Results 4,941 to 4,960 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    You're right. He obviously thinks he's crap.
    Who said that? Building straw men for yourself to knock down? You another one of those non armchair supporters with brine?

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Yes people are armchair supporters because they don't agree with you. Posts like these make you look like a fool, a fanboy, both or James McCarthy himself. Who made you such an authority on Irish central midfield players? I'd argue nobody.
    One finger points forward, three point back. Take a chill pill, YI, and play the ball not the man.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts
    Yes people are armchair supporters because they don't agree with you. Posts like these make you look like a fool, a fanboy, both or James McCarthy himself. Who made you such an authority on Irish central midfield players? I'd argue nobody.

If you really knew anything about Ireland and midfielders you would know that Kinsella and Holland offered far more than McCarthy in a much more competitive team playing and getting results against much better opposition than McCarthy ever has for Ireland.

You always knew Kinsella was in the midfield when he was playing and certainly you knew that the opposition midfielders were well aware of it too. As for Holland he weighed in with a number of very important and often spectacular goals against quality opposition. McCarthy is nothing like either. He is more like a budget Michael Carrick.

Are these fans who watch him week in week out armchair supporters also?

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=177095

Most of those fans for that struggling Premiership team with one top player (Zaha) wouldn't even have him starting for them. That's how highly they think of him those armchair supporters.

But yes you know better.
    He has had very few good games for Ireland. The Evidence keeps stacking up. Went missing in his latest game, again. Is he minding his body playing for Ireland because of his injury history. If International football is too much for him wouldn’t he be better off to admit it and concentrate on his club career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Who said that? Building straw men for yourself to knock down? You another one of those non armchair supporters with brine?
    You asked me to provide evidence that SK has big plans for him, I provided the evidence. This wasn't good enough for you. Even if you believe Kenny was only bigging him up to put a little pep in his step, grand, actions speak louder than words, and he selected him for his first game in charge despite taking a heavy knock the week previously, and his club manager indicating that he shouldn't play.

But you'd prefer to focus on the fact that he was taken off in the game. By the way, he was pretty poor I agree, and has been underwhelming in many games for us over the years, though I disagree he's been as average at club level.

He came back from basically 3/4 years out with injuries, one career threatening, to re-establish himself as a Premier League regular, no mean feat I would have thought, especially earning such high praise for his performances from his manager. But you'd prefer to focus on some fans being okay with losing him to another Premier League side.

You'd prefer to highlight the fact he started the 1-6 versus Germany than the 1-0. We get it, you don't rate him, but a little bit of balance would go a long way or as EG says, take a chill pill.

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    in my opinion to get the best out of Jimbo McCarthy he needs to play freely on the pitch, as a deep lying playmaker. Play the team around him. Of course he got two nasty injuries.

Ditto this the change of formation is irrevocable and we might see a 3-4-3 with one of Egan or Duffy as Sweeper

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    in my opinion to get the best out of Jimbo McCarthy he needs to play freely on the pitch, as a deep lying playmaker. Play the team around him. Of course he got two nasty injuries.

Ditto this the change of formation is irrevocable and we might see a 3-4-3 with one of Egan or Duffy as Sweeper
    Maybe a 2-2-2-2-2.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    [QUOTE=Olé Olé;2047198]Maybe a 2-2-2-2-2.[/QUOTE
    what about

----------------------------------------------Randolph-----------------------------------------

----------------coleman------------------egan------------------------------clark

doherty-------------------Molumby---------- Jimbo Mc---------------------------------Stevens

Brady-------------------------------McGoldrick-----------------------------Connolly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Really like the look of that. I think Hendrick is there to stay for the time being though, which I don't have a major problem with.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Really like the look of that. I think Hendrick is there to stay for the time being though, which I don't have a major problem with.
    i
    watched a Matty Holland interview where he stated something similar about what i said.

sit hourihane as a cover of the back 4 as a central mid. and free Jimbo McCarthy's energy, and assets in a more advanced role.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He has had very few good games for Ireland. The Evidence keeps stacking up. Went missing in his latest game, again. Is he minding his body playing for Ireland because of his injury history. If International football is too much for him wouldn’t he be better off to admit it and concentrate on his club career.
    If he was minding his body he wouldn't have shown up to play while injured, would he? I swear, from day one this thread has been the worst.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    If he was minding his body he wouldn't have shown up to play while injured, would he? I swear, from day one this thread has been the worst.
    He plays like he is looking after himself.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Doesn't make sense. If he is minding his body playing for Ireland, why show up at all?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    He also showed up not fully fit to play for Ireland back in his Everton days. Koeman was not happy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    There were a lot of Man Utd Players ( under Ferguson particularly ) and Liverpool Players (particularly of the 70’s and 80’s ) that showed up for different Countries and “ did not put in all in “ So, its not unheard of for players to not put in all in at international level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    He plays like he is looking after himself.
    Thats the way he's always played, and more so since his injury.

He was poor against Bulgaria but hopefully will have had a run of games before Slovakia, as he is very likely to start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    718 Posts
    As a mod here (for the purposes of adding info to the player thread titles), I can't add anyone to my ignore list, but I will be actively ignoring any post that calls McCarthy, "Jimbo".

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Yep. He is by a country mile our best midfielder. Passing. Tackling. positioning. I think after this international window his critics on here will be silent
    Come again?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Come again?
    Haha he wasn't great v Bulgaria tbf, but he is our best midfielder by a mile. The midfield in both games were hopeless. Poor poor v Bulgaria and molumby and arter positioning were borderline comedy v Finland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Haha he wasn't great v Bulgaria tbf, but he is our best midfielder by a mile. The midfield in both games were hopeless. Poor poor v Bulgaria and molumby and arter positioning were borderline comedy v Finland
    He was actually our worst midfielder of 6 over the course of the 2 games but don't let some facts get in the way of a gut feeling.
    Last edited by youngirish; 07/09/2020 at 1:39 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,236 Posts
    That's a fairly subjective comment to be calling a "fact", in fairness.

25. Thanks From: