future to his own country.
    But he insists that simply wasn’t an option — because no one from the SFA bothered to ask.
    McCarthy, 17, won his first Under-21 cap for the Irish in a 2-2 draw in Portugal last week.
    But McCarthy has admitted he WOULD have chosen the dark blue of Scotland over the green of Ireland if he’d had the option.
    He said: “I know people have been giving me stick and they’ll probably continue to do so but that’s not my problem.
    “The fact is if Scotland had asked me to play first I would have said ‘yes’.
    “They didn’t though, Ireland did and I don’t regret that decision for a minute.
    “Even if Scotland had come in afterwards I would probably have had a major dilemma on my hands but it was never a decision I had to make.
    “Fans can give me stick if they want but you can’t choose to play for a country if the option isn’t there.”
    Under FIFA rules a player has one chance to change his mind over which country to play for before turning 21.
    Scotland Under-21 boss Billy Stark has already made moves to persuade McCarthy to switch sides.
    But the Accies kid — who rubbished claims he only chose Ireland to please his Donegal-born late grandad Paddy — insists there is no way he will perform a U-turn.
    He said: “I won’t be changing my mind. I’ve been part of the Republic set up for too long now and I’m proud to be part of it.
    “I loved the experience with the Under-21s and it was brilliant to get my first cap.
    “People think I chose to play for the Republic because my granda asked me to.
    “It wasn’t his last wish, like some people think. He always said he would have loved to see me play for Ireland but that’s not the reason I made my decision.
    “The chance came for an international cap and I decided to go for it because Scotland never asked me.
    “There was never any indication they were going to either.
    “I know I’m still young but I wanted international experience and it meant a lot for me to get it with Ireland.”
    McCarthy is still buzzing from the sublime volley that sealed a 2-1 win for Accies at Aberdeen last week — and he’s hoping there’s more to come from him and Accies.
    He added: “I was just glad to finally get off the mark. I really need to add more goals to my game and hopefully it will be the first of many. Scoring a goal in the SPL feels better than scoring a goal in the First Division. It was brilliant.

Advertisement

“It’s been disappointing when we lose but the boys are learning more about themselves in defeat.
    “The boss, Billy Reid, always told us it would come, it was all about how we handled it.
    “But we’ve shown we can come back from defeats by going to places like Aberdeen and winning.
    “The SPL’s definitely a big step for us all. It’s sharper and quicker but I think we’re handling it pretty well so far.”
    New Hamilton defender Martin Canning faces up to his old side Hibs today desperate to shut up the Easter Road text pests.
    Canning, who quit Hibs for Accies on transfer deadline day, said: “I have a lot of good friends at Hibs but, of course, for 90 minutes it won’t be so friendly because we all want to win the game.
    “There’s been a few text messages and phone calls as there always is when you come up against an old club.
    “I have been in touch with David van Zanten a lot because we used to travel through together and I have also had a few texts from Chris Hogg.
    “It would be great to get the points in this game and have back-to-back wins after we beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie.
    “I signed at Hamilton until the end of the season and have been very impressed with the set up, but more importantly the players.
    “They’ve a tremendous attitude and belief in each other.The players here who have impressed me are the two Jameses, McCarthy and McArthur, plus Brian Easton.“
    Hamilton have no new injury worries and boss Billy Reid has signed Australian right-back Trent McClenahan, who was at Hereford for the past two years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Having thought about it there could be some merit in giving him the cap... if he really is committed to us then all this Scotland talk will be an unwelcome distraction for him. Capping him would end that and maybe take some pressure OFF him?
    Good point... forgot about that side of it.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Pulled out of the Under 21 squad by his club due to a 'thigh strain'. Doesn't bode well in my opinion. He's non comittal in his quote as well. Yet in the Indo Givens says he's still expecting him over and says he'll talk to him then. Get on the phone to him you half wit!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-20781008/

HAMILTON starlet James McCarthy has been pulled out of the Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad for next week's friendly against Lithuania because of injury.

The midfielder's withdrawal comes in the wake of reports that George Burley wants him to pledge his international future to Scotland.

The 17-year-old yesterday refused to be drawn on a weekend story that the national coach has ordered his backroom staff to pull out all the stops in a bid to switch his allegiance.

McCarthy was born in Glasgow but initially overlooked by the SFA and then capped by the Republic thanks to a grandfather from Donegal, the late Paddy Coyle.

He has represented the Irish up to under-21 level but rules state that as he has not yet received a full cap he can switch allegiances to the country of his birth up until the age of 21.

The Irish FA are said to be confident McCarthy will remain their player and it has been suggested he is likely to stick with the Republic.

But his withdrawal from the Republic's Under-21 squad to face Lithuania next Tuesday because of a thigh strain will do nothing to quell the speculation over his international future.

But McCarthy remained tight-lipped yesterday. He said: "I was supposed to be away with Ireland for a friendly but the gaffer has pulled me out because of a slight thigh strain.

"I don't want to speak about the stories about Scotland because I haven't spoken to the gaffer about it yet."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Sounds to me like he is committed, but that commitment might dissipate if he is subject to the baleful influence of Don Givens for any extended period. He is by all accounts one of the outstanding performers in the SPL (admittedly not amongst the greatest leagues in the world), if he is good enough to play international football we should pick him, and not be deterred by his age. If he is left to fester in under-age teams whilst obviously inferior players make the full squad, he may be just tempted to change his mind.
    I hope he does stick with Ireland but he's a long, long way from being "one of the outstanding performers in the SPL." He has about 10 appearances in the league and he hasn't set it alight. He's a kid though and has alot going for him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    "I don't want to speak about the stories about Scotland because I haven't spoken to the gaffer about it yet."
    Ah... We may forget about it so!!!

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Only watched hamilton play on the tele twice but have been impressed on mccarthys showings in each, especially for an 18 year old. He seemed to be a 'marked man' in them two games, so obviously the opposition see him as a player with quality too.

Was well impressed that he wanted to play for Ireland and seems a good bet for the future. However, the recent developments detailed on this thread have concerned me a bit. On his withdrawal from next weeks squad, it would have been easy for him to quash all the rumours with a one-liner telling us of his intention to continue wear the green of ireland.

Having said that, i think he was interviewed for the last ybig magizine and was quite adament he will contuinue to play for ireland once selected.