Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAI Poll

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Cant beleive people are still pushing the "shay got us to Japorea" line. watch the matches again.
    Not over a series of games, but undoubtedly in the two Iran games.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I'm sick of this crap of Keane walking away when in fact he was sent home.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Please close this thread.

It has already disintegrated from a "should he be on the list" thread to a "is he a traitor/victim" thread. We're going round in circles as usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Please close this thread.

It has already disintegrated from a "should he be on the list" thread to a "is he a traitor/victim" thread. We're going round in circles as usual.
    These are all in the "reasons why he should be on the list" list.
    Last edited by shanman2; 09/08/2007 at 3:31 PM. Reason: FOR THE BENEFIT OF THAT LIMERICK CLOWN

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanman2 View Post
    Do you remember how Roy was taking pain killing injections in the lead up to the game for his hip injury? Do you remember how he set that tempo good and early with his tackle on Overmars do. Do you remember the tackle he made to win possesion leading up to THAT goal. Correct me if Im wrong but surely he would have just walked around for a bit and cried off after half an hour if he didnt care. Ya though group alright with Cameroon, Saudi Arabia, Germany were always going to win the group.
    Don't disagree that Keane was great for the games he played in and immense against Holland at home but he single handedly didn't get us to Japan/Korea. That's palpable nonsense and it has nothing to with Saipan.

Cameroon had done well in previous tournaments. Not a foregone conclusion that we'd qualify from that group.

Bill, no doubt McCarthy's record when Sunderland got promoted was abysmal but that also ignores that they walked away with the Championship and then got no money to invest in players. What did they expect? His record for Ireland was better than any previous manager, other than Big jack. Hence I dispute the statement that he was the worst manager at the World Cup.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Don't disagree that Keane was great for the games he played in and immense against Holland at home but he single handedly didn't get us to Japan/Korea. That's palpable nonsense and it has nothing to with Saipan.

Cameroon had done well in previous tournaments. Not a foregone conclusion that we'd qualify from that group.

Bill, no doubt McCarthy's record when Sunderland got promoted was abysmal but that also ignores that they walked away with the Championship and then got no money to invest in players. What did they expect? His record for Ireland was better than any previous manager, other than Big jack. Hence I dispute the statement that he was the worst manager at the World Cup.
    To make out he wanted to go home is nonsense. Might i use the mighty Reading as an example of organised management compared to mac carthys shambles. his record with Ireland is great only because the squad we had at the time was probably the best squad Ireland had ever and will ever have....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    This is all in the reasons why he should be on the list.
    That makes no sense to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

well sweeping statements like "worst Manager at WC" or "singlehandedly got us qualification" are always going to ring a tad false. Just saying Macarthy is a limited manager and was even more limited when he was Ireland manager.
    and Orasun if you dont want to read the thread dont read it....simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    and Orasun if you dont want to read the thread dont read it....simple as that.
    Fair enough. At least get my name right though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    god knows what i have just called ya in japanese monkey boy!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Forget about discussing Saipan, it's irrelevant to this thread, and everyone has their own minds made up about it for years, no one will change their opinion based on this crap talk.

I'd like to depart from opinions for a moment and focus on the facts,

In his playing career, Keane won 7 Premiership Titles, 4 FA Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 World Club Cup, 1 SPL Title, 1 Scottish League Cup and 66 caps for Ireland.

Besides that, he was the FAI 'player of the tournament' at USA1994 and must have captained his country more than 20 times. He also won the rarely achieved double of the PFA and Soccer Writers player of the year awards in England.

Furthermore, he captained Manchester United for 8 years (during the most succesful spell of any English club in history), and is regarded by all and sundry as one of the very, very best players in the history of the Premiership (rivalled only by the likes of Shearer, Henry and Cantona).

In light of this record, to suggest that Keano is anything other than one of Ireland's greatest ever sportsmen (let alone footballers) is just nonsense.

Alex Ferguson reckons Keane's the best player he's ever worked with, Ruud Van Nistelrooy reckons Keane was the greatest player he ever played with, but the FAI consider him not even worthy of mention in their list of so-called Irish greats. It beggars belief!!!!

Whatever your opinions are regarding Saipan, is there really anyone on this board that thinks Mark Kennedy is more worthy of inclusion as an 'irish great' than Roy Keane???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    I have said for years on the whole if you are from Cork or a Man Utd fan you are in the Keane camp and most of the rest of us are not .
    Well, I'm neither a Corkonian or a Man Utdwegian but my allegiance was definately with the man who stood up against minnowism and could see the greater picture...pity about the timing though.

