Thread: Darren Quigley named in Ireland U-21 squad

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Darren Quigley named in Ireland U-21 squad

From FAI:
    Republic of Ireland Under-21 manager Don Givens has announced his squad for the friendly against Germany in Furth later this month.

The Irish side will take on the German Under-21 team on August 21st in preparation for their first UEFA Under-21 Championship qualifier in early September. Ireland’s senior team are in action 24 hours later in Aarhus when they meet Denmark, also in a friendly.

Ireland U21’s commence their qualifying series with home matches against Portugal on September 7th and England on October 16th. Both games will be staged at Turner’s Cross in Cork. Montenegro and Bulgaria are the other countries which comprise the five-nation pool.

Manager Don Givens sees the game in Germany as timely preparation for the competitive matches over the coming months.

The warm-up fixture presents the manager too with a platform to integrate newcomers into the squad and he has promoted Blackburn Rovers duo Eddie Nolan and Keith Treacy, as well as Stoke City front-man Adam Rooney, from last season’s Under-19 panel.

Also chosen for the games are Anthony Stokes, Stephen O’Halloran and Stephen Gleeson - all of whom collected senior caps during the end of season games against Ecuador and Bolivia in America.

Four others have been part of the Stephen Staunton’s full International set-up without receiving their debuts as yet. They are Darren Randolph, Darren O’Dea, Darron Gibson and Stephen Quinn.

Falkirk midfielder Pat Cregg earns a call-up and Huddersfield Town dynamo Michael Collins makes a return to the squad.

Goalkeeper Darren Quigley of UCD and Bohemians defender Conor Powell are the two representatives of eircom League of Ireland clubs.

Players born on or after January 1, 1986, are eligible to play for Ireland during the qualification matches. That means Givens will no longer be able to call upon the services of Wolves striker Stephen Ward or Paul Keegan of Drogheda United, now that both stalwarts have gone overage.

Givens is instead embarking on the new campaign with a fresh set of players and was pleased with their showing against a talented Holland team in the 1-0 defeat played in Venlo in March.

“Stephen Quinn (Sheffield United) and Darron Gibson (Manchester United) made their debuts in Holland and they are just two of several quality players that are eligible to play for us in the qualifying matches,” he said.

“We have a clutch of players that emerged from last season’s Under-19 panel, most of whom are playing first-team football with their clubs in Ireland and overseas.”

Givens added: “We’re looking forward to this game. Germany have a fantastic pedigree within International football and are certain to provide us a good, competitive game. I have no doubt that the players chosen are relishing the prospect of going to Germany to test themselves against one of Europe’s top nations.

“This is a vital match because it gives the players a chance to stake their claim for places in the squad for our qualifying matches.”

Under-21 Friendly International:
    Tuesday, August 21st 2007
    Germany V Republic of Ireland
    Furth, Germany

Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad:

Darren Quigley (University College Dublin)
    Darren Randolph (Charlton Athletic)
    Eddie Nolan (Blackburn Rovers)
    Tony Kane (Blackburn Rovers)
    Richard Keogh (Bristol City)
    Darren O’Dea (Glasgow Celtic)
    Stephen O’Halloran (Aston Villa)
    Conor Powell (Bohemians)
    Darron Gibson (Manchester United)
    Stephen Quinn (Sheffield United)
    Michael Collins (Huddersfield Town)
    Stephen Gleeson (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
    Patrick Cregg (Falkirk)
    Keith Treacy (Blackburn Rovers)
    Adam Rooney (Stoke City)
    Billy Clarke (Ipswich Town)
    James O’Brien (Glasgow Celtic)
    Anthony Stokes (Sunderland)

UEFA 2009 U21 Championship Qualifying Fixtures
    (Group Three):

07.09.07: Republic of Ireland v Portugal

16.10.07: Republic of Ireland v England

16.11.07: Montenegro v Republic of Ireland

20.11.07: Republic of Ireland v Bulgaria

05.02.08: England v Republic of Ireland

25.03.08: Republic of Ireland v Montenegro

05.09.08: Bulgaria v Republic of Ireland

09.09.08: Portugal v Republic of Ireland
    Hopefully we'll get our home game against Cork postponed- clashes with the next U-21.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Thumbs up Shane McFaul added to U-21 squad

From FAI:
    Republic of Ireland Under-21 manager Don Givens must plan without Keith Treacy the friendly game against the German Under-21 team on August 21st in Furth.

