Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Danny never rests.

Just like crime.

He never pays either.

Just like crime.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Give the same old sophistry a rest.
    "any mention of him on any other thread, other than "played/scored/booked/sent off for Villa" and you can have some time off to think about what you've done"

I responded by PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    How about you respond to the questions or points that were put to you regarding Martinez and McCarthy/Coleman? And when I say 'respond', I mean to the specific points or questions that were actually put to you, not just another repetitive rant that doesn't actually deal with what you've been asked. You may have covered Danny in that PM, but myself and Tets have unanswered questions, to name two.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It's up to the FAI, I presume, to insist on getting them checked. How is it Martinez's fault if they don't? Listen TOWK, you're making a lot of assumptions. The injuries may have been minor, but there may also have been a chance of aggravating the injuries. You're only speculating, guessing and assuming but basing it on very little. The injuries can't have been that minor if Martinez wasn't willing to risk two of his most important players for a crucial game at OT.
    Just to put things things in perspective, I have a minor running injury. I know I couldn't race tomorrow. I'd bet my life I could race on Wednesday. The margin between being fit and not fit is often marginal. That said I think Martinez was doing his best to persuade the players and FAI not to play last month. O'Neill clearly has some doubt and I'm sure will insist on a FAI assessment this time around.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    How about you respond to the questions or points that were put to you regarding Martinez and McCarthy/Coleman? And when I say 'respond', I mean to the specific points or questions that were actually put to you, not just another repetitive rant that doesn't actually deal with what you've been asked. You may have covered Danny in that PM, but myself and Tets have unanswered questions, to name two.
    No such luck. Just in case you were under the impression he might not be habitually dodging the points raised in this thread entirely, the PMs have got nothing to do with McCarthy/Coleman/Martinez. We were discussing solely the availability of the other unmentionable.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Sex, drugs or Gibson?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I hope I didn't jinx it!

But nobody's stopping the FAI from deciding. The FAI are fully entitled to call James over for examination if there is an injury concern there. Why are you trying to foist responsibility for this onto Martinez? If he's bull****ting, the FAI doctor will call him up on it. Ergo, I don't think he's bull****ting because I don't think it would be worth his while to do so.

They both missed games for Everton due to the problems. And it's the fault of the FAI if the association didn't enforce their right to call them over.

What was the "bizarre stance" exactly and what gave you the impression that Martinez was trying to place pressure upon James? Did he express a stance at all? If indeed he was trying to pressure James (and I don't think he was), for someone who bears such influence over the lad, it clearly didn't work.

But it's still paranoia.

It's not up to Everton to send them. It's up to the FAI to call them over. There were clearly problems there. They missed crucial games due to the injuries/fatigue. How can you dismiss the veracity of the claims so nonchalantly when Martinez kept them out of his own squads? Grand deception, was it?...

I'm sure he would, but so what? That's his job. He's a football manager and his professional duty is to protect the interests of the football team he is managing and the interests of that team only. If those interests happen to clash with the interests of the FAI, it's up to the FAI to stand their ground. Martinez's wishes are irrelevant really. I don't know why you're making such an issue about him.
    The FAI took Martinez on his word in October. O'Neill has strongly hinted that he believes McCarthy & Coleman could have been available for the Germany game which subsequent events attested to. O'Neill has said he will demand the players be assessed by FAI doctors next time.

Yes. I know the FAI share culpability but that still wouldn't excuse Martinez exaggerating the seriousness of injuries. I never said they didn't miss the Man Utd game for no reason - that's just you twisting what I say again and putting words in my mouth. I said they could/should have recovered sufficiently for Germany game and/or allowed the FAI to make a decision on their availability.

At the time I remember Martinez encouraging a committed player to delay stamping his allegiance to Ireland. Some of his actions were very unhelpful at a delicate time during which we already had Trapattoni making incendiary statements and insinuations about the player.

Your opinion.

I already posited that Martinez rested them for the Man Utd game because it was on the eve of an Intl. break and with them not linking up with the Ireland squad, they could get an extended rest. E.G. Liverpool rested half their first team for a crucial away game with Real Madrid. It's not unheard of for big teams contending with thin squads and growing injury lists to rotate players occasionally. It's an opinion.

Already commented on that above but the FAI's diplomacy/incompetence doesn't excuse Martinez behavior and merely serve to add flames to the fire when he already has history with the FAI.

@ DeLorean Don't know why you are bringing up Tets. It's not me bringing up something that has been explicitly prohibited. To try and get a reaction? Didn't work.

@ Danny I tried PM'ing you to maintain a little bit of decorum and diplomacy about things but you obviously can't contain yourself when it comes to making unnecessarily patronising, condescending and insulting comments about my opinions and posts.

As is your right.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 09/11/2014 at 6:24 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Anyway, Everton assessing him tomorrow, Martinez hopeful it's fatigue rather than a tear of some kind. Just like he said last month!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...land-1.1994055

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyway, Everton assessing him tomorrow, Martinez hopeful it's fatigue rather than a tear of some kind. Just like he said last month!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...land-1.1994055
    It says the following:

Quote Originally Posted by The Irish Times
    [O]’Neill is set to name his final squad later this evening from the 36-strong provisional list named for the Scotland game and the friendly internationals against the USA.
    I'm assuming that means tomorrow evening an that article is for the Monday paper.

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    What's the betting on McCarthy? I say in, though with little conviction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm with you on this one. Definitely in. McCarthy and McGeady to combine to score the winner

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The sheer magnitude of his desire to play in this game will sort out any petty fitness issues.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Definitely in. McCarthy and McGeady to combine to score the winner
    As long as tricky doesn't put 10p on it then it's a good bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    That's defo a 50p bet in anyone's language.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    If Tricky was having that bet, it would be 50p e/w, followed by hours of anguish about how he could spread the risk.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    @ DeLorean Don't know why you are bringing up Tets. It's not me bringing up something that has been explicitly prohibited. To try and get a reaction? Didn't work.
    Seriously? I think it was pretty obvious I mentioned Tets (and Danny) because, like me, they had questions that you chose to let hang there. Of all your traits, I find it the most annoying. I see you've gone on to deal with the most of them though in your more recent post.

Okay, so you accept that Coleman and McCarthy were injured very close to the time that our internationals were on, but you assume to know that they were fit in time for the German game? How could you possibly know this? It's pure guess work. Martinez is going to do what he feels is best for Everton, that's not a stick to beat him with. If you're right, and the two lads were fit and fully able to play, then I'd be far more disappointed in Coleman and McCarthy than I would be annoyed with Martinez.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    If you're right, and the two lads were fit and fully able to play, then I'd be far more disappointed in Coleman and McCarthy than I would be annoyed with Martinez.
    Couldnt have said it better myself
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    True, but it still doesn't stop me thinking Martinez is playing silly buggers though. I worked for a company in North Carolina once. Before I joined my NYC mate warned me of "southern grin fcukers". I had never heard the term, meaning someone who is all smiley and nice but a Macchiavellian cnut behind your back. All the hysteria earlier in this thread makes me think of Martinez in that light. My instinct is to like him, but I can't be sure.

I'd hire him to be my club manager any day of the week though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    The FAI took Martinez on his word in October. O'Neill has strongly hinted that he believes McCarthy & Coleman could have been available for the Germany game which subsequent events attested to.
    If you (or O'Neill) think Martinez is a suspect character or that he wasn't being completely honest on that occasion, more fool the FAI for taking him on his word when they have the power to call players over for medical assessment. Did O'Neill "strongly hint" that be believed that? Didn't he say he'd spoken with Coleman who told him he wasn't fit, and O'Neill was satisfied with that? And subsequent events do not attest to the claim that they could have been available at all. What subsequent events are you referring to?

Yes. I know the FAI share culpability but that still wouldn't excuse Martinez exaggerating the seriousness of injuries.
    Who cares about Martinez? He's irrelevant insofar as the FAI have rights to bypass him here.

I never said they didn't miss the Man Utd game for no reason - that's just you twisting what I say again and putting words in my mouth. I said they could/should have recovered sufficiently for Germany game and/or allowed the FAI to make a decision on their availability.
    How would you know if they could or should have recovered sufficiently? Are you a doctor? Did you examine them?

Nobody was disallowing the FAI to make a decision on their availability, so I don't know why you keep trying to give the impression that the FAI were wronged here or something. If the FAI didn't make a decision, it's because of their own failings; not because Martinez put hurdles in their way.

At the time I remember Martinez encouraging a committed player to delay stamping his allegiance to Ireland. Some of his actions were very unhelpful at a delicate time during which we already had Trapattoni making incendiary statements and insinuations about the player.
    I want specifics. What did he say and what actions? If he was trying to sideline or postpone the "international allegiance issue", it was most likely because he saw it as a silly distraction to McCarthy's club football generally; not because he had some problem with McCarthy committing to Ireland specifically. You seem to think Martinez owes us something or has some duty to be helpful to us at all times. He has his own business to take care of. So long as the FAI (and our players) stick up for our interests, that's all we can ask.

I already posited that Martinez rested them for the Man Utd game because it was on the eve of an Intl. break and with them not linking up with the Ireland squad, they could get an extended rest. E.G. Liverpool rested half their first team for a crucial away game with Real Madrid. It's not unheard of for big teams contending with thin squads and growing injury lists to rotate players occasionally. It's an opinion.
    But it just doesn't seem plausible. Martinez took six points off United last season. There's no reason why he wouldn't have seen that game as very much winnable with his best team out, so resting McCarthy and Coleman if they were indeed match fit just wouldn't make sense. They failed pre-match fitness tests anyway - or Coleman did, at least - so they weren't even in the squad. If they were fit and he was simply resting them, he'd most likely have had them on the bench as potential options just in case they were ever needed, would you not think? Brendan Rodgers rested half his team away to Real for conservation reasons as he knew he hadn't a hope in hell of winning the game anyway.

Already commented on that above but the FAI's diplomacy/incompetence doesn't excuse Martinez behavior and merely serve to add flames to the fire when he already has history with the FAI.
    He's irrelevant. He's fully entitled to do his own job and protect his own interests. He doesn't owe us good behaviour.

@ Danny I tried PM'ing you to maintain a little bit of decorum and diplomacy about things but you obviously can't contain yourself when it comes to making unnecessarily patronising, condescending and insulting comments about my opinions and posts.

As is your right.
    Well, give over about it and stop moaning about being victimised and other such nonsense.

Honest to God, like... Decorum and diplomacy? It's not as if we were discussing anything remotely "private" or in need of containment for such reasons; just a finer detail of a matter we've discussed to death already in the public arena to tets' nuisance. Anyway, you're one to talk given the trying, undignified, insincere and downright frustrating manner through which you've consistently conducted yourself on here. You've tested my patience, TOWK, and I have a low tolerance for your fallacies. I want to offer an olive branch of good will - I really do - and I keep questioning whether I'm being a bit hard on you because you keep complaining so loudly about it (and I have to ask myself why I'm allowing myself to get so wound up at times in the first place), but I'm really not convinced yet that you're interested in discussing matters in good faith. I should stop trying to convince myself of your ability to change. If you stopped being so disingenuous, I'd have very little to resent, or "patronise", as you think I'm doing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I think it'd be quite nice to beat Scotland without McCarthy.