Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Dublin Marathon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dublin Marathon

Well, has anyone done or is anyone doing the Marathon at the end of October? If so have you any tips on preparing for it? Just been out for another jog and trying to figure out how the hell im going to make 26 miles!
    Eoin Mullen, Bohemians legend!

"You should always take good care of your cat" - Postman Pat, 1991

2005 - a great year for Irish football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The most important thing is to go for a long run one every week or ten days and try to make each run a mile or two longer than the previous one.

If you're planning to run the whole thing you'll want to get up to about 20 miles in training. If you're just hoping to get around I'd recommend walking at the start instead of the finish because it's a lot more comfortable.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Not sure if correct but I have heard need about 6 months to prepare from scratch.

I have also heard you need to be able to complete 20 miles in individual training sessions before tackling the full Marathon.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You will struggle big time!...if you have only started training you will find it almost impossible to run the full distance, and it will then be a very long walk!

I trained for six months before doing my first Marathon ( having completed several Half-Marathons ), and still found the Full distance very painful

Having trained for a further six months I then knocked 35 mins off my earlier time, when completing the london Marathon in 3 hours 24 mins.

However, I wish you the very best of luck!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I did my first marathon this year. I quite enjoyed the whole experience to be honest. Didn't do as well as I thought tho so gonna do another one next year. Anyway, the night of the marathon, I wrote down all the tips I'd learnt. Here they are...

Advice on Training
    Get a good pair of runners. I've heard some horror stories about blisters but I got a solid pair of Asics at the start of my training and never had any problems.
    Keep changing your training routes. It will be a lot less boring
    Keep changing the music on your iPod - again this will make it a lot less boring!
    Use sweatbands - they look cool and are handy for keeping sweat out of your eyes.
    Nike Pro or bodyarmour is a godsend in the battle againt chaffing. I only wore the performance shorts and never had any problems.
    Also on chaffing - mind your nipples. Use bandages or tape to keep them covered up on the longer runs.
    For you long runs, avoid covering 2 laps of a circuit or following a route that is "to somewhere and back"
    Have fruit for breakfast - it's good for you and has feck all calories allowing you to have a large lunch and dinner which will give ya more energy in the evenings for training.
    In the weekends, train during the day - I regret not doing this more. It is when races are gona take place.
    On longer runs, never give up. If you have to stop and walk for a while, do, but don't give up!
    Try to run a shorter race in training to get you used to race situations. There are plenty of 10k races around that will get you some experience.
    Experiment with different fuelling strategies on the training runs. I used the PowerGel bars which worked well for me. Find something your body likes and use it.
    Be ware of hyponatremia. Basically when you sweat you sweat salt and water, and when you drink water you only replace the water so you have to find some way of getting the salt back in your body.
    Ice baths feel horrible at first but they are well worth it!

Advice on race day
    Think out your race. It's a very important part that I regret not spending more time on. An hour thinking out a strategy will shave more time than any training session
    Have a plan B. I obviously should have switched to a slower pace when I saw the sun and heat. Have a few different strategies ready.
    When attaching your race number to your shirt, make sure the safety pins are nowhere near your nipples.
    Get your friends out - the encouragement really does get you through.
    If you see hot twins passing you with 4 miles to go, follow them. It makes the last few miles a lot easier (Thank you Marian and Monica Lillis)

Advice on not dinking
    As some of you now, I haven't drank in 2 months. Here's my reccomendations if you are going out without drinking.

Talking one on one to drunk people is easier than talking in a group of drunk people
    When sober, never suggest anything. Drunk peoples ideas are more fun!
    Lucozade is expensive (3.90 in D2) and will make your **** go a funny colour - don't have too much
    Remember that no beer means no beer jacket - bring a coat
    Carryng an empty beer bottle gives ya something to do with your hands (Budweiser or something dark is best)
    The best nights are when people aren't drunk or are very drunk - in the middle is a weird period.
    Also I found a small group (<3) or a large group (<12) is the easist to go out with.
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I finished it with feck all training walking but I wouldn't recommend doing it that way!

It really depends on how you plan to do it. If you want to run the full 26 then you'd want to be well underway at this stage but if you plan on splitting it between walking and running, or even just walking, then you should be fine.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shedite View Post
    If you see hot twins passing you with 4 miles to go, follow them. It makes the last few miles a lot easier
    Theres nothing better to get you through to the finish line than a good looking woman in lycra panting.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I did my first marathon this year. I quite enjoyed the whole experience to be honest. Didn't do as well as I thought tho so gonna do another one next year. Anyway, the night of the marathon, I wrote down all the tips I'd learnt. Here they are...
    Wow, I got tired just reading that. Don't think I'm cut out for the full 26 miles.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    You will struggle big time!...if you have only started training you will find it almost impossible to run the full distance, and it will then be a very long walk!

