Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Irish international you have seen play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I respect Kilbane for the caps he's amassed and the effort he's consistently shown... But I do regret the fact that Damien Duff was always shoved out of position to accomodate him - and that his many appearances in central midfield kept Steven Reid from settling in that position. Reid is our best central midfielder (when fit) and it's a travesty that, at 26, he's never played a competitive game in the position.

The only game Kilbane hasn't started for us in the last few years was the 3-0 win over Sweden, when Duff and Reid both played brilliantly in their proper positions. Kilbane doesn't deserve derision or contempt, but I think his continued presence in midfield is holding back the team. He can't pass the ball or read the game. He should be dropped. Enough is enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I agree with a lot of what you say there about Kilbane but it appears Duff's great days are well behind him and Steven Reid is crocked so you cant really blame him for that.

I would still have Duff ahead of him on the left (when fit) but its the same old story-who is better in center mid than him at the moment? Andy Reid is constantly injured and gets pushed off the ball very easily. Kavangh is gone, Holland is gone, Carlsely hasnt done much since he came back-remember how negative he was against san marino away?

In this campaign Kilbane has scored against the czechs, vital away goal against SM when we never looked like scoring, and also put in 2 pin point crosses for 2 goals against SM at home. Cant comment on Germany or Cyprus, didnt see them at all as i was on d'other side of the world.

So who should be CM for our next qualifiyer?
    I

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Since he died from cancer at the age of only 28, I am loathe to mention Austin Hayes (the one cap wonder).

The worst other performance I saw was by another member of the wild geese whose name eludes me. Played in a friendly as a forward last year I think and made no effort whatsoever. His only cap. Is it Jonathon Macken?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I think Carsley and Steven Reid would be okay. They're not exactly Gattuso and Pirlo, but they would give energy and aggression, and I think they would use the ball and control the game a lot better than Kilbane.

Long term? If Glenn Whelan and Darren Potter can improve and start playing at a higher level, they could be solid options a lá Holland/Kinsella a few years back. I have very high hopes for Darron Gibson and Owen Garvan.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    A half a cap in a friendly shouldn't count towards this crowded hall of fame. otherwise the hall would be overflowing with credible one cap nominations. Those caps were given more in a miraculous hope than merit.

Ashley Grimes came close to consideration, but a stout hearted indiv. performance from him in a draw away to France saves his bacon.

Our Goalkeeper's have for the most part been good but what about Paddy Roche? remembered fondly by Man U's rivals even after 30 years.
    First cap was in the worst ever perf by an Irish team losing 1-6 to Austria. He missed everything and saved nothing.
    Can't remember any bad mistakes after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    talking of goalkeepers....Wayne Henderson/Nick Colgan???
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Not fair on Henderson. Ron Healy springs to mind though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He doesn't spring to my mind, blanked out old bad memory syndrome maybe?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He doesn't spring to my mind, blanked out old bad memory syndrome maybe?
    Was he a keeper?. The ability to spring is a definite plus for a keeper......
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Wasn't he the bloke who Kevin Keegan chipped in the early 80s? We lost 2-0 at Wembley.

I think it was a real case of having absolutely no back up at all so they called up Cardiff's keeper to sit on the bench and then Kearns, McDonagh or Bonner or whoever was playing went off injured [Edit: actually it was Gerry Peyton]. God, my memory is going now too but thank God for patmac.

http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/m...ils.php?id=179
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 31/07/2007 at 3:34 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Wasn't he the bloke who Kevin Keegan chipped in the early 80s? We lost 2-0 at Wembley.]
    That goal is immortalised on BBC's 101 Great Goals
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I was at that game, it was well worth supressing.
    I'll need some of that psychiatric help now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I was at that game as well. Fran O'Brien was drafted in by Giles. He had a nightmare game.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Don't watch many Ireland games do you? Kilbane rarely lets the team down and has made telling contributions in many of those 70 caps including some vital performances in this campaign already.

Worst Irish international? pull the other one.
    think you are the one not looking at the game, all kilbane does is run and run and run and then losese the ball

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The worst other performance I saw was by another member of the wild geese whose name eludes me. Played in a friendly as a forward last year I think and made no effort whatsoever. His only cap. Is it Jonathon Macken?
    Yeah, Jon Macken. Played in the 1-1 draw against Bulgaria. Don't recall a single contribution from him, to be honest.

Amazed (though I probably shouldn't be) the number of people who rate players with little flair but a huge engine among the worst players ever. Kilbane, McGoldrick, Morris? Give me a break...

Surprised no Bohs fan has been on to nominate Gareth Farrelly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    A new slant on this. Put together the worst players in a team:

Ron Healey

John O'Shea
    Paul Butler
    Pierce O'Leary (or Barry Murphy)
    Fran O'Brien

Gary Howlett
    Austin Hayes (RIP)
    Billy Newman

Mickey Evans
    Glen Crowe
    Cathal Muckian
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Alfie Hale on the subs bench along with O'Keefe. O'Keefe was completely unencumbered by talent. When I saw him play at Dalyer in a friendly against Mexico he was beyond bad. Someone in the crowd shouted out that Jimmy Saville had got him into the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Alfie Hale on the subs bench along with O'Keefe. O'Keefe was completely unencumbered by talent. When I saw him play at Dalyer in a friendly against Mexico he was beyond bad. Someone in the crowd shouted out that Jimmy Saville had got him into the team.
    I think there have been far worse than those two, especially Alfie Hale. Alfie got 13 caps, albeit over a long period. Eamonn O'Keefe got 5 caps over a four year period. He was a real football journeyman and his list of clubs is interesting.

I would rate Hale a better player than say Liam Buckley or Alan Campbell. What about Jerome Clarke whose international career involved replacing Johnny Giles for 12 minutes.

In the 70's and early 80's there some very ordinary players were selected for Ireland. Many only got one shot and good luck to them.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    I think there have been far worse than those two, especially Alfie Hale. Alfie got 13 caps, albeit over a long period. Eamonn O'Keefe got 5 caps over a four year period. He was a real football journeyman and his list of clubs is interesting.

I would rate Hale a better player than say Liam Buckley or Alan Campbell. What about Jerome Clarke whose international career involved replacing Johnny Giles for 12 minutes.

In the 70's and early 80's there some very ordinary players were selected for Ireland. Many only got one shot and good luck to them.
    Eamon O'Keefe was involved in a very long and drawn out appeal to establish his eligibilty which if i remember correctly, took years. When he started this he was a top flight player with Everton and when he finally won the case he was playing in the lower divisions and approaching veteren status. I always thought Eoin Hand felt some sense of obligation to give him a few caps after all that. I seem to remember he was also included as an overage player for an under 21 tour

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    To get onto the worst team a cap should have played a full game.
    Preference should go to the worst who played a competitive game.

There's a list of LOI players capped in friendlies who have not been mentioned yet, Synan Braddish, Tommy McConville, Miah Dennehy,
    even Mick Smith got a cap. It's a selection nightmare
    There was some sort of a selection policy for friendlies that depended on whoose turn it was to be rewarded.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast