I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    Cap him I say. Simple as
    if he merits it he should be capped but not just to tie him to us. i'm not questionning his allegiance to us but he should be capped when its right based on his ability and form and nothing else

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    2 goals in 2 starts aint a bad eh.. start

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if he merits it he should be capped but not just to tie him to us. i'm not questionning his allegiance to us but he should be capped when its right based on his ability and form and nothing else
    I'd cap him on form now

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    A cap in a friendly won't tie him,
    has to be a cap in a competitive game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    I'd cap him on form now
    form is temporary, class is forever
    lets see how he goes for the next 3 or 4 months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    A cap in a friendly won't tie him,
    has to be a cap in a competitive game.
    After scoring the winner for Ireland against Brazil he's hardly going to want to play for the Jocks now is he?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    2 goals in 2 starts warrants a cap for me....stick him on for half an hour against brazil and see how he gets on.

On a sidenote, he was practically being written off on this forum no more than a week ago, then he bangs in 2 goals for Wigan. Wonder if there's a link between the two
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    2 goals in 2 starts warrants a cap for me....stick him on for half an hour against brazil and see how he gets on.

On a sidenote, he was practically being written off on this forum no more than a week ago, then he bangs in 2 goals for Wigan. Wonder if there's a link between the two
    that was only by a few WUMS...the majority on here said give him time to mature and settle in the Wgan team and premier league.....I have watched him a few times and he has impressed me.....he is very young though so plenty of time...cap him and it will take media pressure from scotland of him
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    that was only by a few WUMS...the majority on here said give him time to mature and settle in the Wgan team and premier league.....I have watched him a few times and he has impressed me.....he is very young though so plenty of time...cap him and it will take media pressure from scotland of him
    agreed
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Come on lads, let's get real, he won't be a top player until he scores either a hat-trick and/or wonder goal.

Sure everyone knows that, looks at your man..... Ronney for United, he wouldn't have ever made it to United unless he scored this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZmixtMByY

....and he wouldn't have made it there unless he did this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtwiGBn1BQw

There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Rooney isn't a fair comparison...everyone knows when he finishes playing he will be released back into the wild.
    Bring back the plank

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Got another 90 minutes today for Wigan -vs- Notts County in the FA Cup, hit the post with a scuffed shot apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    game coming up on Setanta here after the Utd Hull game. Looking forward to seeing how he played...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    JAMES McCARTHY could be set to sensationally switch his allegiance from the Republic of Ireland to Scotland.

Sport of the World can reveal the 19-year-old Wigan wonderkid has told close friends and family he would talk to Craig Levein if the new Scotland boss approached him about performing a dramatic U-turn.

Levein is sure to be interested in finding out how serious the £1.2million midfielder is about pledging his international future to his homeland, with a crucial Euro Championship qualifying campaign on the horizon next season.

A source close to the ex-Hamilton star said: "James has been alerted to the possibility of Scotland being interested in him again, and it's certainly fair to say he is interested in Scotland.

"Although he has played for the Republic of Ireland at Under-21 level, he hasn't yet played a full, competitive international for them, so under FIFA rules he is free to play for Scotland.

"He has had no direct contact with Craig Levein yet but he would certainly not rule out the possibility of playing for his natural country if he believed Scotland wanted him.

"I know Gary Caldwell has been nipping his ear about this since he arrived at Wigan and realised how good James is after training alongside him.

"He thinks he is an outstanding talent and has told James he won't rest until he has agreed to pull on a dark blue shirt.

"To be fair to James it was never a case of James turning his back on Scotland - Scotland just didn't want him when he was younger."

Levein could be set to change all that. He is eager to spread his net as far and wide as possible to ensure he has the strongest possible pool of talent available for Scotland. He is currently putting

together a database which will cover every under-age and senior pro who qualifies for Scotland and he is currently scouring the country for potential targets.

McCarthy was originally overlooked by Scotland at all under-age groups and Under-21 level, despite Hamilton Accies officials pushing his case for a call-up.

Eventually, the talented teenager opted for the Republic of Ireland after he was offered the chance to turn out for the Emerald Isle at Under-17 level.

Although born and bred in Glasgow, McCarthy qualifies to play for Ireland though his grandfather. However despite moving through the ranks to represent Ireland at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-21 level, he has yet to make a full squad.

Even if he eventually does make it into Giovanni Trapattoni's full squad he would have to play some part of a competitive game to nail his colours to Ireland.

Levein certainly knows all about the youngsters current form after heading down south to take in Wigan's 2-0 win over Wolves at Molineux last week where he saw McCarthy celebrate his first ever English Premier League start with a goal.
    Dont know what to make of this story?!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if he did to be honest. I always had a feeling that he would anyway.

I hope the FAI act fast on this as he seems to be making his mark at the moment. I would hate it if we were to lose out on him at this stage but I have a bad feeling about it.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    lol would be funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublincelt67 View Post
    Dont know what to make of this story?!
    hmmm, not a lot here really
    standard tabloid "source close to the player" stuff, filled in with fairly established facts to add a degree of authenticity. No player is tied to a country until they play a senior competitive game, it's not just McCarthy.
    Gary Caldwell is at Wigan for 2 weeks, he's hardly likely to change McCarthy's mind in that time.
    Trapattoni has stated before that he doesn't think McCarthy will change alleigances - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...261934,00.html - and McCarthy himself has reaffirmed his desire to play for Ireland - http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3677

To be honest, to me that article is more about Levein wanting to find players that are qualified for Scotland than anything else.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Caldwell has been at Wigan for ten days. Lets say that these super reliable quotes were taken two days ago, allowing a day to file the story. That's eight days. So he's met McCarthy maybe five or six times. We're supposed to believe that a guy who's just moved to a new club and a new city has spent those five days badgering a 19 year old boy rather than trying to fit in to a new squad, and in the meantime he's felt so emotive about his talkings to McCarthy that he's found time to tell a friend about how desperate he is for McCarthy to play for Scotland, and his friend has gotten in touch with the Scottish press.

Alternatively a tabloid hack could be making up a story to sell newspapers in Scotland and thought he could make up an old rubbish and pretend he heard it from an 'unnamed source'.