I trained for six months before doing my first Marathon ( having completed several Half-Marathons ), and still found the Full distance very painful

Having trained for a further six months I then knocked 35 mins off my earlier time, when completing the london Marathon in 3 hours 24 mins.

However, I wish you the very best of luck!
    Cheers for the advice lads. I've been training for around 2 months now. Longest job has been 14 miles so far so hoping that I get to 20 by the middle of October. Cheers for the hints and tips, much appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aido_b View Post
    Cheers for the advice lads. I've been training for around 2 months now. Longest job has been 14 miles so far so hoping that I get to 20 by the middle of October. Cheers for the hints and tips, much appreciated!
    You're bang on schedule so. Are you running the ten mile race this weekend?

I don't know how fast you are but I always aim to get to 20 miles in 3 hours and play it a bit by ear from there cuz the last six miles can be a bit unpredictable.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Advice on Training
    Get a good pair of runners. I've heard some horror stories about blisters but I got a solid pair of Asics at the start of my training and never had any problems.
    Keep changing your training routes. It will be a lot less boring
    Keep changing the music on your iPod - again this will make it a lot less boring!
    Use sweatbands - they look cool and are handy for keeping sweat out of your eyes.
    Nike Pro or bodyarmour is a godsend in the battle againt chaffing. I only wore the performance shorts and never had any problems.
    Also on chaffing - mind your nipples. Use bandages or tape to keep them covered up on the longer runs.
    For you long runs, avoid covering 2 laps of a circuit or following a route that is "to somewhere and back"
    Have fruit for breakfast - it's good for you and has feck all calories allowing you to have a large lunch and dinner which will give ya more energy in the evenings for training.
    In the weekends, train during the day - I regret not doing this more. It is when races are gona take place.
    On longer runs, never give up. If you have to stop and walk for a while, do, but don't give up!
    Try to run a shorter race in training to get you used to race situations. There are plenty of 10k races around that will get you some experience.
    Experiment with different fuelling strategies on the training runs. I used the PowerGel bars which worked well for me. Find something your body likes and use it.
    Be ware of hyponatremia. Basically when you sweat you sweat salt and water, and when you drink water you only replace the water so you have to find some way of getting the salt back in your body.
    Ice baths feel horrible at first but they are well worth it!

Advice on race day
    Think out your race. It's a very important part that I regret not spending more time on. An hour thinking out a strategy will shave more time than any training session
    Have a plan B. I obviously should have switched to a slower pace when I saw the sun and heat. Have a few different strategies ready.
    When attaching your race number to your shirt, make sure the safety pins are nowhere near your nipples.
    Get your friends out - the encouragement really does get you through.
    If you see hot twins passing you with 4 miles to go, follow them. It makes the last few miles a lot easier (Thank you Marian and Monica Lillis)

Advice on not dinking
    As some of you now, I haven't drank in 2 months. Here's my reccomendations if you are going out without drinking.

Talking one on one to drunk people is easier than talking in a group of drunk people
    When sober, never suggest anything. Drunk peoples ideas are more fun!
    Lucozade is expensive (3.90 in D2) and will make your **** go a funny colour - don't have too much
    Remember that no beer means no beer jacket - bring a coat
    Carryng an empty beer bottle gives ya something to do with your hands (Budweiser or something dark is best)
    The best nights are when people aren't drunk or are very drunk - in the middle is a weird period.
    Also I found a small group (<3) or a large group (<12) is the easist to go out with.
    I will break my rule of not quoting entire posts for that entertaining post.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student View Post
    You're bang on schedule so. Are you running the ten mile race this weekend?

I don't know how fast you are but I always aim to get to 20 miles in 3 hours and play it a bit by ear from there cuz the last six miles can be a bit unpredictable.
    Yeah I'm doing that race in the park this weekend, should be good. To be honest I can't see myself getting to over 20 miles so just hoping that I get inspiration from somewhere to do the last 6 miles! (Probably park myself behind a chick with a nice arse and follow that to the finish line!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I'm doing that race in the park this weekend, should be good. To be honest I can't see myself getting to over 20 miles so just hoping that I get inspiration from somewhere to do the last 6 miles! (Probably park myself behind a chick with a nice arse and follow that to the finish line!)
    If you get to 20 miles in 3 hours then in the worst case you can walk the last six and still finish in about 4:30.

One other thing, if you want to spend a bit of money on a good pair of shoes, there's a shop in Bray called Amphibian King that's very good.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    aido boy i signed up for marathon last month.......i'll beat you by an hour. training away in gym struggling to get out on the road

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by padjoe View Post
    aido boy i signed up for marathon last month.......i'll beat you by an hour. training away in gym struggling to get out on the road
    Your not barred from Dublin?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Your not barred from Dublin?
    i've a visa for charity gigs and special occasions