Thread: Thompson to Plymouth Argyle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thompson to Plymouth Argyle

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...cle2780106.ece

This would be a huge loss to Linfield, but if they come in with a sufficient offer, I wouldn't stand in his way. Great player, scores plenty of goals.

I think Thompson can do so much better than playing football on this island.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    great move for him if it's on. Could do well in the championship.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Show us the money. 32 million from the IFA and £250K + inc. conditions for Thompson.
    Linfield Football Club - Hatchets & Hammers - You Can Only Envy Us

A Blue 52

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...cle2780106.ece

This would be a huge loss to Linfield, but if they come in with a sufficient offer, I wouldn't stand in his way. Great player, scores plenty of goals.

I think Thompson can do so much better than playing football on this island
    Why are you always so negative about football here?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I don't know Gustavo, I've noticed that about IL posters too, they seem to have a bizarre, unquestioning reverence towards football in Great Britain and a deeply ingrained inferiority complex.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Why are you always so negative about football here?
    It's not being negative, it's a reality that their is a far higher standard being played on the mainland.

Let's look the differences between mainland football and Irish football on this island.

1)TrainingFacilities on the mainland are by and large a different world to Irish football

2) Football stadia on the mainland is by and large a different world to Irish football

3) The crowds on the mainland is a complete different ball game

4) The exposure of football on the mainland is far superior and is given precendent over any other sport.

5) The standard is by far and away better than this island

6) The money on the mainland is by far and away better

7) The prospects of international football for Northern Ireland and the ROI players is far greater on the mainland than in the Irish League or LOI.

8) Far greater opportunities for the individuals to earn money if they make it.(through sponsorship etc)

The only thing Irish football has to offer these lads is a stepping stone to greater things. Or if they are not good enough to progress to greater things, Irish football can offer a decent wage and some success at local level.

Tell me why any Irish League or LOI player should stick with Irish football if an opportunity of a decent club on the mainland goes in for them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It's not being negative, it's a reality that their is a far higher standard being played on the mainland.

Let's look the differences between mainland football and Irish football on this island.

1)TrainingFacilities on the mainland are by and large a different world to Irish football

2) Football stadia on the mainland is by and large a different world to Irish football

4) The exposure of football on the mainland is far superior and is given precendent over any other sport.

7) The prospects of international football for Northern Ireland and the ROI players is far greater on the mainland than in the Irish League or LOI.

8) Far greater opportunities for the individuals to earn money if they make it.(through sponsorship etc)

The only thing Irish football has to offer these lads is a stepping stone to greater things. Or if they are not good enough to progress to greater things, Irish football can offer a decent wage and some success at local level.

Tell me why any Irish League or LOI player should stick with Irish football if an opportunity of a decent club on the mainland goes in for them?
    Love and passion for their local club would be the only one.

A Blue 52

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemerz View Post
    Love and passion for their local club would be the only one.
    I think the days of Noel Bailie type players is a thing of the past.

I wouldn't however begrudge anyone a move to English football and I wouldn't think any less of their love and passion for the local game. It his a living afterall. They can come back and support the local game afterwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    mainland.
    mainland football

mainland

mainland

mainland

mainland

mainland

mainland

mainland
    WUM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    WUM.
    What are you on about?

The mainland teminology is used on a daily basis.

But it does say a lot about you, that I make 8 valid points and all you can pick on is my terminology of mainland Britain. You cannot be that intolerant surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What are you on about?

The mainland teminology is used on a daily basis.

But it does say a lot about you, that I make 8 valid points and all you can pick on is my terminology of mainland Britain. You cannot be that intolerant surely?
    your points may be valid for the IFA league or for the eircom first division. the championship is not "far and away" better than the premier division in any sense. better, as a whole, i'll give it that.

the mainland, unsurprisingly, is mainland europe. maybe certain linfield supporters like to afford britain continent status, or reduce ireland to the isle of man's size, but calling britain the mainland from ireland is like corsicans calling sardinia the mainland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    your points may be valid for the IFA league or for the eircom first division. the championship is not "far and away" better than the premier division in any sense. better, as a whole, i'll give it that.

the mainland, unsurprisingly, is mainland europe. maybe certain linfield supporters like to afford britain continent status, or reduce ireland to the isle of man's size, but calling britain the mainland from ireland is like corsicans calling sardinia the mainland
    I'm just going to ignore your last paragraph. I've no real time for pettyness over terminology. It's just stupid.

