Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 31 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: James McCarthy M free agent b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenGoal View Post
    And McCarthy will go the way of the miller at Celtic, just to keep on topic.
    Miller scored 3 goals in the Champions League against the Lithuanian, Belgian and French champions when he was with Celtic.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 14/05/2009 at 11:28 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I studied Predicate Logic
    A -> B = Not A OR B and all that
    boring as hell, mind.
    I did too, along with Languages and Computability. It is the most boring subject ever, you must think like a robot, I thought if I had autism or aspergers syndrome I might actually have been good at it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post

Apart from Henrik Larsson; who was the last player to leave Celtic and continue on a path of genuine success and improvement...??? I cannot think of 1.
    Paulo Di Canio, Mark Viduka, Pierre Van Hoojdiunk??

Agree with your point though, Strachan should not be allowed within 10 miles of McCarthy. McCarthy needs to go to Everton, Moyes will make him great.
    Help something bit me!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Syllogistic reasoning, modens ponens, modus tollens, I remember these things but have no idea what they mean. And McCarthy will go the way of the miller at Celtic, just to keep on topic.
    What, get injured for the rest of his teens, have one superb season and then get a bosman and rot in the reserves of a top 4 EPL club??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Fair points but the players of that age that Moyes has bought haven't really got much game time (Gosling for example). I think it'd be difficult for McCarthy to go back to reserve team football having been a first team regular since he was 16.

It's a different situation with MCCarthy given his age and with McGeady given the extra experience he has. I think McGeady should (and will) move on in the summer but don't think that need is as urgent with McCarthy yet.
    Good point on the reserves there. Playing is the way to keep developing and if he got that at celtic then great, but I dont think they'd play him all the time either. So bit of a throw up I reckon.

Spot about McGeady. It's time for him to kick on now - it would be great to see him in the Premier League too playing for a decent team.
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Syllogistic reasoning, modens ponens, modus tollens, I remember these things but have no idea what they mean. And McCarthy will go the way of the miller at Celtic, just to keep on topic.
    Liam Miller had his best days at Celtic, although short, which earned him a move to Man Utd. I can't see your point.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If he goes to Celtic he's playing against the same player he played against when he was at Hamilton. You can swao the 4 games againt celtic for maybe 4 games in Champins League. Not a huge improvement for him, although he'd obviously be trining with better players, and you'd hope training was better too.

If he's too good for Celtic he'll move on anyway, if he isn't he can still make a nice little career for himself.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I wouldn't be against a move to Celtic at all. It's still a step up. He may be playing against the same players. But he's playing in front of big passionate crowds with better players, whilst being drip fed European Football. If he stays injury free it's a safer bet for a steadier learning curve than a move down south were the learning curve could potentially be accelerated, but the odds are dramatically reduced, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't underestimate the positives of staying close to home/family/friends for a couple of years either. The like of Fabregars truly are an exception

A three of four year contract to keep him there til his early 20's would be ideal, provided he he doesn't keep signing extensions and maintaining an inflated transfer value,
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    lads if he is that good like ye were all professing then it doesnt matter where he goes to or when, he should be capable.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the positives of staying close to home/family/friends for a couple of years either. The like of Fabregars truly are an exception

A three of four year contract to keep him there til his early 20's would be ideal, provided he he doesn't keep signing extensions and maintaining an inflated transfer value,
    I'm convinced. I was certainly one of the 'get the hell out of the SPL' crowd, but the family thing is something I hadn't considered and its a big point. This lad seems mature as anything, seems to be fairly grounded and (based on what people say here, I've only ever seen highlights) he's gradually improved for several years in their company. Let that continue, instead of sending him to the teenage prima donna capital of the world where there would be much more temptation and less of a positive influence from his family. He can move to England (or maybe elsewhere, if he's incredibly lucky) when he's 20/21.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    924 Posts
    As a Celtic fan I would be delighted to see him sign for Celtic. Whatever people think about the league Celtic are a massive club and the fans have expectations to win the league every season so that is a huge difference in pressure to what he faces at Hamilton.If he proves hes capable of that then he can move onto another big club in england or wherever afterwards.
    I would prefer to see him go down that route than that of Aaron Ramsey, sitting in Arsenals reserves.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    true that, remember what happened to Reyes?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I agree with Dr_Peepee but don't think the Reyes comparison is accurate. McCarthy seems a smart level headed young kid, Reyes was from a desperately poor background and had none of the savvy or the support infrastructure that McCarthy would have.

