Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best Irish international you've seen play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Hmmm.....no Eddie McGoldrick.
    McGrath against the Italians, Keane performance against Portugal at Lansdowne was one of the best indiviual performances I have ever seen.I was a kid when he was playing but Brady seemed to disapoint at times when he played for us altough I remember him playing out of this world away to Holland.Does anybody remember a sublime piece of skill by him at home to the Swiss?(I think)-was surrounded by three men and somehow made them all look incredibly stupid with some amazing footwork.
    Too young for Giles but Stapleton rarely gets a mention and was great for us.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stiofain View Post
    Please tell me your joking.

Im afraid not, Kennedy, Matt Holland, Gary Breen are all in there but no roy keane!!! incredible

Link: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...d=36&Itemid=51

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What are the rules here?
    Best Irish performance I've seen in person was McShanes debut.
    I've seen Keane and (I think McGrath in green), best performance from an Irish international I've seen would be either Gary Kelly against Tottenham (2002 i think) or countless Joey Gamble games mainly against Shels or Drogs.
    Healy had me mighty excited about football in his first 45 minutes at the Cross.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    Im afraid not, Kennedy, Matt Holland, Gary Breen are all in there but no roy keane!!! incredible

Link: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...d=36&Itemid=51
    I don't think its a mistake either. What a petty bunch they are.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    On Alan Kelly in the FAI hall of Fame
    "Winning his third cap in the 3-2 defeat by Austria at Dalymount Park in April 1962, Kelly then kept his place for the next nine games during which time he helped Ireland to the European Championship quarter-finals after a 3-2 aggregate victory over Austria."
    I bet yez didn't know that one.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Keano.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Giles against Russia 3-0, Turkey 4-0, France 1-0.
    Brady in those games mentioned above plus against Brazil 1-0, Malta 8-0, Holland 2-1, Cyprus 6-0, France 3-2.
    McGrath v Holland 0-1, Hungary 2-0, Holland 1-1, Italy 0-1, Poland 3-3, England 1-1, Italy 1-0
    Keane v Spain 0-2, Italy 1-0, Portugal 1-1 and Holland 1-0.

All World Class Performances

Keane's performance against Portugal at home is for me the greatest I have ever seen from an Irish player.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Best performances I have ever seen live: bonner against england in 88. mcgrath and Keane would have to be the Best Irish players I have seen. For pure effort in the shirt, would have to give an honorable mention to Aldridge.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Keane v Portugal is the best Irish player performance I've ever seen. And I'm in the Keane traitor camp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd have to add Shay Given to the above.

What about Packie Bonner? I seem to remember him saving an endless array of one-on-ones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Drog View Post
    What about Packie Bonner? I seem to remember him saving an endless array of one-on-ones

he also, though it may be harsh to say, had an endless array of costly mistakes... v ussr 88, v holland 88, v england 90, v italy 90, v holland 94 and a few games in various qualifiers. Couldnt really be considered best ever player or even best irish goalkeeper, i think.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Keane vs Portugal was the best individual performance for me, but claims that he "single-handedly" got us to the World Cup are off the mark a bit as we'd have been out if Given hadn't saved our bacon at home & away to Iran.

Bonner vs England in Stuttgart was an amazing individual performance, but overall Given has been the better keeper for us.

Brady against Bulgaria was special too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    No-one has mentioned Terry Phelan yet, either...
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Interesting that no one has mentioned Ray Houghton, one of the most influential players of the Charlton era. An absolute dynamo. Was in decline by USA 94 (even though he scored against Italy) but one of my all time greats.

The rest (Giles, Brady, McGrath, Roy Keane) speak for themselves but honourable mentions also for Robbie Keane (our leading scorer), Kevin Moran, Shay Given and Andy T.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Interesting that no one has mentioned Ray Houghton, one of the most influential players of the Charlton era. An absolute dynamo. Was in decline by USA 94 (even though he scored against Italy) but one of my all time greats.

The rest (Giles, Brady, McGrath, Roy Keane) speak for themselves but honourable mentions also for Robbie Keane (our leading scorer), Kevin Moran, Shay Given and Andy T.
    Houghton and Townsend rarely had poor games and usually had a major influence and presence throughout the match.

The nature of their game demanded that they Imposed themselves, they were full of intelligent running and never hid or slept through games. I remember during breaks in the play, they'd often encourage or cajole their Irish team mates for more effort.

I always thought that crop of players had a maturity and sense of responsibility during their mid to late twenties that later teams didn't have - with the exception of Roy Keane.

Perhaps part of the reason for this is that the likes of Houghton and Townsend started at small clubs and gradually established themselves at the likes of Oxford (Houghton) and Southampton, Norwich (Townsend). In summary - no egocentricity.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    influence and presence

I always thought that crop of players had a maturity and sense of responsibility during their mid to late twenties that later teams didn't have - with the exception of Roy Keane.

Perhaps part of the reason for this is that the likes of Houghton and Townsend started at small clubs and gradually established themselves at the likes of Oxford (Houghton) and Southampton, Norwich (Townsend). In summary - no egocentricity.
    Agree totally.

I think the squad that Kerr took over lacked what Giles always refers to as moral courage.

I also think soccer is going a bit like rugby union in that the physical & athletic qualities of today's teams are a step above those of the last generation.

At no point was Andy Townsend ever physically dominated, nor was Keane. Kevin Kilbane is one of our few outfield players with the physique required in a modern footballer, but he lacks the talent.

Steven Reid has the physique & a good degree of talent but not the confidence or intelligence. O'Shea has the physique but has no presence. Plenty of our players have talent but not the stature.

I think part of the problem is that some of these guys were so immersed in the Premiership star culture that they have lost touch. I get the feeling that they are now realising they adulation they receive at their clubs is no longer received automatically at home. It's encouraging that the likes of McShane and O'Dea are showing the leadership & moral attributes of a Kevin Moran and that many of our other prospects like Keogh, Murphy and Potter have had to do it the (relatively) hard way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

agreed on houghton...saw his debut for ireland and thought he was great. Robbie Keane no feckin way near best Irish player. I would say Keane was the best Irish player I have seen. his performances against Portugal and holland at home were amazing but he had been putting in great performances as far back as the wc 94. Never saw Brady in his prime so cant say. never saw giles AFAIR. Given has had some amazing games for Ireland but no way can he claim to have had the same influence as Keane for the 2002 qualifiers.
    If anything Kiely was as good a goalie as given at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    No-one has mentioned Terry Phelan yet, either...
    Or Phil Babb for that matter....made McGrath look great in '94...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Keane! No doubts bout it
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Given has had some amazing games for Ireland but no way can he claim to have had the same influence as Keane for the 2002 qualifiers.
    If anything Kiely was as good a goalie as given at the time.
    True to an extent, especially when Given wasn't even our number one at the start of that campaign, but all of Keane's good work would have counted for nowt if it wasn't for Given against Iran.

If we didn't have Given I've no doubt Kiely would have been one of our best keepers ever, but he was unlucky. As you say "at the time" there was little between them but Given just keeps improving in my opinion. We missed him badly in the matches subsequent to the German game and he kept us in it with really good saves against both wales & Slovakia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast