Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: City Vs Pats LIVE on TV3

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Colm
    The biggest game in the FA cup quater finals was Arsenal v Chelsea, guess what time twas on at... 5pm Saturday evening. There are numerous occasiions this season when Sky or BBC have shown games live at 5pm on Saturday, so get your facts straight.
    Hate to say you're wrong again, but, you are. You're talking an FA Cup match in a country that has a tradition of playing alot of cup matches at that time. Saturday games are anything but tradition here, and are a major annoyance. We'll probably get a big crowd regardless, but, it sure as Hell isn't the same as Friday under lights.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah city have a huge tradition of playing on friday nights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    keep on topic lads or i'm moving the chit into the chit forum in off-topics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Shed End John
    You're talking an FA Cup match in a country that has a tradition of playing alot of cup matches at that time.
    Yes, I was taking you up on the point you made about how this would never happen in England and just pointing out that in England games are moved to facilitate TV every single week. You're contradicting yourself again SEJ!

saturday games are anything but tradition here
    Right you want to talk about tradition. Are you trying to say that we have a tradition of playing games on Friday nights, well that's a really long standing tradition isnt it? yeah a tradition stretching back a whole 8 and a half months!
    Traditionally City have played on Sunday afternoons, would you rather we reverted to that?
    Champions!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It shouldnt affect the crowd badly at all. In fact i think it would be a great idea if TV3 showed all their live games at 5 on a Saturday. Just like Sky have Super Sunday, we will have Super Saturday.

I just hope it isnt their only trip to Cork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    First of all, I DON'T talk rubbish,
    I know ... you cant see the rubbish with all the chit you talk !!!

Chill ..... i am winding .... dont explode, it just gets messy
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

hayser
    please stop using the word "footie" , makes me cringe and think of that **** soccer am show on sky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Originally posted by hayser
    please stop using the word "footie" , makes me cringe and think of that **** soccer am show on sky
    I like Soccer a.m.

Can't wait for the Saturday kick off. It's going to be a great occasion. There is something fantastic about the start of the season. Everyone is on a level playing field. It will take at least a few games or even months before our dreams start to become mere whimsical fantasies and our hopes savagely crushed

I think the Sat time will give all eL fans a chance to watch the game and I doubt it will affect the crowd too much.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by hayser
    Far better than calling football "soccer".....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Good point re potential audiences being at other games on a friday. Maybe the thing to do would be to agree on a set time for ALL live matches, e.g. Saturday at 5 so as not to clash with other games-good thing about that time is it's accessibility to away fans.

Badweather Fan
    why €10,000 or €20,000?
    Surely if theres to be compo, it'll be ;
    No. of places left in the ground x Entry price.

Neil
    soccercentral.ie has a bit about the Live game....

“The Cork City & St Patrick’s Athletic game will be heavily marketed locally as an integral part of this campaign. We in the League are pleased with the co-operation of both clubs to ensure the live transmission of this fixture.”

Commenting on the decision to broadcast the game live Cork City Chairman, Brian Lennox said: "Through agreeing to the broadcasting of our opening game live we are pleased to be playing such a significant part in the aggressive marketing campaign that will launch the inaugural Summer League campaign."

"We recognize that the switch from Friday night football will not please all of our fans but I believe that they would want us to act in the wider interests of the game in Ireland. This promises to be a truly special occasion at Turners Cross and I call on the people of Cork to get behind the Rebel Army,” he added.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [COLOR=crimson]It even made the Breaking News on the Irish Times site !!
    Dolan has got more publicity in a month than City has had since the club was founded !!
    [/COLOR]

Dolan's Leeside debut to be screened live
    By Paul O'Hehir Last updated: 26-03-03, 19:59

The opening weekend of the upcoming eircom League season received a significant boost today with confirmation that the Cork City v St. Patrick's Athletic clash is to be televised live.

The Turners Cross tussle, which sees new Cork manager Pat Dolan up against his former charges, will be screened by TV3 on Saturday, April 12th. The game will kick-off at 5 p.m.

Cork chairman Brian Lennox said he was pleased the club was "playing such a significant part in the aggressive marketing campaign" underway to flag the season's start.

He admitted the switch from Friday night football would "not please all of our fans" but said they would understand the decision taken for the "wider interests of the game in Ireland."

Meanwhile, Shelbourne continued their pre-season preparations with a 1-1 draw against Norwegian outfit Lyn Oslo at their training camp in Marbella, Spain today.

Striker Jason Byrne - a January signing from relegated Bray Wanderers - notched up another close season strike after 41 minutes but the Norwegians pinched an equaliser with just minutes to play.

Pat Fenlon's side open their league account with a tricky trip to the RSC to tackle Premier Division new boys Waterford United.

hayser
    Originally posted by Macy
    Far better than calling football "soccer".....
    Are you talking about gaelic football

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Colm
    Traditionally City have played on Sunday afternoons, would you rather we reverted to that?
    Sundays usen't be that bad at all. In fact, I bloody well loved having the games on a Sunday. What a great way Sunday afternoon soccer used to be to kill off that most boring of days. Fridays are in the blood now, though. There's a very intimidating quality to the X under lights that will be lost during the day. All I'm saying is that I hope there aren't too many swithes to Saturdays. One thing it won't do, however, is diminish my enthusiasm for the opening match of the season. I've always loved it and I'm sick s**t of waiting for this one. City to beat the Saints.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

thecorner
    anybody know if the game is going to be all ticket

Neil

All-ticket

I think so.
    I also read somewhere that Pats will be given 1,000 tickets.

Are the away fans still going to be housed in the DF Stand does anyone know?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: All-ticket

Originally posted by Neil

Are the away fans still going to be housed in the DF Stand does anyone know?
    there, and the first bank of st. anne's is the plan afaik

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Re: Re: All-ticket

Originally posted by joe
    the first bank of st. anne's
    The gravel beside it is too good for them !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There's a very intimidating quality to the X under lights that will be lost during the day. All I'm saying is that I hope there aren't too many swithes to Saturdays.
    But with Summer Football most of the Friday night games will not be under lights anyway.... I do agree that there is a better atmosphere everywhere under lights, but with a summer season the whole league is going to have to get used to that.... Mind you Derry and Dundalk will probably switch to midnight on a Wednesday or something, just for that effect...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast