Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 224 of 258 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Wasn't it Martinez system that allowed him to flourish in the first place though? Did McCarthy's role in the side change at some stage?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Wasn't it Martinez system that allowed him to flourish in the first place though? Did McCarthy's role in the side change at some stage?
    According to the writer, McCarthy did flourish early on under Martinez, but it was the "system" that did him in, chopped his wings so to say. I assume he regards the Martinez "system" as a thing of evil which kicked in after some period of time under Martinez.
    I have only watched Everton on rare occasions in the past 2 seasons, I have no opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Any word on what McGeady is at? Doesn't look like Koeman fancies him.
    Gibson seemed to be doing well in pre-season. Hopefully both their agents are working overtime

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    No place for McGeady at Everton (didn't even get a squad number). I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Celtic on loan or something maybe. Can't see many Championship level teams taking a punt on him given how he flopped at Wednesday. I think he's good enough for the Championship but it's a bad spot he finds himself in.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    No place for McGeady at Everton (didn't even get a squad number). I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Celtic on loan or something maybe. Can't see many Championship level teams taking a punt on him given how he flopped at Wednesday. I think he's good enough for the Championship but it's a bad spot he finds himself in.
    Why would you say that he's good enough? The SWFC manager really fancied him, having seen him in the CL, and gave him every chance and he just wasn't up to it. Unfortunately, he's on a downward spiral and a loan move to Celtic might help but at 30 years of age, I don't see him ever recovering his old form. Hopefully I am wrong but obviously he has to get out of Everton.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Total hindsight here as I thought it was a great move for him at the time, but Wednesday were going very well when he came in. He needed to hit the ground running to cement his place, seeing as the other players were doing so well. Carvalhal didn't have the luxury of allowing McGeady to find his feet and work his way into a bit of form at the business end of the season, although he did try to be fair. Okay, even allowing for that, it still turned out to be a disaster the way it ended up but that doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't do well at another Championship club. That's still a career on a pretty severe downward spiral but it's surely the very least he's capable of if his application is right, on and off the pitch. I'd love to see him go back to Celtic though where he'd be appreciated from the start instead of probably ridiculed.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 16/08/2016 at 10:36 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I assume he regards the Martinez "system" as a thing of evil which kicked in after some period of time under Martinez.
    Yeah, when results went pear shaped no doubt. I never noticed any significant change in McCarthy's role within the team anyway.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Yeah, when results went pear shaped no doubt. I never noticed any significant change in McCarthy's role within the team anyway.
    I'd say there's some correlation between McCarthy's role/effect within the team and the Martinez system.
    In a nutshell, McCarthy had a very good first year, Everton were good defensively and offensively. As the Martinez system kicked in, the defensive inheritance from the Moyes era deteriorated rapidly and midfield was porous. James's form suffered and he picked up injuries.

Imo James was demonstrably poor and unfit at the Euros, poor against Belgium and flagged something awful in the 2nd half v France. I'd say he has much ground to make up if he's to nail his starting place with Everton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Total hindsight here as I thought it was a great move for him at the time, but Wednesday were going very well when he came in. He needed to hit the ground running to cement his place, seeing as the other players were doing so well. Carvalhal didn't have the luxury of allowing McGeady to find his feet and work his way into a bit of form at the business end of the season, although he did try to be fair. Okay, even allowing for that, it still turned out to be a disaster the way it ended up but that doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't do well at another Championship club. That's still a career on a pretty severe downward spiral but it's surely the very least he's capable of if his application is right, on and off the pitch. I'd love to see him go back to Celtic though where he'd be appreciated from the start instead of probably ridiculed.
    I felt he did well at Wednedsay when I saw him play but it didn't seem to fit the system maybe.
    There's no reason he can't play championship. I thought he did well in his couple of cameos at the euros too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I'd say there's some correlation between McCarthy's role/effect within the team and the Martinez system.
    In a nutshell, McCarthy had a very good first year, Everton were good defensively and offensively. As the Martinez system kicked in, the defensive inheritance from the Moyes era deteriorated rapidly and midfield was porous. James's form suffered and he picked up injuries.

Imo James was demonstrably poor and unfit at the Euros, poor against Belgium and flagged something awful in the 2nd half v France. I'd say he has much ground to make up if he's to nail his starting place with Everton.
    I think that now, not only is Martinez slated for his last two seasons, but any praise he received for his first has also be withdrawn. Extra credit is now going towards Moyes, despite Martinez being hailed as a messiah at the time, a breath of fresh air after the turgid football under his predecessor.

McCarthy's good form/development has to be attributed to Martinez in my opinion, he was never even managed by Moyes, not that you're saying he was. If anything, when Martinez took over, the shackles of the Moyes era were initially shifted. They progressed rapidly from being pretty solid to an expansive side, whilst retaining their solidity. Obviously that didn't last though.

I think an awful lot of the Everton support (including that writer) will use anything to have a cut off Martinez now. For all his shortcomings I think he's been nothing but a positive influence for McCarthy's career. In short... shackles my arse!

I agree that McCarthy has it all to do the cement his place in the Everton midfield. Maybe he should stick with it though if it doesn't happen straight away, just look at Shane Long and the season and a half it took for him to convince Koeman that he's worth his place. Obviously if they do sign some genuinely top class midfielders he'll have to reevaluate, but I don't see any reason he can't be an important player as things stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Why would you say that he's good enough? The SWFC manager really fancied him, having seen him in the CL, and gave him every chance and he just wasn't up to it. Unfortunately, he's on a downward spiral and a loan move to Celtic might help but at 30 years of age, I don't see him ever recovering his old form. Hopefully I am wrong but obviously he has to get out of Everton.
    I am not apportioning any blame for his performances on SWFC or the manager so I am sorry if it comes across that way. His failures are completely on him. I only meant that I think he has the skill and talent to play at a Championship level and, for whatever reasons, it didn't work out for him at SWFC last season. Despite me believing that he did not deserve to be on the plane to France, his sub appearances at the Euros told me that he still has something to contribute at a decent level.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Is Gibson injured or just generally unfit? Pretty bad if it's the latter.
    After coming on for the last bit of Rooney's testimonial, Koeman reported the next day that he wouldn't be fit for the Espanyol friendly. It didn't sound like an actual injury, so some kind of general unfitness or individual fitness management perhaps. Not exactly promising but we'll see. He was back training last week before the first PL game.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Lack of fitness?
    Probably just more lingering effects from the Martinez era.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You try training with these on...

19. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    You try training with these on...

Is that a shot from your bedroom, DeLorean?
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 18/08/2016 at 9:04 AM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Gibson, McGeady and now McCarthy the latest Irishman to be put on blast by Koeman. Taken off in first half against West Brom. Everton duly equalize.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Being taken off in the first half is a bad sign, it is normally more indicative of injury?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    According to his stats he made 32 passes with a 93% success rates, no tackle or anything else though.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    BBC5 said at the time is was tactical I'm pretty sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It is rare to get subbed before half time not matter now bad you are, so with that and his stats I would suggest it was tactical?
    Indeed they were a goal down and brought on an attacking player for a defensive one so it does suggest a tactical substitution.
    I saw when he was subbed and it didn't look as if was due to bad play on his part.