Page 44 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: James McCarthy M free agent b.1990

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
    How many times have you seen McCarthy play? back your opinion up with your perceived flaws in his game then.
    Because making flippant statements that a talented 19 year old won't make it just makes you look silly otherwise.

Some posters on here are very funny, if our best youngsters are not breaking through like Fabregas did well then they must be doomed to failure.

Have a bit of patience.

Why isn't he a regular at a ****e club like Wigan? Yeah he scored a goal but you and others are going a bit over the top about him at this early stage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Is it any wonder Soccer has such a high level of burnouts & never-weres, when "fans" write off players before they are even 20. It's borderline disgraceful that youngsters feel that kind of pressure from all sides, it can't be that surprising you have your Stephen Ireland's losing the plot. I would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Stephen Ireland is a tosser - supporters expectations has nothing to do with his obvious gobsh1tedness...

McCarthy has at least 3 or 4 years (bearing in mind his position) before anyone should call him a failure. That is unless we see him drifting down the divisions (Sean Thornton style). An example might be someone like Darren Fletcher at ManUre, it took him years to establish himself. Whereas strikers and wingers can usually get established in their late teens/ early twenties. It is rare to have an established centre mid (or centre half or GK for that matter) in his late teens (Fabregas being an obvious exception).

i'm not going to trawl through this thread to find eirebhoy's post but i'm assuming he was saying something akin to players in that position (ie middle of midfield) not reaching their potential until their mid twenties - and to me that makes perfect sense.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Delighted to see McCarthy get on the score sheet this weekend. I can't think of any other 19 year olds playing regularly centre mid for a Premiership Club so I don't understand this great expectation of McCarthy walking straight in to Wigan's 1st 11.

However, as he has been given very little Premiership game time (1 sub appearance I think), the fact that Wigan are under performing this season could lead to Martinez getting the boot and the next manager giving him more opportunities. Just wishful thinking perhaps but a possibility nonetheless!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post

But i am not looking to fight.
    I look forward to when James hits 26 and i can count on him being a great success. It is unfortunate that it is (apparently) so understood we will have to wait but hey, rome wasnt built in a day.

And as for people's post revealing things, thanks for pointing that out Scooby Doo. I always look for people calling themselves Scooby Doo to really know how to use a smiley face good and proper. Yeah he he go shels he he!! In the words of another cartoon character, good grief.
    Bit of advice Crosby, stick to just being a cynical, pedantic attention seeker because your attempts at mocking other posters are nothing short of pathetic. To quote Stutts88, 'the mind boggles'.
    Your original post was ill thought-out, completely ridiculous and juvenile. Were you trying to be witty/clever or what??? Yes, it did reveal a bit about you. It demonstrated that you have little to contribute to this topic other than (totally unimaginative!) attempts at ridiculing other posters for the sake of it. Concentrate instead on your 'pretty decent job' that you felt the need to broadcast.

P.S: This time I'll forgo the smiley face that you took such offence from. Pity this forum doesn't facilitate little one-fingered gestures though.
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 06/01/2010 at 9:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Also delighted for McCarthy. He will likely become an important player for us and fulfill the potential we all hope that he has. For now, getting on the scoresheet of a senior-team cup game isn't a bad start!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    'He showed on Saturday that he is ready. We all know James is going to be a big star in world football,' said the Spaniard

and yet we have people on here saying he is a failure already
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm surprised Martinez rates him at all. Perhaps he has bought into the message board hype that only yapster seems to be immune to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Anyone writing James McCarthy off at 19 does not have a clue what they are talking about. Wigan bought him for the future, he will be a good player, how successful he is is entirely up to him and his attitude, he has so far shown maturity and professionalism beyond his years. He knew an extra year at Hamilton would do him good, Hamilton had a big say in where he went and could have accepted more money from bigger clubs but agreed to Wigan as one of the backroom staff there had worked with him at Hamilton and both the player and club felt that continuity was the best thing for him. All this, for me anyway, shows incredible maturity and preparedness to give it his all. Good stuff from a young hyped up footballer with the world at his feet.
    Help something bit me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    '

and yet we have people on here saying he is a failure already
    Anyone saying that is a Grade A Moron. Even by internet message board standards.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    What people are saying is that he is nowhere near the expectations certain posters have him hyped up to be. Of course Martinez will say that to give the kid confidence but it's over the top as no.1 it's way too early to tell and no.2 it puts too much pressure on the lads shoulders. Rooney & M.Owen were lauded as well but they were playing and playing well for top clubs like Liverpool & Everton, Roy Keane was lauded with Forest but he was doing the buisness with Forest week in week out. Lets see what McCarthy can do after a full season playing regularly in the Premiership before proper judgement 'me included' can be made.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    What people are saying is that he is nowhere near the expectations certain posters have him hyped up to be. Of course Martinez will say that to give the kid confidence but it's over the top as no.1 it's way too early to tell and no.2 it puts too much pressure on the lads shoulders. Rooney & M.Owen were lauded as well but they were playing and playing well for top clubs like Liverpool & Everton, Roy Keane was lauded with Forest but he was doing the buisness with Forest week in week out. Lets see what McCarthy can do after a full season playing regularly in the Premiership before proper judgement 'me included' can be made.
    Moyes rotated Rooney in and out of the team until he was so good that he absolutely had to use him. Same with Owen, to an extent.

McCarthy has been in England for 4 months. Give him a chance to develop.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm surprised Martinez rates him at all. Perhaps he has bought into the message board hype that only yapster seems to be immune to.
    not sure if you are sticking up for yapster there or being sarcastic
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I don't remember seeing any posts on here claiming that McCarthy would be an instant worldbeater....anyone else? In fact, I think the analysis of this kid has been reasonable and quite cautious throughout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Being ginger as well, its bound to make his development that little bit more difficult.
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Moyes rotated Rooney in and out of the team until he was so good that he absolutely had to use him. Same with Owen, to an extent.

McCarthy has been in England for 4 months. Give him a chance to develop.
    Agree, Another case in point might be Jack Rodwell who is hugely rated by Moyes and EFC fans and the England set-up. He is being very carefully groomed and has probably only played as many games as he has due to Everton's injury problems. I think Martinez's assesment of McCarthy is reasonable and encouraging. He is not under any obligation to talk him up or pick him unless he feels that he is actually making the right kind of progress.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Being ginger as well, its bound to make his development that little bit more difficult.
    Couple that with the McCarthy name, the likelihood that he has some rebel blood.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    not sure if you are sticking up for yapster there or being sarcastic
    i am sure .....pm me and I will tell ya
    Bring back the plank

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well done Martinez...so far

I have to agree that mnay of the postrs on here are ridiculus. I dont think we should even consider a verdict on him for at least the end of the season. He is just settling in now.
    I think Martinez has done very well to ease him in to it so far. As he says himself, McCarthy is raring to go but Martinez is being very patient. I think its great. McCarthy should be just getting encouragement at the moment. Its farcical to be questioning his talent right now. Some one mentioned on another thread that postings (i.e expectations) are getting silly and I agree, its boring to be honest to hear constant criticism and negativity. Fair play to those who can give a good opinion without.
    Finnally, comapre McCarthy to say Anderson at ManU, he is young, cost a lot more than McCarthy but hasnt hit it off yet, and it is only really now that criticism is starting to fall on him, and personally I think its a bit premature.
    Expectations of FANS are silly in a lot of cases!!!!!