The game is taking place as preparation for their first UEFA Under-21 Championship qualifier in early September.

Treacy was promoted from last season’s Under-19 squad for the first time but the 18-year old is still recovering from a torn thigh muscle and will not be fit enough in time to travel with the squad.

Former Notts County midfielder Shane McFaul will feature in his place and Givens holds great hopes for the UCD player.

“Shane is enjoying a good season for UCD to date in the eircom League of Ireland and this is a good opportunity for him to show us what he is capable of in a challenging friendly contest against the Germans.

“It is a pity that Keith is not available to us for this fixture. He has tremendous ability and the capacity to become a key player in the International set-up. We hope he will be available in the near future.”

The Irish U21’s commence their qualifying series with home matches against Portugal on September 7th and England on October 16th. Both games will be staged at Turner’s Cross in Cork. Montenegro and Bulgaria are the other countries which comprise the five-nation pool.

Under-21 Friendly International:
    Tuesday, August 21st 2007
    Germany V Republic of Ireland
    Furth, Germany

Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad:

Darren Quigley (University College Dublin)
    Darren Randolph (Charlton Athletic)
    Eddie Nolan (Blackburn Rovers)
    Tony Kane (Blackburn Rovers)
    Richard Keogh (Bristol City)
    Darren O’Dea (Glasgow Celtic)
    Stephen O’Halloran (Aston Villa)
    Conor Powell (Bohemians)
    Darron Gibson (Manchester United)
    Stephen Quinn (Sheffield United)
    Michael Collins (Huddersfield Town)
    Stephen Gleeson (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
    Patrick Cregg (Falkirk)
    Shane McFaul (University College Dublin)
    Adam Rooney (Stoke City)
    Billy Clarke (Ipswich Town)
    James O’Brien (Glasgow Celtic)
    Anthony Stokes (Sunderland)
    Givens' comments seem to suggest that he will earn a cap. Add him to the list of UCD players to earn U-21 caps. Also he has now been included in every level of the underage setup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'll add consider him added to the list once he gets a cap and not before. Anyhoo the manager is always going to say positive things about players he's called up.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Is McFaul not still injured?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    I heard he was fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    McFaul is fit.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    He was an unused sub against Galway last week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    He was an unused sub against Galway last week.
    So he was, I hadn't noticed that.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quigley and McFaul named on bench.
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...=2302&Itemid=9

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quigley left on the bench; McFaul came on with 20 minutes to go. Ended 2-2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    From eircomloi.ie:
    McFaul aims for more call-ups

The eircom League of Ireland’s latest international footballer has spoken of the honour of being asked to represent his country.

UCD’s Shane McFaul helped Ireland secure an impressive 2-2 against Germany in his first game for the Republic of Ireland Under-21 side.

The UCD midfielder was introduced into the game for the final twenty minutes to win what he hopes will be the first of many caps. Having graduated from the Under-19 side, McFaul is hoping that he will be able to command a regular place in manager Don Givens’ side.

“It was a great experience”, he said. “Being called into the squad can only help to improve you as a player. It is a really talented squad and I really enjoyed training with the lads, as well as playing in the match.

“I have played for Ireland at Under-19s level, so it’s great to move to the next level. Keith [Treacy] had to pull out of the squad and I got a letter delivered to my door the next morning asking me to join the squad. Pete Mahon phoned me shortly after and I was just delighted.”

Having been moved from defence to midfield in order to replace Gary Dicker at club level, McFaul is now hoping that he can fill the midfielder’s boots at international level also.

“I am in midfield now and I love playing there. The opportunity came up because Gary [Dicker] joined Stockport. Gary is a great player and he was involved with the Irish Under-21 side too, so I’m hoping to emulate him.”

Tuesday’s match in Furth saw three eircom League of Ireland players feature, while another – UCD goalkeeper Darren Quigley – was an unused substitute.

The players must now refocus on club action, with both UCD and Bohemians facing into crucial matches this weekend. UCD take on Shamrock Rovers at Belfield Park, while Bohemians must host league leaders Drogheda United at Dalymount Park.

McFaul says that the UCD players are determined to push up a few places in the league table, while also eyeing-up their chances in both the FAI Ford Cup and eircom League of Ireland Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I wonder if we signed him up to a two year contract. If not, it could be bye bye for nothing soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    I wonder if we signed him up to a two year contract. If not, it could be bye bye for nothing soon.
    Sssshhhhhh!!!