I don't think the Ramsey route would be too bad for McCarthy. It's rare that these guys hang around beyond their sell by date and tend to end up at the appropraite level of football in due course. I don't think it'd be his best option though.

I think it's time he got used to being on a winning team, be it Celtic or a top Championship team. I'm not sure joining a struggling EPL team would do him much good - they never have the patience to develop players, though if the likes of Moyes or O'Neill were interested it'd be great, Moyes especially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    If he goes to Celtic he's playing against the same player he played against when he was at Hamilton. You can swao the 4 games againt celtic for maybe 4 games in Champins League. Not a huge improvement for him, although he'd obviously be trining with better players, and you'd hope training was better too.
    I actually think standard of teammate is more important than standard of opposition. I think Celtic's best players at league level are usually their best players at Champions league level.

You don't need to have great ability to close players down, mark players, pressurise them.

I think people look too much into standard of opposition. If a player joined Barcelona and start dictating their play in a team alongside Messi, Xavi and Iniesta he's a fantastic player no matter what the standard.

The most important thing for McCarthy is to join a team with really good players. Start thinking the way they think and see if you can play on their wavelength. I think Celtic have the midfield players to improve McCarthy's game.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Scottish football is crap, I'd much rather see him playing in the Championship or even League 1 next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I actually think standard of teammate is more important than standard of opposition. I think Celtic's best players at league level are usually their best players at Champions league level.

You don't need to have great ability to close players down, mark players, pressurise them.

I think people look too much into standard of opposition. If a player joined Barcelona and start dictating their play in a team alongside Messi, Xavi and Iniesta he's a fantastic player no matter what the standard.

The most important thing for McCarthy is to join a team with really good players. Start thinking the way they think and see if you can play on their wavelength. I think Celtic have the midfield players to improve McCarthy's game.

Part of your post is true but time and space have a huge amout to do with it. If you are given time and space you will look better. Also better players close down better as in their angles are better they cut out potential passes better etc.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Scottish football is crap, I'd much rather see him playing in the Championship or even League 1 next season.
    So you'd rather see him play with Yeovil (for example) in League 1 than Celtic in the SPL and in Europe?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    So you'd rather see him play with Yeovil (for example) in League 1 than Celtic in the SPL and in Europe?
    There is not much difference in population of the two towns.

48k for Hamilton and 42K for Yeoville.

Also the average home attendance is pretty similar, so I think Colbert has a point. I guess the plus of the SPL is that they get to play a few 'big clubs'
    ( I could say thrashed by here but I won't ) but apart from that the standard must be pretty similar. So I don't think there is too much difference all in all. Leeds and Leicester play in League 1, as did Forest, and indeed Man City not that long ago. I suppose the main thing is that he is happy where he is playing.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Yes, I would much rather him to play with Yeovil than Celtic. He won't get a game at Celtic, what is the point of him being on the bench all year there? He'd be better off going to Barcelona or Manchester United, both of whom are supposedly keeping tabs on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Part of your post is true but time and space have a huge amout to do with it. If you are given time and space you will look better. Also better players close down better as in their angles are better they cut out potential passes better etc.
    And you don't get much time and space on the ball playing for Celtic. I'd Serie A is easier in that sense.

and don't bite to Colbert Report. Nobody in their right mind would want a highly rated Irish player playing in league 1. Colbert Report likes to be a bit controversial.

Anyway, standard of teammate is a lot more important than standard of opposition imo.