And as for your first paragraph, I'll answer that tomorrow when i should stop laughing my ass off at such rubbish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    If it was far and away better then none of our players would ever have been able to move from our league to that league and get anywhere near a squad never mind a team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    If it was far and away better then none of our players would ever have been able to move from our league to that league and get anywhere near a squad never mind a team.
    You mean the very best players?

You don't judge yourself as being a certain standard because of a few players. Would their be enough players currently in the Championship/Premier League that has came from the LOI to form a squad of 20 players?

You judge the standard by results. League 1 at best for any team on this island. I think 3 or 4 teams on this island would sit comfortably in mid table league 1. The rest would be sprinkled among the lower leagues.

This isn't about knocking Irish football. It is about being realistic about things. Believing all the hype is a very dangerous thing to do.

But i'm not going to argue with you. You have your opinion, which I disagree with, i have mine which you are disagreeing with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Disappointed that Thompson is possibly going to Plymouth. Would have liked to seen him play in the LOI.

Just on a general note, the Irish League is improving and maybe the LOI clubs should start looking for new blood there. It'd be great if the Irish League could be developed into a feeder league for the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Disappointed that Thompson is possibly going to Plymouth. Would have liked to seen him play in the LOI.

Just on a general note, the Irish League is improving and maybe the LOI clubs should start looking for new blood there. It'd be great if the Irish League could be developed into a feeder league for the LOI.
    Never going to happen in our life time. May never happen. Believe it or not our Leagues are not that far apart. Eircom League is better though no doubting that.

A Blue 52

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Question

Think of it this way. If you put all the Eircom League teams in the Championship how would they fare?

I'd imagine most if not all would be doing extremely well to stay up, considering even top Eircom League players do not always succeed in the Championship, eg Jason Byrne. Put a top Championship player in the Eircom League, on the other hand, and he'll run the show. Even players who haven't managed to make the grade in League One can still go back to Ireland and get a contract. Case in point-Gareth Farrelly, rejected by Blackpool (?)

Another point-OK, maybe you can't read too much into this, since it's a friendly, but UCD just drew 1-1 with Stockport. UCD are halfway into their season, Stockport are on their first pre-season match. Stockport are a good League Two side and will probably be in the promotion shake-up next year but are nowhere near Championship standard. UCD on the other hand are a fairly typical mid-table side in Ireland.

Another friendly result from last night-Bray 0 Wolves 4.

Make what you will of the above facts.
    Last edited by Cymro; 19/07/2007 at 2:01 PM.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    On the subject of relative standards of the two Leagues in Ireland vis-a-vis the Championship etc, I'm with Steve Bruce all they way.

You only need to look at three aspects to "prove" this, imo.

First, London alone has twice the population of Ireland, but only a third of the number of "senior" clubs. It would be surprising if the second tier of London clubs (i.e. the Championship) were not some way ahead of even the best of Irish clubs, standard-wise. And that's before you even get to non-London clubs, like Wolves, Southampton, the two Sheffields etc, drawing from a talent-pool seven or eight times that of Ireland's.

Second, Championship Clubs are all full-time and pay considerably higher wages than Eircom or Carnegie clubs. If the average Eircom/Carnegie player was good enough to cut it in the Championship, there would be many more travelling over to play in England - if only for a few years, whilst they made their pile. After all, there are any number of players from European countries with stronger Leagues than either in Ireland, who think it worthwhile to move to England.

Finally, there is the "Does she have a sister?" factor! English clubs are desperate to find low-cost, high-quality talent from any source. If it is available from close to home, so much the better. Therefore, when they see the success of individuals like Kevin Doyle, you can be pretty sure they're spending ever more time to find the next Doyle; the fact that relatively few have followed, and hardly any to his level of success, indicates to me that he is (sadly) the exception that proves the Rule, namely, that the average Eircom or Carnegie player (esp) simply could not "cut it" at Championship Level.

(Phew! All that and not one single reference to "the mainland", even though I live on it )

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I bumped into Holloway and another PAFC Official after the game last night - the Official said they were over to look at one of the Swedish players.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't know Belfast was an island

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast