Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Very worrying. OR will some on here say his own manager is out of touch, nothing to worry about. Get over it. Dose of cop on. etc

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...n-2534815.html

Martinezparaphrasing) James said he needs to focus on his club career and forget about international for now.

That doesn't say he has changed his mind, for the little hope of the naysayers out there but its still a strange thing to come out and say given whats going on. What i dont understand, because it might be suggested, is why Martinez would have an agenda in this case.
    Don't like the sound of that but it definitely seems that Scotland have been onto him again. Don't see how you could blame Trap for that if he's been told that the player's thinking of switching.....

Martinez said: "I do not know if it is a decision for him to make now or not. We need to give him plenty of time. We need to respect him.

"He wants to help Wigan. For me that is fantastic. It (international football) is something he needs to think about with his family, with his friends.

"It is something very, very deep. But I do not think he has focused on that at all, although it is great to have two nations fighting over you.

"James is probably the most mature 20-year-old in football. It is a compliment to him. I don't think it is going to affect him. It is going to give him a more arrogant feeling if you want."

Martinez insists he kept the Republic of Ireland fully informed about McCarthy, who was withdrawn after he scored twice in the 4-3 victory against Blackburn.

He said: "It wasn't the right time for him to go. He could not have coped with the physical demands. That's it really.

"I spoke with the Republic of Ireland staff to make sure they knew the programme James was on.

"When James got injured late in October he was so disappointed he just wanted to get back fully fit as quick as a he could. He told me then he needed to forget his international career and that was the conversation we had.

"If you look at his performance on Saturday, James McCarthy is going to be one of the top footballers in Europe. What a player to have for your country or club."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCSixty/Eighty View Post
    No other player has received such vile and hatred thrown towards him for declaring for us,...
    I think Aiden McGeady would dispute that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    "he likes Ireland, he likes Scotland, he must decide". What lines are there to read between? (poor grasp of English, and hopefully the whole situation, notwithstanding)
    It might mean James is still undecided. My interpretation is that Trap expected James to turn up, was dissapointed he didn't turn up and wants him to turn up, in other words he has to decide to turn up - next time.
    Sometimes you have to hear the question to get the context of the answer.

Trap also went on to say 'James, where is your home'?
    But when you hear him speak it, he was so obviously parodying in an exaggerated manner, the extent and banality of the media hype.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I don't like those quotes from Martinez. What does he achieve by saying something like that? Surely he wants to deflect attention away from his 20 year old and not have Irish and jock reporters pestering the kid for the next few weeks?
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The standard is, unless the manager gives permission to stay with your club, the player should be prepared to turn up, regardless of fitness to play.
    Ray Houghton said as much last night and a young player should be chomping at the bit to turn up. Fahy was in and out and back in again, if he was aggrieved with this, he could manage to put it into some perspective, he turns up and makes his contribution.
    Selecting James to play for the next game is an obvious conclusion to the lingering questions around him.
    What fit committed player can refuse a call up to an important qualifier?
    Houghton made a good point about Bellamy and Bale being out through injury but turning up anyway for the game. Being part of a squad should not just be a bout getting on the pitch. Him turning up for half a day even would have avoided all this grief
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    "When James got injured late in October he was so disappointed he just wanted to get back fully fit as quick as a he could. He told me then he needed to forget his international career and that was the conversation we had.
    My interpretation of that quote is that he's referring to McCarthy's mindset in how he dealt with the disappointment of injury and missing the international game specifically last October.

To pararphrase - McCarthy is disappointed about the injury and missing the game but he won't dwell on it.

The context of key reference "forget his international career" means he won't dwell on the international game he has just missed but will focus on getting fit and back playing.

You could then assume that his return to fitness and the first team would lead to international appearances in the future.

You'll note, the glass is half full for me today.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I don't like those quotes from Martinez. What does he achieve by saying something like that? Surely he wants to deflect attention away from his 20 year old and not have Irish and jock reporters pestering the kid for the next few weeks?

Ya shaker i could understand if it were England and martinez was aware of him moving on in the future and trying to increase his stock value. But this doesn't make any sense for him to have an agenda and that's why I read more into it. There is no reason why martinez would come out and say something like this knowing it just keeps the issue running and is a source of distraction for James when his only consideration should be ensuring wigan avoid relegation.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 10/02/2011 at 1:10 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Houghton made a good point about Bellamy and Bale being out through injury but turning up anyway for the game. Being part of a squad should not just be a bout getting on the pitch. Him turning up for half a day even would have avoided all this grief
    True, but Bale and Bellamy are mainstays of the Welsh squad, and senior members (despite Bale's age). Also, it's all about galvanising support for Speed in his first game, one of the old "lads". Good for them, but it's not exactly damning of any of the Irish players not available not to have done the same.

Damien Duff has done the same in the past.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Ya shaker i could understand if it were England and martinez was aware of him moving on in the future and trying to increase his stock value. But this doesn't make any sense fir him to have an agenda and that's why i read more into it.there is no reason why martinez would cone out and saying something like this knowing it just keeps the issue running and a source if distraction for James when his only consideration should be ensuring wigan avoid relegation.
    either (a) there's something up, or (b) this is the first time Martinez has even given thought to the whole thing. We're still no nearer to knowing. Only a statement from McC, the SFA or McC turning up for Macedonia if fit will resolve it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    True, but Bale and Bellamy are mainstays of the Welsh squad, and senior members (despite Bale's age). Also, it's all about galvanising support for Speed in his first game, one of the old "lads". Good for them, but it's not exactly damning of any of the Irish players not available not to have done the same.

Damien Duff has done the same in the past.
    Good point and i agree, its not like James is well established squad member ala Duff, Keane, Given, JOSH etc.

On the martinez comments, i think if you added "for now" to the end of

"he needed to forget his international career", it would make much more sense and reads fine. Im fairly sure thats how it should be interpreted.

James, under pressure from the Scots, last time out came out and reiterated his desire to play for us and commitment to us. That was what 12 months ago. We have no reason to believe it should or has changed and the fact that Trap has said he will call him up to the next squad is good for me. Hes not for changing after 5 years in the Irish set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...thur-1.1084344

Here's his team mate McCarthur's view on the rumours. He's in the dark.....slight positive?
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Ya shaker i could understand if it were England and martinez was aware of him moving on in the future and trying to increase his stock value. But this doesn't make any sense fir him to have an agenda and that's why i read more into it.there is no reason why martinez would cone out and saying something like this knowing it just keeps the issue running and a source if distraction for James when his only consideration should be ensuring wigan avoid relegation.
    Isn't that his motivation though? If he said no comment, he would've had to field the question over and over. Instead Martinez is insisting James is focusing on club duty and IF there's a decision to be made, it'll be made in due course. He's essentially washing his hands of the situation in hope it doesn't come up again, leaving him and McCarthy to focus on Wigan's relegation.

Martinez clearly couldn't give a fig about who McCarthy plays for and has no inside knowledge on the situation. Rightly, he just wants his player to focus on Wigan.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    If he stuck around after playing for Don Givens then he'll hardly leave now!

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...thur-1.1084344

Here's his team mate McCarthur's view on the rumours. He's in the dark.....slight positive?
    So Mccarthur is able come out and say something yet he isn't.

“But you never know, things happen behind the scenes that you don’t know about. I have spoken to him about it many times but I can’t really comment on it, it is James’ decision. You would need so speak to him."

He could just come out and say "James is not for changing, he has pledged his future to ireland in the past and that remains the same" unless of course there is some truth to it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Isn't that his motivation though? If he said no comment, he would've had to field the question over and over. Instead Martinez is insisting James is focusing on club duty and IF there's a decision to be made, it'll be made in due course. He's essentially washing his hands of the situation in hope it doesn't come up again, leaving him and McCarthy to focus on Wigan's relegation.

Martinez clearly couldn't give a fig about who McCarthy plays for and has no inside knowledge on the situation. Rightly, he just wants his player to focus on Wigan.
    No he isn't he could say completely, James has not changed his mind, as far as I'm aware. He is leaving it completely open, and knowing hte fuss it has caused it will drag on for sometime. This is not washing his hands of it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    He could just come out and say "James is not for changing, he has pledged his future to ireland in the past and that remains the same" unless of course there is some truth to it.
    But why would he say that? He obviously would like McCarthy to play for Scotland, regardless of the truth. He's never going to say anything affirmative about Ireland. The fact he didn't say something like: "Well I've spoken to James and he seemed receptive to coming over..." or "James hasn't ruled it out" is far more indicative, and positive, for me.

No he isn't he could say completely, James has not changed his mind, as far as I'm aware. He is leaving it completely open, and knowing hte fuss it has caused it will drag on for sometime. This is not washing his hands of it.
    Again why would he say that? It's pretty clear Martinez doesn't have the first clue about McCarthy's international feelings, and would probably rather have it that way since Wigan have more important things to worry about. He merely pointed out club football is coming first and James will make up his mind if he needed to. As much as we'd all like Martinez to say something like you described, it doesn't mean he should or even that he could. Martinez very obviously doesn't owe us or Scotland any kind of explanation.

And in terms of washing hands, wouldn't indicating he had some kind of inside track on McCarthy's feelings ie "he hasn't changed his mind afaik" going to make the media ask him even more questions? For me it was a self-preserving, club-before-country answer and I can't blame him for giving it.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    So Mccarthur is able come out and say something yet he isn't.

“But you never know, things happen behind the scenes that you don’t know about. I have spoken to him about it many times but I can’t really comment on it, it is James’ decision. You would need so speak to him."
    Is that not his post-match SKY TV quote just regurgitated?

Even if it isn't, it's more understandable that a guy actively on international duty should be more available to comment than a guy in Wigan.

I'm not saying you're wrong in any of this Paul, just that there's nothing substantial that says that McC is changing. You can cite the absence of anything positive as proof, but I'm sure Aristotle would have had ideas on the logic of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Seems to me like Martinez wants to have McCarthy all to himself (at least until the end of this season considering they are in a relegation battle) and is delaying the inevitable for as long as possible by pulling him out of squads and the like. Of course the more this happens the more talk goes around that McCarthy is considering switching sides.

Actually all Martinez has done is heap more pressure on McCarthy as both Irish and Scottish journalists will now be hunting the boy for the next few months trying to get to the bottom of the story.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 10/02/2011 at 1:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    Actually all Martinez has done is heap more pressure on McCarthy as both Irish and Scottish journalists will now be hunting the boy for the next few months trying to get to the bottom of the story.
    I don't think there's an answer he could give that wouldn't have done that. Focusing an answer on club commitments was probably the best he could do for Wigan.

Besides all James has to do is issue a short, swift statement and it all goes away...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    Exactly and he doesn't come across as a thick, he appears quite astute, so why wouldn't he just leave it, or say nothing has changed as James has not changed on the issue. Instead of throwing highly flammable liquid on the fire.

There is no way a modern day manager with have a gumption does not know about his squad SvD

Stutts, i didnt say he is for changing, i just said all along there was more to this than was thought by some.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker