Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD TV Owners

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

LCD TV Owners

I've just bought a 40" LCD TV.

Ignoring the fact that it's probably just that little too big (I reckon the 37" model would've been perfect..) watching it tends to make my eyes bloody sore.

Does anyone else with an LCD TV have this problem, as it's really feckin' me off ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    I've just bought a 40" LCD TV.

Ignoring the fact that it's probably just that little too big (I reckon the 37" model would've been perfect..) watching it tends to make my eyes bloody sore.

Does anyone else with an LCD TV have this problem, as it's really feckin' me off ??
    LOL

Had this very same problem myself.

Eventually I hooked it up to pc as a monitor and calibrated the colour and contrast with software (Spyder). Also changed the viewing mode to natural.

Other than that, Optrex
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Also viewing distance very important for an LCD.

You are supposed to be at least two to three times the screen size away from the TV, so for a 40 inch thats about 7-10 feet away.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ive a 42" plasma and my chair is about 5 to 6 foot from the screen ( its in the small box room in my house connected up to the playstation ) Ive found if im watching a DVD ( i dont have a TV signal in that room ) it is too big and gets blocky and blurry like watching a film on a pc monitor . but when the High Def stuff ( PS3 / blueray disk ) is hooked up its crystal clear .

But sometimes when gaming i have to do a bit of messing around with contrast and sharpness brightness etc which is a pain . might look into that spyder software .

Also mine has a built in Digital signal recever anyone know how i go about getting free to air channels or is that still only in the uk

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steve with ORA with this, you need to be at least the 7/10 feet suggested away from the screen. This will not only improve the picture but should stop the sore eyes as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Good advice guys.

I've measured out the distance from my head to the screen and it's 94 inches (i.e. 7ft 8inches). My screen is 40" (3ft 4 inches) - so on the 2-3 times ratio I need to be 80-120inches away. 94 inches is within that range - albeit in the lower third though, which may be a problem. I could have it recessed into my chimney breast, but that would only gain me another 6 inches or so.

I did a lot of research before I bought the telly, and annoyingly didn't find any advice about screen size-to-distance ratios. Pain.

SC - did that computer software tinkering solve your viewing problems ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Good advice guys.

SC - did that computer software tinkering solve your viewing problems ?
    Steve, made a huge difference and made the viewing experience much better

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I spoke to Samsung earlier today about my TV and eyes issue.

Bizzarely, they said that the guidance for distance from a 40inch TV is 8 to 12 feet...! When I asked them what it was for a 37" TV - only a quarter of a foot smaller - they said it was to be 4 to 6 feet away. When I asked them why you needed to be twice as far away from a TV that was less than 8% bigger, they couldn't give me an answer and just said that 'that was what eye people recommend'.

Anyways - anyone want a cracking 40inch 1080p colour LCD TV, barely a week old and hardly used ? Make me an offer I can't refuse, as I'm trading down to the 37inch.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I spoke to Samsung earlier today about my TV and eyes issue.

Bizzarely, they said that the guidance for distance from a 40inch TV is 8 to 12 feet...! When I asked them what it was for a 37" TV - only a quarter of a foot smaller - they said it was to be 4 to 6 feet away. When I asked them why you needed to be twice as far away from a TV that was less than 8% bigger, they couldn't give me an answer and just said that 'that was what eye people recommend'.

Anyways - anyone want a cracking 40inch 1080p colour LCD TV, barely a week old and hardly used ? Make me an offer I can't refuse, as I'm trading down to the 37inch.......
    Off the top of my head steve but from my schooldays, almost 30 yrs ago a 40" would be about 23% bigger viewable area and not 8%
    Last edited by soccerc; 16/08/2007 at 2:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Off the top of my head steve but from my schooldays, almost 30 yrs ago a 40" would be about 23% bigger viewable area and not 8%
    That's all fine and dandy, but did your calculations take into account the size of Steve's head???
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steve, I have done the same thing went for the 40" when the 37
    2 made a lot more sense. Am a bit sorry as well but am able to sit 7/8ft away and do not have the sore eye issue.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    steve, ill pick it up from ya and buy if off ye for £500. deal? more than you'll get on ebay anyhow
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The size of the tv isnt the problem its the imput , a 37" LCD will give you the same problems with your eyes, Either get in High Def or buy a proper old fashioned big telly, LCD and Plasma's give really poor picture quality that is what hurts your eyes .No one should have a Flat tv with only a digital signal going into it .

My 42" is fine but i only use it for gaming( 2 to 6 hours ) and ive never got pains in my eyes , but watching my mates 36" tv gives me a headache after 20 -30 mins . the TV in my sitting room is a old big bulky thing i wouldnt watch tv on anything else .

Failing that just stick 1 1/2 inches of black tape around the edge of the 40" screen hey presto 37"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    You've got your maths way wrong here SC !

Divide 100 by 37, and then multiply it by 40. You get 108.1 - giving you the percentage difference between the two as +8.1%.

If a 40inch screen was 23% smaller it'd be a 31.8" screen. 23% is almost a quarter, and even a Free State education (complete with regular spanking from the priests) would tell you that a quarter off off 40 should leave you with 30 - not close to 37......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think he's talking about the percentage difference between the viewing area of a 40" and a 37". Not the percentage difference between40" and 37"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
    I think he's talking about the percentage difference between the viewing area of a 40" and a 37". Not the percentage difference between40" and 37"
    Ahhh - gotcha. But is there really almost an extra quarter of viewing area added by only 3 inches ?

Doesn't sound right, but I can't be arsed working out the dimension of 2 triangles to calculate it for myself. Will just have to take SC's word for it so !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    What are you watching on it?

Its a HDTV i would imagine so anything other than HDTV will look gack on it.

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    You've got your maths way wrong here SC !

Divide 100 by 37, and then multiply it by 40. You get 108.1 - giving you the percentage difference between the two as +8.1%.

If a 40inch screen was 23% smaller it'd be a 31.8" screen. 23% is almost a quarter, and even a Free State education (complete with regular spanking from the priests) would tell you that a quarter off off 40 should leave you with 30 - not close to 37......
    Steve

I think maybe you've got it wrong. A fundamental error that the De la Salle brothers ensured we wouldn't make

The viewable area is measured on the diagonal not the horizontal.

For example, a 32" is only 27" x 15.5" total area. A 40" I think from a rough calculation in my head is about 34.5 x 21" so you do the math.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Steve

I think maybe you've got it wrong. A fundamental error that the De la Salle brothers ensured we wouldn't make

The viewable area is measured on the diagonal not the horizontal.

For example, a 32" is only 27" x 15.5" total area. A 40" I think from a rough calculation in my head is about 34.5 x 21" so you do the math.
    I'm taking your word for it SC, as I can't be arsed to crunch the numbers.....!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Doesn't sound right, but I can't be arsed working out the dimension of 2 triangles to calculate it for myself. Will just have to take SC's word for it so !

you mean you cant steve.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast