Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

IRELAND v ENGLAND

Who do people think will win the match on Sunday? Even people who hate mud-eaters and egg chasers will have some kind of interest in this one.

It's going to be huge. Ireland to win by 3pts.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
    Ireland to win by 3pts.
    ????
    Are the Sassenach fielding an international GAA team now??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by oddboy
    ????
    Are the Sassenach fielding an international GAA team now??
    Oddboy, leave the sarcasm/ignorance (not much difference in your case) out of it for once.
    I agree with Real ale Madrid, this one is going to be HUGE. With all 15 up for it, Big Vic at #6, a massive performance, and just a little luck I can see Ireland doing it. Probably by not much more than 1 point, though. Wouldn't that do just fine, says you?
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Badweather Fan
    Are England odds on?
    Not that wised up but from what i can gather its gonna be a heart-wrenching humiliation,ya?
    Thats why i'm not gonna get too excited about it.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    We would've had an outside chance had O'Sullivan biten the bullet and brought in O'Gara for Humphreys..... Now I reckon England by 20 points....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Badweather Fan
    Are England odds on?
    Not that wised up but from what i can gather its gonna be a heart-wrenching humiliation,ya?
    England ARE odds on, like they have been to do the last 7 Grand Slams, yet, 1995 is the last year they actually won the GS. Yes, they may be near invincible at home, but, they are vulnerable away. Plus, at the end of the day, it's 15 men v's 15 men. History calls, Ireland to win.
    Macy, I'd love to know what it is you're smoking. There's nothing like a 20 point gap between the two teams. England have miserably failed to impress this season, so, there are no grounds for making such a ridiculously sweeping statement.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Conor74
    Dunno about history SEJ. Now the War of Independence, THAT was history. The Gulf War WILL be history. But a rugby match will be, at best, "sporting history", maybe just "rugby history", and probably just "rugby union history in Ireland 2002-2005".
    Except Ireland haven't won the Slam since 1948, and this just happens to be our best chance since. That kind of gives you an idea of the magnitude of this particular achievement should Ireland win on Sunday.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Hope I'm wrong, but England are coming back to form, whilst I struggle to see how Ireland can turn around a poor Championship performance, even in Lansdowne.... As we have all championship, I think we'll struggle to get the backs moving with Humphreys at out half, whilst with Dawson back, and Wilkinson being the ever reliable tw@t that he is, I can see England walking it..... Maybe I exaggerated the difference, but I think there will be more than two scores in the difference.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by Shed End John
    Oddboy, leave the sarcasm/ignorance (not much difference in your case) out of it for once.
    You are such a little assh*le...
    Your rude, humourless boorishness certainly sums up the image of the average rugger bugger..
    Last edited by patsh; 27/03/2003 at 10:59 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by oddboy
    You are such a little assh*le...
    Your rude, humourless boorishness certainly sums up the image of the average rugger bugger..
    Thanks very much, oddboy. Never knew you held me in such high regard. I might just have to put you on my Christmas card list now.
    Conor, I agree that the Brits are favourites by right. On the other hand, Landsdowne Road is the last place England or anyone would like to go to looking for a result. Ireland have shown themselves to be just as capable of grinding out a result this season. This game certainly won't be pretty, but, I can see us nicking it and so much the better if we actually do.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    This will quite simply be the biggest rugby game in Ireland ever and I can't wait. Macy is right, the selection of Humphries could put us at a disadvantage as he has less ability to get the backs moving. Having said that, the management will presumably have the cop on not to kick the ball to England so it may not be such a huge problem. O'Gara should have started though.

Victor Costello will be a vital player as the best way to counteract England's defensive system is to get them moving backwards so they can't be on top of our runners when the ball is moved. His runs of the base of the scrum/ruck should tie in their defenders and give B O'D and co. some room out wide.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

I agree that the Brits are favourites
    I'm sure Humphreys and Longwell will be delighted to hear that! It's England we're playing, not Britain.... (and before anyone starts I know that the North isn't Britain, but it'd kinda ruin getting at SEJ )

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by Macy
    I'm sure Humphreys and Longwell will be delighted to hear that! It's England we're playing, not Britain.... (and before anyone starts I know that the North isn't Britain, but it'd kinda ruin getting at SEJ )
    Im sure Humphreys considers himself British, Paddy Johns wrote in his book about how he found it hard to bare that Irish Rugby fans in general we very reluctant to accept that some players from Ulster consider thenselves British as well as Irish.

I'd say England will win it, IMO Humphreys kicks far too much ball that he could pass to our backs, people like Murphy and O'Driscoll trive on the kinda passes O'Gara throws out to them.

We are too weak in the front row and Justin Bishop isnt up to much, I hope the Landsdowne Road factor will lift them but I dont think it will be enough.
    Oh no not them again

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by Macy
    Point taken, Macy but, to be honest, I've NEVER used the term Brits and meant anything other than the English. Not that I've anything against them, Hell I have English relatives, it's just that like any red-blooded Irishman, when England come to town.......it's WAR!!
    SÓCcfc, since when could a front row of John Hayes, Emmet Byrne and Marcus Horan possibly be considered too weak for international level??
    Last edited by Shed End John; 27/03/2003 at 2:10 PM.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

since when could a front row of John Hayes, Emmet Byrne and Marcus Horan possibly be considered too weak for international level??
    3 props on Sunday is it?!

The front row were under a lot of pressure against Wales. Although England probably won't be as strong, Corrigan will still be a loss.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

SÓCcfc, since when could a front row of John Hayes, Emmet Byrne and Marcus Horan possibly be considered too weak for international level??

Horan is not built like a prop should be, he's very unexperienced at international level and get penalised a fair bit in the scrum.

SHANE Byrne is just a Blackrock boy who let a mullet get in the way of a rugby career, in the past he's had serious trouble finding his man in the line-out but he seems to have sorted it for now.

Hayes, classy player, no complaints there. I'd be more confident if we have Corrigan and Woody, lets put it that way.
    Oh no not them again

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by SÓCcfc
    Horan is not built like a prop should be, he's very unexperienced at international level and get penalised a fair bit in the scrum.

SHANE Byrne is just a Blackrock boy who let a mullet get in the way of a rugby career, in the past he's had serious trouble finding his man in the line-out but he seems to have sorted it for now.
    I have absolutely NO reservations about Horan at all. He's more than good enough, and in the Munster/Gloucester match at Thomond Park, he totally dominated Phil Vickery, despite at 16 1/2 stone giving away 3 stone to Vickery.
    Byrne has been a rock this season. Definitely our most improved. Strong in the scrum, flawless at the line-out, he won't back off against England.
    I've every confidence in Ireland's ability to win this one.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by SÓCcfc
    SHANE Byrne is just a Blackrock boy who let a mullet get in the way of a rugby career, in the past he's had serious trouble finding his man in the line-out but he seems to have sorted it for now ... I'd be more confident if we have Corrigan and Woody
    I think Shane Byrne is a more than adequate replacement for Wood. His line out throwing is much more reliable than Wood's and Costello does the open field work as well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IRELAND v ENGLAND

Originally posted by Schumi
    I think Shane Byrne is a more than adequate replacement for Wood. His line out throwing is much more reliable than Wood's
    Definitely wouldn't agree with you there, Schumi. There's no doubt that he is a good replacement for Wood, but, I think it's time we stopped thinking of Byrne in those terms. IMO, due to accumulation of injuries, we'll never see Keith Wood in an Irish jersey again.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    tbh I sometimes thought that Wood tried to do too much, and we've had one of our best ever runs without him in the team.... Shane Byrne is more than an adequate replacement, and essentially does the hookers job as well as Wood....
    There's been very little talk of us missing Wood by any commentator/ opposition during the championship, which shows the level that Byrne has been playing at....
    Keith Wood made the decision to play the extra games for more bucks in England, his fitness has been the cost for that...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast