Page 151 of 258 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Was there a football story in there somewhere?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    sorry, hit the paywall.
    Fortunately, google has a handy workaround, you can search for the article address and view the text from the article

JAMES McCARTHY has hit back at Robbie Keane's claim that he let Ireland down by pulling out of the Republic of Ireland's end of season internationals.

At last month's Carling Cup of Nations, Keane ranted at the young players who withdrew from Giovanni Trapattoni's squad, guys he said "don't have the appetite for international football."

He seemed to target McCarthy when he added: "If people don't want to play for Ireland, don't declare yourself as Irish - it's simple."

Now in a hard-hitting Sport of the World exclusive, the 20-year-old Wigan ace has finally broken his silence to tell HIS side of the story.

Glasgow-born McCarthy insisted: "Injury was the only thing which kept me out of the Ireland squad last month. I suffered a grade one ligament injury at Stoke in Wigan's final

game of the season, my ankle was swollen and sore and the Irish doctor WAS notified.

"I never turned my back on Ireland, my conscience is totally clear. I plan to let things settle over the summer and then I intend to contact Mr Trapattoni.

"I want to talk to him before the next Ireland squad is named because I want to put this issue to bed. I'm also sure I'll have a word with Robbie Keane and the rest of the lads when we next get together.

When you're told you can't play, you don't play

"I have nothing but respect for Robbie Keane but in my opinion he spoke out before he was in possession of all the facts in my case.

"He is a decent guy and he's a good captain. I am sure he will listen to my side of the story.

"If I had been fit, of course I would have reported for international duty.

"Everyone knows the story about the Scotland and Ireland issue. It keeps on raising its head but my commitment to Ireland is simply not in question.

"I made my decision and it was to play for Ireland. I'd love to believe I could follow in Robbie's footsteps and go on to win 100 caps one day.

"When you're told you can't play, you don't play. This all came about because I picked up an ankle injury in Wigan's final game of the season against Stoke.

"My ankle was badly swollen and my club physio Richard Evans said he didn't want to take any chances.

"It was the same ankle which had been operated on in October after I'd ruptured ligaments against Bolton. Richard told me he would arrange for me to have a scan on the injury the following day.

"He also contacted the Irish team doctor, Dr Byrne, to tell him I had twisted my ankle and required a scan.

"The results showed I was suffering from grade one ligament damage.

"I asked Richard what I should do about Ireland and I was told not to worry about that, they would contact Ireland's medical staff.

"The first I knew there was any problem was when I got the papers and I realised that Mr Trapattoni was clearly unhappy.

"Then Robbie Keane had his say, I was being criticised from all quarters.

"I read stories which said I had made no effort to get in contact with Ireland. There were even some wild tales that Giovanni Trapattoni tried to call me personally and I refused to respond.

"The truth is I was only contacted once that week by the FAI - from Mary, the liaison officer. She sent a text containing my flight details.

"I didn't reply straight away but after our final game at Stoke I sent a text to say I needed to go for a scan.

"When I received the results I sent a text to say I wouldn't be able to take that flight.

"I think there was just a simple misunderstanding because Mr Trapattoni couldn't have been informed by his medical staff that I was injured.

"I'm grateful that The News of the World has given me this chance to state my side of the case clearly.

"I have made my choice to represent Ireland - but I can't play for anyone when I could barely walk, let alone run."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    "I'm grateful that The News of the World has given me this chance to state my side of the case clearly."

He has everybody's number but needs to go through the News of the World to communicate with them?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Sounds like he genuinely wants to play for Ireland and he can't be compared with Stephen Fruitcake. A couple of weeks away from Whelan/Martinez has probably cleared his head. He will still have to start showing up before every game unless he is physicially unable to do ie broken leg/arm to prove his intent. Same applies to the other alleged no shows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Possibly he feels the need to explain his side of the story to the public as well as I'm not sure the FAI were going to come out and contradict their earlier line.

Quote Originally Posted by James McCarthy
    The results showed I was suffering from grade one ligament damage.
    What scans were sent to the Irish team doctor then?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    "I'm grateful that The News of the World has given me this chance to state my side of the case clearly."

He has everybody's number but needs to go through the News of the World to communicate with them?
    That's a low blow. The boy has stated his case, and I'm thankful for one that he used the NOW. I probably wouldn't have heard the real story otherwise. I think we all knew there was a real story waiting to get out. If there is someone to blame here, and I'm not sure there is, it would be Wigan F.C. James has stated his case, and has said what we needed to hear. So we need to shut up now and let the boy play his game. We need him so badly in our barren midfield. Hopefully he can put his foot on the ball and compose our play which will result in Robbie getting more chances to add to his tally. Win win all around.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    AS AN ADDENDUM - Wigan can't really be blamed if their medical staff are showing a grade one ligament ailment. I take it back. Out of all this however let's hope the communication between clubs and the FAI improves in the future. Good luck James and if I can take the liberty of speaking for all Irish fans - we hope to see you in the green of Ireland for many years to come.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I hope what he says about leaving it for the summer and then contacting Trap is true. It would seem like the most sensible approach. And let's hope the Indo WUMs stay out of it so we can look forward to many years of McCarthy in a green shirt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I wasn't expecting him to make any kind of statement. But that was fairly comprehensive, fair play to him. Can't see him missing too many squads for a while if the tone of that is any indication. I look forward to his next 97 caps...

Danny should fire off a copy of 'FIFA Player Eligibility in the Context of Ireland...' to the NotW. Obliging folk that they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    That's a low blow.
    A low blow for asking the chap to dial a few numbers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Arsenal linked with move for McCarthy: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...060480,00.html
    not a lot in the story to be honest
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Maybe I'm too old school but I just think it's very blasée sending a text. If you're asked to play for your country and can't turn up is it too much hassle to pick up the phone? I don't doubt his injury claims, I just think it would show some respect making a phone call.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    The Daily Mail (not necessarily reliable) is suggesting that James cannot agree a contract extension with Wigan which might heighten the interest from some of the big clubs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...reak-down.html
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Martinez must be delighted he is not making a rushed decision.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    With N'Zogbia already off to Villa they'd be skirting the muddy banks of s**t creek if they lost McCarthy too.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Martinez must be delighted he is not making a rushed decision.
    James has always said he'll take the summer to make a decision and whoever he chooses will be very lucky.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    And lets not forget Martinez's wife is from Scotland so he could end up at Hibs.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    James confirms he will be in Dublin next wk. In other news Trap has confirmed his summer hols are over and he is working through his latest collection of DVD boxsets:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...p-2841984.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Went off injured v Villarreal. Just brilliant....
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 07/08/2011 at 4:47 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Any idea how serious it is? Villarreal really going out of their way to hamper our hopes of Euro 2012 qualification. They don't play Fulham in a pre-season friendly, do they?...