Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Is'nt Wenger allergic to most Irish/British players

How he did not buy Shay Given is a bit of a mystery for example !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    dont get me wrong i have no problem with him staying at Wigan, i just dont see how a move to Wenger's Arsenal (if Wigan were selling) would be a bad move!!
    I'm not saying it would be a bad move, potentially great, I'm saying that it could be a bad move. Right now its not broken so I would not be inclined to fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Training day in, day out, with topclass players, under a topclass coach. It could only benefit him. I hope he makes the move.

But i think the player would probably want to staty at Wigan himself. He wasnt in a hurry to leave Hamilton. I think he'll do the same at Wigan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    he had the chance of moving to Liverpool and Celtic while at Hamilton and chose to stay in favour of first team football. There's no doubt that Arsenal are a better team than Wigan, but would he get in the team at the moment? What about when Ramsey (please God) returns? My guess is he will stay at Wigan for at least another season (he'll still only be 20 at the end of the 2010/2011 season) and then move on to greener pastures.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    he had the chance of moving to Liverpool and Celtic while at Hamilton and chose to stay in favour of first team football. There's no doubt that Arsenal are a better team than Wigan, but would he get in the team at the moment? What about when Ramsey (please God) returns? My guess is he will stay at Wigan for at least another season (he'll still only be 20 at the end of the 2010/2011 season) and then move on to greener pastures.
    That's crazy to think about when you see how comfortable he looks playing every week already! He's got a nice touch, he makes things happen, he's got a good physique already....it's really really exciting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Has anyone else noticed how good his set pieces (corners) are? Ball gets into the right area for his attaackers every time. He's going to be a massive player. He's got it all.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I've been impressed with Gibson's set-piece delivery for United too. Lawrence and Duff do it regularly for their clubs too, but they don't seem to replicate it on the international stage, so hopefully we'll improve in that area in the future. Hunt's the only person who seems to hit his man more than 50% of the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He could have had a penalty on Saturday as well. I thought at first it was a blatent dive but the replays showed there was contact. He was looking for it I think but still could easily have been given. Seemed to be involved in most of Wigan's positive play again.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Went to the City v Wigan game last night. Kept a close watch on McCarthy and he did ok, lots of energy and although Wigan played a kind of 4-2-3-1 of which McCarthy was one of the 3, he seemed to do most of his good work tracking back and putting in a few decent tackles.

Wigan were generally muck (City werent much better) but did have a few good chances when the scoreline was still 0-0. Once Wigan were down to 10 men, City stepped it up.

As I said he did ok but certainly wasnt a key player in the game for either side. 6/10.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Hi Gents,

Was looking around for links on this McCarthy moving to Arse-nil story and I found this quiet by accident.

Its not that nice. - http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/in...-for-scotland/

I belive that anonther poster posted something like this a while back and was astonished by the reaction. I think this is worse
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Deckydee -- that stuff is from 2008. It wasn't pleasant, but it's over now in the main as most Scots have moved past the fact that he won't play for them now that he's been capped.

Let's move on.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Deckydee -- that stuff is from 2008. It wasn't pleasant, but it's over now in the main as most Scots have moved past the fact that he won't play for them now that he's been capped.

Let's move on.
    Indeed

Cant say I like reading those things though.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Ah if one of our best young prospects chose another country we would all be steamed too.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Not if he was Scottish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair we have a few lunatics around here too. I'm sure most Scots are disappointed but realise it's a done deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Technically its not yet charlie.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Realistically it is.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Went to Fulham v Wigan on Sunday. I wasn't impressed with McCarthy, whom I'd really been looking forward to seeing. Admittedly Wigan were poor, but he did nothing for me to justify the high hopes for him on this board. Tidy, fit , reasonable short passing game, but no more than championship standard, sub-Whelan. Let's wait a couple of years before we get too excited.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fu1ham View Post
    Went to Fulham v Wigan on Sunday. I wasn't impressed with McCarthy, whom I'd really been looking forward to seeing. Admittedly Wigan were poor, but he did nothing for me to justify the high hopes for him on this board. Tidy, fit , reasonable short passing game, but no more than championship standard, sub-Whelan. Let's wait a couple of years before we get too excited.
    Don't agree with that assertion. I saw the first half. Thought he was reasonable. He didn't give the ball away once. Sprayed the ball around well and had a nice pass releasing Rodallega. The bottom line is that Wigan are appalling. Bramble is still as accident prone as ever, Scharner can;t seem to keep things simple and constantly gives the ball away in dangerous areas, Diame gives the ball away too much in the middle of the park. Figeroa and N'Zogbia aside, McCarthy simply has nothing to work with. I've seen a good bit of McCarthy by this stage and have been really impressed with what I've seen but I don't think we'll see what he is fully capable until he is playing with a better team