67 Posts
    The Record is a complete rag. Worst paper ever. FACT

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    nice to see our "friendly" neighbours the scots still regard us so highly! Country Bumpkins are we ya cos Scotland is such a thriving "COOL" country!
    Its funny so many people here think us and the Scots are great buddies! I lived in Scotland for 4 years and there is massive anti irish feeling over there, and no i am not confusing anti celtic with anti irish, it is anti irish.

"Well the famine is over
    Why don't they go home?"
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    The Record is a complete rag. Worst paper ever. FACT
    Nah, 3rd worst after The Sun and The Mail but there is healthy competition.

A rag of the highest order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Incidentally, this is the Daily Record article referred to by the Independent: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/comment...6908-20755330/
    Sweet suffering Jesus! Could that article be anymore anti-Irish? You'd swear Scotland were number 1 in FIFA's world rankings the way he was going on.
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjl View Post
    Sweet suffering Jesus! Could that article be anymore anti-Irish? You'd swear Scotland were number 1 in FIFA's world rankings the way he was going on.

Believe me, most Scotland fans think they are. Beating a **** France team has polished their ego's immensly. They don't discuss losing to **** teams, just beating France

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I hope Norway go over there and slaughter em now. Gutter journalism.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I love the fact it drives them crazy. "McGeady to Hamilton and Hamilton scores. Ireland through to the final of the world cup. And now just in front of me a Daily sweaty sock reporter is choking on his porridge!"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Is this turning into a rant against the Tartan Army?
    Don't mix them with the likes of the Record.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't think it is to be honest. It's a bit of an odd situation with the Scots now, a lot of Rangers fans follow England these days and we all know where teh Celtic fans alleigences lie. I always wanted the Scots to do well when I was a kid in the World Cups but they always fell on their arses, can remember 78 when they thought they were gonna win it. I was only a wee lad at the time but clearly remember their draw against Peru, Willie Johnson failing his drugs test and Ally McLeod going from hero to zero in front of my eyes! Not to mention Archie Gemmells goal!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    No. Definetely the Record and those that take it seriously. The TA have had some great self depreciating songs down through the years (results will do that!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Article on bleacher report about McCarthy, probably the most even handed one I've read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...s-mccarthy-war
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There was an article in yesterday's Scottish Sun about McCarthy headlined "Stupid Boy". A couple of extracts from a poster on another forum:

He starts by saying that at Hampden this afternoon he would normally be 100% focused on "our beloved Scotland Football team" but instead "ten per cent of my head will be elsewhere, preoccupied with the disbelief, hurt and anger that's been caused by one daft wee lad".

Ross criticises the SFA, Billy Reid, Archie Knox, Billy Stark and Alex Ferguson for not doing more to turn him towards the Scottish team. "Instead", he goes on, "his only advice came from fellow turncoat Aiden McGeady, who, through no desire to have the heat taken off him, I'm sure - encouraged the move. Hell mend them both, because the fact is playing careers are very short. Once that is over, and assuming he doesn't go to live in Ireland (these football converts never do) he will be a stranger in his own land. His world has just shrunk. And not just in terms of the millions of Scotland fans who will no longer smile in his direction. Commercially he's a bad lot".

Ross ends by saying that McCarthy is lucky he's not English as they would have "run him out of town".

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    There was an article in yesterday's Scottish Sun about McCarthy headlined "Stupid Boy". A couple of extracts from a poster on another forum:
    Glad to see they're not bitter about it anyway!!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Why have the Scots started to get bitter over this now? McCarthy made his decision ages ago and it was clear he wasnt going to change his mind. I can understand the Scots being dissapointed but they really are embarassing themselves again with their pathetic tabloid style rantings.

Also if he was English no-one would have batted an eyelid because he would just be another promising player to them plus there are no religious/sectarian tensions there. I dont see JJ O'Toole getting called a "country bumpkin" by the Sun.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Yeah & I don't see Houghton or Coyle losing much sleep either.

Then again things could be worse for Scotland, they could have some players refusing to turn up. And I don't mean even to play for a better team.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    That 'country bumpkin' article is even further from the mark than a Chris Iwelumo shot.

**** 'em, he wants to play for us and no amount of media harraunging is going to change that.

I dread to think of the outcry all across Europe when Selcuk Tidim starts knocking in the goals for our seniors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Article in question:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wow, that article is amazing. The absolute filth that has been thrown at McCarthy. He should play for Scotland because Scottish taxes pay for his healthcare. What a joke. He didn't seem to choose Ireland for a better life, he obviously did it because that's what his heart wanted. His decision should be respected.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Its an absolutely disgraceful article but I wonder would we react much different if it was an Irish player declaring for someone else... The reaction to Steven Ireland(myself included) suggests we would react in a similar way
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Its an absolutely disgraceful article but I wonder would we react much different if it was an Irish player declaring for someone else... The reaction to Steven Ireland(myself included) suggests we would react in a similar way
    Barry Maguire:
    "It's an honour to play for your country, whether it's your father's country or your mother's country.

Right now I'm only playing for Holland because they have asked me so if Ireland asked me to play for them then maybe I could play for them.

"I would have to make a choice but it would be real honour to play for Ireland."

His father explaining that he played for Ireland U15s:
    "I think there were 15 players from Ireland, who were living in Ireland and who they could watch every week, but they gave him 15 minutes and said 'you'll hear from us', but we never heard anything else from them until he was called up for Holland.

Somebody rang him up from the FAI to ask him if he was interested in playing for Ireland and he said he was, but then he never heard anything from them again.

Then we saw a piece in the paper one day saying 'Irish coach disappointed in Maguire choosing for Holland' and I thought, Barry was talking to them and told them he'd play if they called him up, but they never did.

I was under the opinion that once the FAI had discovered Barry, and they knew about him they'd keep an eye on him, but I just don't think they work like that.

It's his choice and it will be interesting to see in a couple of years if they both call him up.

"But at the moment his mind is being made up for him because he hasn't heard anything from Ireland in so long."

This case is different because he's Dutch born but never in a million years would I feel an anger towards him.