Page 12 of 258 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He came on in the first 2 games but has been injured since. I think Strachan wanted him to play a big part in pre-season and treat him as one of the 4 first team strikers this season. He really rates him.
    Hopefully,we could use a good target man
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing James McCarthy on tv against Dundee United tonight... Also, Roy O'Donovan will be playing for Dundee United...

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I though McCarthy was very impressive. Serious box to box midfielder, nice touch, intelligent, the Hamilton midfield dominated for long spells against a highly rated Dundee United midfield. For someone so young he was well able for the physical battle, although he looked a bit tenderised as he walked off to a big ovation when substituted in the 90th minute.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I though McCarthy was very impressive. Serious box to box midfielder, nice touch, intelligent, the Hamilton midfield dominated for long spells against a highly rated Dundee United midfield. For someone so young he was well able for the physical battle, although he looked a bit tenderised as he walked off to a big ovation when substituted in the 90th minute.
    Dundee are the most unphysical team in the league,it will be interesting to see how he gets on for the rest of the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Accies boss Billy Reid seemed happy enough with McCarthy's performance.

"James was absolutely sensational," gushed a smiling Reid afterwards

No-one more epitomised their swashbuckling performance than 17-year-old James McCarthy who was a constant menace. Indeed, that three of United's four bookings came courtesy of fouls on the midfielder tells its own story.

McCarthy, in tandem with fellow midfielder James McArthur, ran the show in the middle of the park and his searing runs and clever timing as he sucked United players into silly fouls suggested a maturity beyond his years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Do you think he'll make Trap's squad for the Norway game or is it too soon?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think it should be a top priority to get him playing in the senior team ASAP to tie him down to Ireland... He has been called up to the Under 21 squad... but I'm not convinced of Don Givens' man management skills... I think if you're good enough, then you're old enough... And he would definitely benefit from working with people like Brady and Trapattoni... So I really hope he gets called up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    If he impresses in the U-21 game, then maybe he should be called into the squad for the qualifiers, similar to how Scannell was called into the training squad for Portgual in May.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Theres no harm in calling him up for the friendly match even if he doesnt get a game. He's playing at a decent enough level and is obviously a talent for the future so some senior squad experience would be a great benefit. We shouldnt throw him in just because he's still eligible for Scotland though.
    Last edited by boovidge; 12/08/2008 at 1:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    personally i'd rather see promising young players making up 4 or 6 places within the squad instead of journeymen and has-beens. it is a way of blooding them early and getting them used to whats involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I basically ignored every other player on the pitch last night to watch McCarthy closely. I wrote this last night.

He got battered tbh. I'm not exaggerating when I say he was as closely watched as McGeady regularly is in the SPL. 2 players were booked for tackles on him and another player should definitely have been booked too for taking him out as he was running forward. Hamilton's first goal was from a freekick McCarthy won.

He didn't really see too much of the ball but the same goes for McArtur and Neil alongside him. He was the key to Hamilton's 3rd goal though. He had the ball and Utd had a player on his back pressurising him with another keeping an eye on him. Mensing was left in space because of that and McCarthy did really well to find him with a pass. That opened things up and the goal was scored after a couple more passes.

It was off the ball where he really impressed. He must have stopped about 10 Dundee Utd attacks through tackles, interceptions or just basic pressure. I can't remember him ever having to run at full pelt to track back and he was always in the right position at the right time. He knew exactly what shape the team needed to keep. If he was chasing a player back he'd stop at a certain point and signal for someone else to track him. He seems to have an excellent ability to read the game for someone so young.

Craig Levein watched 6 of Hamilton's pre-season games and clearly had McCarthy marked down as the man they need to watch.

That report says it was actually 3 bookings for fouls on him. I didn't know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I was really impressed with his performance, and I'm delighted he's playing with a side that want to keep the ball on the ground and play real football.

Hamilton's style sort of reminds me of Falkirk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I think we have a genuine superstar on our hands here. For someone so young to carry himself on the pitch with such authority is amazing. He wasnt outstanding last night but he does the simple things so well and his movement off the ball was excellent.Last night was the first time Ive seen him play like most people and the first thing that struck me was his physiqe,he didnt look like a skinny teenager playing amonst men(although his face looks about 12). It looks like he has everything in his game, he can pass, defend, get forward and look like a genuine goal threat.I would love to see him railroaded into the senior squad ASAP to pick up the experience of training with senior international players... on a day when we have seen 2 lads refuse to join up with the squad I think this lad is definately something to get excited about for the future

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think what I like most was how unspectacular he was... With young "superstar" players you tend to wonder where they are for most of the game and then they do something spectacular... and you think, if he did that all the time he'd be a world-beater...

but with McCarthy, he seemed to just be a consistent, solid pro. Several crunching tackles went in on him and he just got up and shrugged them off... he worked hard through the whole game... didnt' try to win the match single-handedly... it was just a very mature performance.

Everything he says in interviews seems just as mature. A cool head both on and off the pitch. Exactly what is needed. We might have a Fabregas on our hands.

I look forward to seeing more games to find out if he is consistently consistent!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ....and so the James McCarthy love-in continues!
    Lads, being honest i havent seen any of McCarthy yet. Is he as good as yee make him out to be, my only concern is that if he is that good why has Trapp not called him into the senior squad yet? Hes eighteen this year, surely he's not too young?
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well he's still only 17 right now... and has only played one game in the SPL. He looks to be the real deal, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think they're doing the right thing. A few games U17, a few U18, a few U19... now a few U21 then senior... don't put too much pressure on him

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Hamilton won again today, 1-0. So much for the thought that they'd be the Stoke City of the SPL this season. Our boy Jamie McCarthy was subbed off in second half injury time.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pity hes after pulling out of the u21 squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford Delboy View Post
    Pity hes after pulling out of the u21 squad
    Anyone know why?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Aw, that's terrible if he's pulled out of the U21 game.

There was a message from him on another forum:

"I'd just like to say a big thanks to all the Ireland fans who have been so supportive of me and the other lads coming through. It's great to have made the under-21s, I can't wait to play at that level for Ireland.

"I'm really looking forward to it. I'm very happy with the progress I've made so far for club and country. Hopefully Ireland fans will be seeing a lot more of me soon."