Happy birthday Roy...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    Forget about discussing Saipan, it's irrelevant to this thread, and everyone has their own minds made up about it for years, no one will change their opinion based on this crap talk.

I'd like to depart from opinions for a moment and focus on the facts,

In his playing career, Keane won 7 Premiership Titles, 4 FA Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 World Club Cup, 1 SPL Title, 1 Scottish League Cup and 66 caps for Ireland.

Besides that, he was the FAI 'player of the tournament' at USA1994 and must have captained his country more than 20 times. He also won the rarely achieved double of the PFA and Soccer Writers player of the year awards in England.

Furthermore, he captained Manchester United for 8 years (during the most succesful spell of any English club in history), and is regarded by all and sundry as one of the very, very best players in the history of the Premiership (rivalled only by the likes of Shearer, Henry and Cantona).

In light of this record, to suggest that Keano is anything other than one of Ireland's greatest ever sportsmen (let alone footballers) is just nonsense.

Alex Ferguson reckons Keane's the best player he's ever worked with, Ruud Van Nistelrooy reckons Keane was the greatest player he ever played with, but the FAI consider him not even worthy of mention in their list of so-called Irish greats. It beggars belief!!!!

Whatever your opinions are regarding Saipan, is there really anyone on this board that thinks Mark Kennedy is more worthy of inclusion as an 'irish great' than Roy Keane???
    Well put.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by KoemansCC View Post
    Well, I'm neither a Corkonian or a Man Utdwegian but my allegiance was definately with the man who stood up against minnowism and could see the greater picture...pity about the timing though.

Happy birthday Roy...
    Koemans
    As I said MOST PEOPLE , now I know you don't fall into the above list but we will see how he gets on this season as a manager in the priemiership . One thing is for certain he will walk out on Sunderland at some stage as you know it's in his make up .

OOHH yes I will deal with you later young chap with this back chat sort of thing .

FORMERLY: Youwerethereray Traps Cat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=ofjames;742781]

Are you George Hamilton in Disguise!!!
    "The cat is in it, but it's open - and it's a wild cat"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    I would have given both my arms for a chance of turning out for my country and now I have to make do with just watching .
    Had you aspirations of playing in goal?
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    To make out he wanted to go home is nonsense. Might i use the mighty Reading as an example of organised management compared to mac carthys shambles. his record with Ireland is great only because the squad we had at the time was probably the best squad Ireland had ever and will ever have....
    "McCarthy's shambles"

As for the "best squad we ever had" = Ian Harte, Gary Breen, Matt Holland, Niall Quinn at the end of his career, Kilbane etc compared to previous squads that never qualified or even got to a play off. I don't think so. We had a very average squad with outstanding players in Given and Roy Keane and good players in Finnan, Duff and Robbie Keane.

I wouldn't be Mick Mc's greatest fan but attempts to put him down to glorify Keane irritate me. Anyone who watched the documentary about the campaign which ended in the defeat in the play off in Belgium would realise how Mick gave the job 100% and the tears he shed at the end of that game I found very moving.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "McCarthy's shambles"

As for the "best squad we ever had" = Ian Harte, Gary Breen, Matt Holland, Niall Quinn at the end of his career, Kilbane etc compared to previous squads that never qualified or even got to a play off. I don't think so. We had a very average squad with outstanding players in Given and Roy Keane and good players in Finnan, Duff and Robbie Keane.

I wouldn't be Mick Mc's greatest fan but attempts to put him down to glorify Keane irritate me. Anyone who watched the documentary about the campaign which ended in the defeat in the play off in Belgium would realise how Mick gave the job 100% and the tears he shed at the end of that game I found very moving.
    Has anyone got a tissue????? ]
    the work of a footballing genious Team From To Games Won Lost Drawn
    Wolves 21-07-2006 Present 53 23 17 13
    Sunderland 12-03-2003 06-03-2006 147 63 58 26
    Ireland 01-03-1996 05-11-2002 48 22 13 13
    Millwall 18-03-1992 04-02-1996 203 74 59 70

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Owls fan
    What documentary is that ? And do u have it? or can you buy it online ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    think it was called macarthys park
    it was dull as dishwater....hardly a great campaign.....
    think it had stan saying something like "WE DONT GET BEAT" in it....
    dunno if it was the same guy who presided over the thrashings at the hands of holland and germany

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast