Page 52 of 258 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Platini is head of UEFA. It was a FIFA game. He couldn't intervene anyway as UEFA still had the potential to host a champions league quarter final and semi final in Rome after the Ireland game but before the final.

If the Italians had chosen a venue they would have announced it.

A couple of people jumped the gun, made assumptions aka Boston in 94 and had to have a reason to backtrack.

The game was "fixed for Rome" very soon after the fixtures were decided. This was never the case and even a small bit of research would have shown that Italy play all over the country.

...and if you carried out of research the facts do not tally with your assertions.

Yes, Italy play throughout the country and everyone should have been aware of that.

However, early last year the FIGC were priming up Rome as the venue to the local football hacks and then 'off the record' confirmed it. Only after intervention from UEFA was the city changed and the reasons were again presented in off the record briefings.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I will only get worried for James' future if I hear that Tuff Paddy is searching high and low to get an interview with the Crossmaglen sniper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    You mean Tuff Paddy who also had good contacts in the Italian FA and confirmed the Italy game for Rome last April.

You can only pull that stunt once.

Gspain,
    Apparently he has interviewed him and did talk to him this week about this rumor.
    Which is more than I or you have talked to him of course.

I guess he was wrong on the travel arrangement thing. It doesnt appear to me to be personally vindictive however and I believe him about talking with James.

Obviously you are free to draw your own conclusions. I guess the matter will not be settled until James is named to the Brazil squad (hopefully).
    Last edited by Crosby87; 27/01/2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    ...and if you carried out of research the facts do not tally with your assertions.

Yes, Italy play throughout the country and everyone should have been aware of that.

However, early last year the FIGC were priming up Rome as the venue to the local football hacks and then 'off the record' confirmed it. Only after intervention from UEFA was the city changed and the reasons were again presented in off the record briefings.
    Why would UEFA intervene in a FIFA World Cup match?

The venue nwas decided and announced late 2008. December 31st if I recall correctly.

The local press didn't start any speculation until December.

The Italians don't spend months pondering over venues for games and wait months to announce them. They considered Florence and Naples and both had speculation in the Italian media before Bari was announced. I don't recall any speculation in the Italian media regarding Rome.

I was trying to check the venue myself at the time using sources in Italy and here in Dublin. The consistent story was that there was no decision made. Rome was considered a good bet as it was thought unlikely they'd bring Trap back to Milan. However they used the smaller stadiums right through the campaign.

Furthermore Italy then failed to bring their last 2 qualifiers to Rome who surely must have been due a game after the champoions league final if they were promised the Ireland one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Gspain,
    Apparently he has interviewed him and did talk to him this week about this rumor.
    Which is more than I or you have talked to him of course.

I guess he was wrong on the travel arrangement thing. It doesnt appear to me to be personally vindictive however and I believe him about talking with James.

Obviously you are free to draw your own conclusions. I guess the matter will not be settled until James is named to the Brazil squad (hopefully).
    I don't think he was being vindictive. I think he just wanted to be first with the news. However some people booked flights based on the info (not me).

The message is that it is dangerous to believe everything you read on the internet.

I really hope he is right this time though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Anywho,

Back to this McCarthy delcaring for Scotland thing:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysing...ws.asp?n=37959

Agent scotches McCarthy switch talk

January 27, 2010

The agent of Scottish-born Republic of Ireland teen star James McCarthy insists the player will not switch international allegiance to his native country.

McCarthy, 19, has long been hailed as one of the brightest prospects in the UK and completed a £1.2m move from Hamilton Academical to Wigan Athletic last summer.
    He scored his first Barclays Premier League goal for the DW Stadium side in the recent win over Wolves, one of the other clubs who battled it out for his services in 2009.

Weekend media reports suggested that McCarthy, who has represented Ireland at under-17, under-19 and under-21 level, could be lured into the Scotland senior fold in the coming months.

But agent Willie McKay has poured cold water over that speculation, telling the Irish Daily Star: “He is an Ireland player and that’s who he wants to play for.

“It’s all rubbish. He wants to play in the first-team for Ireland and so do all his family.”
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Brief mention of this last night on Off The Ball: http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/
    Click Off The Ball -> Tuesday 26th -> Part 3 and it's in the roundup around the 7 minute mark
    Basically it's a non-story and McCarthy is only ever going to play with Ireland
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    just get him in and make him certain hes part of the longterm plan, thats what i say trap.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    “It’s all rubbish. He wants to play in the first-team for Ireland and so do all his family.
    Nice! I wonder if his mum is any good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    just get him in and make him certain hes part of the longterm plan, thats what i say trap.
    A few people have been saying things like this but I have to say, if he wasn't so highly rated I think most here would be saying "let him hump off if he's not committed to us".

Personally, I say let him choose. We shouldn't be trying to tie lads to us just so they won't play for someone else. And we don't need to guarantee anyone a place in the team or in the squad. Doesn't matter who they are. If he wants to represent Scotland I would be disappointed but I would wish him the best of luck.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Another assist tonight, this lad may just well be the real deal we all hoped for.

I sincerely hope he doesnt do a U turn, nonetheless he certainly merits a call up to the first team squad for the next friendly, that should put any concerns to bed.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i watched that on BBC1 and i didnt even konw he was playing. the red/orange jerseys must have confused me
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    i watched that on BBC1 and i didnt even konw he was playing. the red/orange jerseys must have confused me
    He took the corner for the goal.

Is a call up to the Brazil game going to help us at all? It doesn't tie him at all. There's nothing to stop him or Scotland pushing the matter come September.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twoenz View Post
    Is a call up to the Brazil game going to help us at all? It doesn't tie him at all. There's nothing to stop him or Scotland pushing the matter come September.
    I think people are aware that it doesn't tie him to Ireland, but the idea is more to let him know that he's in the mind of the Irish management team and that he has a shot at getting into the team when the Euro Qualifiers come around, in the hopes that he will stick with Ireland.

Personally, I'd really hate to lose him at this stage, but if he wants to play for Ireland, he'll play for Ireland. If the rumours are true (and I don't think they are) and he does eventually line out for Scotland then fair play to him for having the courage to follow his heart and all the best to him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Tuff Paddy over on YBIG, has just quoted James McCarthy reaffirming his commitment to Ireland. He has also stated that there will be an exclusive interview with James in tomorrow's Irish Examiner. I don't know Tuff Paddy but he/she seems to be a genuine fan and poster with some sort of inside track on this issue. I reckon that the information in this case is accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    YBIG would be great if it wasn't for the terrible forum software. Imagine being able to have a custom avatar though. Luxury.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    James shouldn't even feel the need to reaffirm anything towards Irish fans. His word and actions have proved good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Tuff Paddy over on YBIG, has just quoted James McCarthy reaffirming his commitment to Ireland. He has also stated that there will be an exclusive interview with James in tomorrow's Irish Examiner. I don't know Tuff Paddy but he/she seems to be a genuine fan and poster with some sort of inside track on this issue. I reckon that the information in this case is accurate.
    He spoke with James earlier in the week, see above....
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Was there an interview with James in the Irish Examiner? Couldn't see anything on the site anyway.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Watched him play the entire 90 against Everton. Wigan were terrible and McCarthy wasn't great. Having said that, he was comfortable on the ball when he did have it, was always making himself available (unlike Gibson!) and worked hard throughout. He's definitely a better prospect than Gibson at this stage and will likely be in the regular for Ireland within a year or two.

The big question about McCarthy now is just how high of a level he can play at? We have an awful lot of central midfielders playing for lower-half Premier League teams, so it would be nice if we could have a midfielder playing for a team with European football under their belts. Jury is still out on whether McCarthy will be able for that level!