Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 5154

Thread: James McCarthy M free agent b.1990

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post

Front page of Tomorrow's Daily Record in Scotland.
    Is this for real?

It certainly looks real but something like that could be forged but does look like a real newspaper, hard to forge,
    Can anyone nip out and buy a copy and post picture and full story.

Well I guess we should know for sure pretty soon, the on-line version should switch to the 11th pretty spoon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Perhaps we can close this thread then - lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I'm watching Sky News to see if there is anything on it about McCarthy, but they seem to obsessed with Murbarak for some reason, which is weird because he is not even eligible to play for us as far as I am aware, plus at 82 he is way to old.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Of course its for real, do you think anybody here would joke over a matter like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    This is disturbing though:-

Last edited by tricky_colour; 10/02/2011 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    http://sport.scotsman.com/scotlandsf...ion.6715958.jp

Gary Caldwell having his say.

Hope its not a bad omen that JMC chose Wigan, with it a load of Scotland internationals, over Wolves with its high number of Irish lads!

Encouraged by the reported comments from his agent but will wait to see proper quotes before jumping to conclusions.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Poor english grammar in that one TC, definitely not as real as the Record.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Hope its not a bad omen that JMC chose Wigan, with it a load of Scotland internationals, over Wolves with its high number of Irish lads!
    Think Steven Caldwell was the only Scottish player there when he transferred?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Lads, he's actually chosen Northern Ireland.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    George Gray (cited in that article) is James' agent isn't he? Strong words from him.

"He is 100 per cent committed to playing for the Republic of Ireland and doesn't know where this has come from."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Levein is on the BBC as saying all options to be pursued or some such phrase, the piece is in relation to Gary Hooper and James McCarthy.

Here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9391709.stm

I get the feeling more and more there is something in this and that Trap is the wrong wrong wrong man to have dealing with it, we will need McCarthy a lot longer than we need Trap.
    Whatever about the McCarthy issue, its this sort of attitude that is ruining International Football for me. Its not about having the best players. Its about having the best players that want to represent their country.

"I want to develop a club mentality, work with the players to produce better results and keep improving.

"Where those players come from is of no great interest to me, the level that they are playing at is of far more interest to me.

"Lads who play at the top level are players that I want to play for Scotland."
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    That article on whatever the **** sports.scotsman is was garbage reporting. Picks and chooses Traps quotes and is entirely based on nothing. That chick who wrote is should ashamed of herself. Unfortunate that so many bozos get to write about this and stoke the fire.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    At the end of the day it does not matter what is said in the newspapers, or what McCarthy or his agent says,
    what really matters is meeting the technical definition of playing for Ireland.
    I am not even sure what that is, but I think I have found it.

Accordingly, any player who is qualified to play for more than one national association (i.e. who has dual nationality) will be deemed to have committed himself to one association only when he plays his first international match in an official competition (at any level) for that association.

Thus we will have to wait until he pulls on a green jersey and crosses the touchline, I don't think he has to actually kick a ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Is this for real?

It certainly looks real but something like that could be forged but does look like a real newspaper, hard to forge,
    Can anyone nip out and buy a copy and post picture and full story.

Well I guess we should know for sure pretty soon, the on-line version should switch to the 11th pretty spoon.
    I don't see any reason it wouldn't be real. He's stated plenty of times he wants to play for Ireland.

Considering the abuse he took at Hamilton, it would have been bad enough then to play for Scotland, imagine what it would be like now that he's lined out at senior level for Ireland?
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Its photoshopped guys.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    I think it's best to post the article above, in full.

JAMES McCARTHY last night killed speculation he was ready to snub Ireland and play for Scotland.

The Wigan Athletic ace - who pulled out of the Republic squad to face Wales earlier this week - was laying low as talk of a stunning U-turn intensified yesterday. But adviser and family friend George Gray spoke to SunSport on his behalf and insisted: "He is 100 per cent committed to playing for the Republic of Ireland and doesn't know where this has come from. He didn't travel for the Carling Nations Cup because of a persistent ankle injury. It's as simple as that."

Republic boss Giovanni Trapattoni has publicly stated he fears McCarthy is ready to walk away from his side and pledge his future to Scotland. Wigan boss Roberto Martinez added fuel to the fire yesterday, claiming McCarthy faced "a very, deep decision" about whether to switch allegiance. SunSport understands there HAVE been tentative talks from the Scotland camp about trying to persuade one of the hottest young stars in the Premiership to switch sides. Despite playing a friendly for Ireland against Brazil last year, former Hamilton starlet McCarthy is still eligible for Craig Levein's side.

But the Glasgow-born star - who qualifies for the Republic through his grandfather - refuses to even consider the prospect of abandoning his adopted nation. Gray added: "There has been no discussion between James or anyone from Scotland. Until this week it wasn't even an issue. I have spoken to James and his family at great length this morning. All he wants to do is concentrate on his football. He plays for the Republic of Ireland and has done since he was 17. He's looking forward to an illustrious career with them and wants this put to bed once and for all. The FAI have been incredibly supportive towards James for a long time, so there is no way he will be jumping ship. He's staying where he is."

McCarthy's withdrawal from the Republic squad on Monday sparked fears among the Irish he was set to quit. His Wigan team-mates Steven Caldwell and James McArthur admitted he'd be a great addition to the Scotland set-up. And Latics boss Martinez said: "International football is something he needs to think about with his family. It is something very, very deep."
    Last edited by The Fly; 11/02/2011 at 1:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    Just reached my thousandth post...........is there a prize?
    Last edited by The Fly; 11/02/2011 at 2:17 AM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Just reached my thousandth post...........is there a prize?
    A cap in midfield for Ireland. Only in a friendly though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    The Grass is Still Greener for McCarthy

Herald Scotland

JAMES McCarthy has no intention of playing for Scotland and remains totally committed to representing the Republic of Ireland.

MICHAEL GRANT chief football writer
    11 Feb 2011

The Wigan Athletic midfielder has been at the centre of intense will he/won’t he speculation since it was revealed that he had withdrawn from the Irish squad for their Carling Nations Cup tie with Wales this week. That instantly provoked rumours that the 20-year-old, who has yet to officially commit to the Irish by playing a competitive game for them, was having second thoughts and wanted to turn out for Scotland. McCarthy was born in Glasgow and his appeal to Scotland is obvious.

The manager Craig Levein and the Scottish Football Association have declined to comment on the situation. Discreet inquiries were made, though, and inevitably Scotland would be receptive to any change of mind by McCarthy. But there will not be one.

His allegiance to the Republic of Ireland was made when he was only 15 as a mark of respect for his Irish grandfather, although McCarthy has always stated he would have committed himself to Scotland first if he had been chosen by the SFA at youth level. Various attempts to woo him by the Scots have ended in failure and this week’s speculation has been a red herring. It arose because of misinterpretation of comments made by the Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni, subsequently compounded by those of the Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez.

McCarthy’s only Irish cap came in a friendly against Brazil last year and he is not formally committed to them until he has appeared in a competitive game. Trapattoni, who intends to pick him for his squad to face Macedonia in a Euro 2012 qualifier next month, had said: “He is 20 years old, he can decide freely, ‘I like Scotland, I like Ireland’. He has the possibility. He knows our position, he knows we like him. He can decide. It’s his heart that decides.”

Martinez did little to end the speculation yesterday when he also claimed that McCarthy still had a decision to make. “It [international football] is something he needs to think about with his family, with his friends. It is something very, very deep.” Martinez insisted he kept the Republic of Ireland fully informed about McCarthy, who was withdrawn after he scored twice in the 4-3 win over Blackburn Rovers. He had been out with an ankle injury for 14 weeks and returned to action a fortnight ago. An agreement was reached between the Wigan medical staff and the Football Association of Ireland’s that it was too soon for him to appear in an international game, and so he withdrew.

Martinez said: “It wasn’t the right time for him to go. He could not have coped with the physical demands. That’s it really. I spoke with the Republic of Ireland staff to make sure they knew the programme James was on. When James got injured late in October he was so disappointed he just wanted to get back fully fit as quickly as a he could. He told me then he needed to forget his international career. If you look at his performance on Saturday, James McCarthy is going to be one of the top footballers in Europe. What a player to have for your country or club.”

McCarthy rose to prominence with Hamilton Academical. He spent almost three years in their first team as a teenager before signing for Wigan in a £1.2m deal in the summer of 2009. Since then he has continued to shine and has emerged as one of the most promising young players in England’s Premier League. His team-mate for club – but not country – Steven Caldwell admitted he would love to play alongside him in dark blue. “He’d be a tremendous addition for Scotland. We want good players and if he wants to play for us then I’m sure there will be a place for him. I want him to make the right choice for him and his family and I’m sure he will.”

Sadly for Caldwell, and Levein, the matter is redundant. Despite rumours to contrary, the Wigan Athletic midfielder will not switch allegiance to Scotland.
    Last edited by The Fly; 11/02/2011 at 4:28 AM.