Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IL football on sky!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

IL football on sky!

Just to let you all know that Cliftonville v Linfield is on live tonight on Sky 1 if anyones interested! kick off is at 7.45pm. should be a good match, no doubt the blues will be looking for revenge after we beat them at windsor park last week.

Now all it remains for me to do is find a bar in Galway that is showing this match!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    was it called off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Watched the match on sky sport thought it was a superb ad for il football2-2fair result good turn out of cliftonville fans atmosphere was good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by waide View Post
    Watched the match on sky sport thought it was a superb ad for il football2-2fair result good turn out of cliftonville fans atmosphere was good.
    Yip it was great stuff alright. Really enjoyable game, atmosphere and coverage. Good ad for the game of football in general

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Good coverage from Sky, a good crowd and not a bad game. A good advert for the IL overall - better than most EL games I've seen televised this season.

Solitude made me realise what it is that makes even our better grounds look poor on TV. That big steep stand they have at Solitude looks great on TV - particularly when it's draped in banners. Makes it look like a proper big stadium, which EL grounds almost nerver do.

What was the crowd anyways ?

BTW - I loved the way the Sky build-up showed the sign on the stadium wall saying 'no flags that aren't in club colours'. Followed shortly by a view full of tricolours and Union flags. Pointless having such a policy if you don't have the intention of enforcing it....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Good coverage from Sky, a good crowd and not a bad game. A good advert for the IL overall - better than most EL games I've seen televised this season.

Solitude made me realise what it is that makes even our better grounds look poor on TV. That big steep stand they have at Solitude looks great on TV - particularly when it's draped in banners. Makes it look like a proper big stadium, which EL grounds almost nerver do.

BTW - I loved the way the Sky build-up showed the sign on the stadium wall saying 'no flags that aren't in club colours'. Followed shortly by a view full of tricolours and Union flags. Pointless having such a policy if you don't have the intention of enforcing it....
    Its the colours of Linfield.
    Linfield Football Club - Hatchets & Hammers - You Can Only Envy Us

A Blue 52

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Steve do you think on last nights showing that Cliftonville could maybe shock a few teams in the Setanta?

They play like that in most games they play against Linfield and in recent times they have had the more favourable results.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    I thought it was enjoyable game standard may not have been the best but it was exciting stuff. What i liked about Sky is the way they presented the coverage i got the feeling that it was a big game and they were happy to broadcast it. Not like some of the coverage you get here where the TV companies give the impression they are do the league a favour by being there.
    It's called hype and Sky are the Emperors; not that our leagues couldn't do with a bit of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemerz View Post
    Its the colours of Linfield.
    I thought from the Ulster flags that they played in the same colours as Derry City.......

(doubtless you'll aim to justify it by claiming that red and white is 2/3rds of their colours...)

I'm sure if Linfield hypothetically changed kit colour overnight, all the political emblems would disappear....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    Steve do you think on last nights showing that Cliftonville could maybe shock a few teams in the Setanta?
    I can't say to be honest Steve.

I was playing Extreme Multi-tasking last night - channel-hopping between that and the Bohs-Pats game, whilst also hosting a meeting at my house in the room next door (in-view of the television).......!

I therefore didn't get more than an overview of the game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Did watch much of it to be honest as Pats v Bohs on TG4 was a better game.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    With half one side all parked cars on display . Thought it looked amateurish. Also the name Solitude: depressing name if there ever was one.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Cliftonville where know as the amatuars because up until a couple of decades ago they where amataur
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I thought Sky presented it very well and the game did nothing to harm the image of the Irish League.

The preview with the history of the league was very well put together. They said the next live game is the Boxing Day derby - I'm looking forward to it.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    Cliftonville where know as the amatuars because up until a couple of decades ago they where amataur
    Indeed they were along with Bohs down south.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I thought Sky presented it very well and the game did nothing to harm the image of the Irish League.

The preview with the history of the league was very well put together. They said the next live game is the Boxing Day derby - I'm looking forward to it.
    Theyll probably move the Boxing day derby to a 12 noon kick off, which will probably ruin the occasion a bit.
    Linfield Football Club - Hatchets & Hammers - You Can Only Envy Us

A Blue 52

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    With half one side all parked cars on display . Thought it looked amateurish. Also the name Solitude: depressing name if there ever was one.
    I was only talking about the big stand though. It looked really good on TV with all the flags draped over it. We don't have anything of a similar 'double-deck' nature in the EL (bar the tiny Glentoran stand at the Brandywell that never has any banners on it anyway).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    I thought from the Ulster flags that they played in the same colours as Derry City.......

(doubtless you'll aim to justify it by claiming that red and white is 2/3rds of their colours...)

I'm sure if Linfield hypothetically changed kit colour overnight, all the political emblems would disappear....
    I'm certainly no Linfield fan (perish the thought) and I don't approve of unnecessary political references in football, but without carrying out some sort of geometric study, the overwhelming impression of the Linfield support was that they were wearing their club colours - convenient, or otherwise - as this photo demonstrates:

http://www.southstandsays.co.uk/gall.../10002/q51.jpg

There is hardly an NI flag to be seen. Whereas, a significant number of the Cliftonville banners were Irish Tricolours - a stark contrast to their club colours. Still, it made me laugh when they were singing about "hating the Orange *******s" etc, when theirs was the only orange on display anywhere!

Still, overall a good evening for both teams and the Carnegie Irish League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Did watch much of it to be honest as Pats v Bohs on TG4 was a better game.
    Well I did'nt watch much of Pats v Bohs because I thought the Cliftonville v Linfield game was better.
    We'll have to gree to disagree on this one me thinks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Well hope you enjoyed the show thought it was a good advert for the IL and I'm happy that our good record against the Blues remains intacct! Thought that Solitude looked well attendance was roughly 2500-3000 and while there was some idiotic chanting from a minority in both sets of supporters the majority of them were well behaved.

This bodes well for the coming season and hopefully we can make an impact in the setanta cup as well!

As for the flags issue don't really like to see any political flags at a match myself but at the end of the day its part of society up North and I can't see that changing for a while yet and as dcfcsteve says it wouldn't matter what colour Linfield played in you would no doubt still see Union flags at there matches! Ps I noticed two NI flags in the Linfield end anyways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast