Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Clubs!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

New Clubs!!

What are your views on the progress of the EL new clubs Wexford Youths and Limerick37?
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally i think the whole idea of Wexford Youths is a disaster. It's one man's club and when the one man is fed up then it's club over, i just don't agree with that all.
    Limerick 37 on the other hand i think have made a very good impression and I like the idea behind them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I don't really consider L37 a new club though. It's just like a take over of an existing club. Do L37 claim the honours of previous senior clubs from Limerick?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    http://www.limerick37fc.ie/history.html

It looks like they do. This article doesn't even refer to L37...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I don't really consider L37 a new club though. It's just like a take over of an existing club. Do L37 claim the honours of previous senior clubs from Limerick?
    Its a problem that Limerick and Waterford teams have. The current Waterford United are a separate club completely than thegreat waterford side of the 60s but no one in Waterford thinks that, and their list of honours contain all those trophies.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    There are good arguments for and against claiming the honours of previous clubs though. AFC Wimbledon for example, who would deny them the right to claim the honours of the original crazy gang though they are in reality a seperate club? I don't mind Limerick and Waterford using this right as there was no overlap in clubs from these places existing in the league unlike teams from Cork for example.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    You're right we don't see it as a problem Dodge, though I suppose I would say that. When Waterford FC changed to Waterford United it was just a name change (for various reasons, but presumably substantially for financial benefit), the behind-the-scenes people and playing staff, and all the trappings of the old club went with the new name. There's no question that it wasn't the same club.
    Limerick 37 seem to have made more radical changes, mainly in order to rid themselves of one individual it seems like, but have a good case for carrying forward past honours too IMO, as there wasn't any time between clubs when there was no senior football in the city, and especially as there was a fairly hefty transfer of personnel from one entity to the other, which is the most important thing for me.
    At its core a club is really just the people involved after all.
    Last edited by stann; 09/07/2007 at 9:03 AM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    At its core a club is really just the people involved after all.
    Most of the clubs have folded due to infighting. Look at clubs like Pats or Rovers that have multiple owners, holding companies but the club remained the same.

Just think its a bit cheeky for a club to fold, then set up a new one and take the old one's history and acheivements.
    ---

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Just think its a bit cheeky for a club to fold, then set up a new one and take the old one's history and acheivements.
    Cheeky in a bad way or cheeky in a lovable scamp way?
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Depends on my humour, or more specifically whther they've beaten Pats the previous week
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    South East FC aiming for Eircom league spot
    In August this year the South East Academy will take another leap forward, as part of their continued development of elite players in the south east region, when their recently formed club ‘South East FC’ will affiliate to the LFA and FAI through the Carlow and District Football League. South East FC will then compete in the FAI Youth Challenge Cup, FAI u17 Challenge Cup, LFA Youths Cup and will contest challenge games regularly with some of the leading teams in the country throughout the season. The club intend to be based at Bunclody FC, which is also the FAI Regional Development Centre. Bunclody FC have recently installed International class facilities, including three International class grass pitches, an indoor 3G Astro Turf pitch and superb clubhouse facilities on its 16 acre site and are presently installing a full-size outdoor 3G Astro Turf pitch with flood lights.

South East FC see the coming season as a stepping stone to League of Ireland football, as they hope to compete in the New Under 20 Division of the Eircom League which is due to start in 2008. John Coughlan, Vice-President of the Leinster Football Association and Secretary of the Carlow and District Football League said ”We are delighted to be working with South East FC. It will provide a great opportunity for elite players in the south east to compete at a high level without having to travel long distances, as has been the case in the past. It will also enable these players to receive coaching to an International standard and afford them a real opportunity to play in the Eircom League in 2008”.

Preparations to take the club forward into the Eircom League are already well under way, with management structures and highly qualified coaching staff in place including Pat Purcell who is head coach with the FAI emerging Talent Programme in Carlow and currently working on his UEFA ‘B’ Coaching Licence. Garry Coady holds a UEFA ‘B’ Licence and is an FAI Tutor and FAI regional squad coach while Dutch native Robbert Wagemans is an FAI emerging talent programme coach who holds a Semi-Pro Coaching Licence from the Dutch Football Federation. Seamus Glover who recently completed his UEFA ‘A’ Licence also holds a UEFA ‘B’ Goalkeeping Licence.

Over the last few years, the South East Academy has built up a network of contacts with professional clubs in the UK and Europe. South East FC will maintain these contacts and continue to travel regularly to these clubs in order to provide an opportunity for players to experience different styles of play and coaching methods. During the coming season they will play up to 30 games and will have over 60 coaching sessions.

Pre-season training is now under way in preparation for one of Europe's premier tournaments, the Foyle Cup, in Derry during July and the prestigious Galway Umbro Cup in August. South East FC are currently assembling an impressive squad of players from Carlow, Kilkenny, Kildare & Wexford, with all having played at representative level while the majority have also played in the DDSL Premier division. They currently have a small numbers of places available and are looking for elite players born in 1990 who are serious about playing soccer. Places are limited so if you are interested or would like further information,
    Ciao

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    There are good arguments for and against claiming the honours of previous clubs though. AFC Wimbledon for example, who would deny them the right to claim the honours of the original crazy gang though they are in reality a seperate club? I don't mind Limerick and Waterford using this right as there was no overlap in clubs from these places existing in the league unlike teams from Cork for example.
    I dont think AFC Wimbeldon is able to claim the honours as the original crazy gang wimbeldon has just changed its name to MK Dons.
    I dont mind Limerick & Waterford claiming the previous honours tbh. Personally i think clubs like Harps, Derry, Rovers, etc should all be proud of the fact they have kept their clubs afloat from day 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teckno View Post
    Personally i think the whole idea of Wexford Youths is a disaster. It's one man's club and when the one man is fed up then it's club over, i just don't agree with that all.Limerick 37 on the other hand i think have made a very good impression and I like the idea behind them.
    I dont think wallace would bale on youths tbh. He seems committed and maybe the idea is t form a joint ownership/committee in the years ahead, that if he did leave the club wouldn suffer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Hey TopMan, stop posting the same press blurb everytime. Honestly hope you don't get into the league because of you". And yes I am that petty

*and also because there are already clubs in waterford, Wexford and Kilkenny
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ya most of our fans dont see Limerick37 as a new club either!! Same fans, majority of the same players, just different name!! The whole set-up is way more professinal though and is attracting new fans!! Ya they kind of do ya!! Fans still still claim we won the League in 1960... etc...and that was Limerick United as far as i know, was even before Limerick F.C!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topman View Post
    South East FC aiming for Eircom league spot

Yawn........
    Last edited by Dodge; 09/07/2007 at 1:03 PM. Reason: Don't edit huge passages

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Wexford Youths are an interesting and ambitious addition to the league and seem likely to contribute in the coming years. They will develop good facilities and when they ditch amateurism will probably be a decent D1 club at least. They're getting a harsh baptism this year- but the roots appear to be solid enough.

When I was at Jackman earlier this year I have to say I was impressed by L37. There was an air of progression and ambition around the place that replaced the air of despair that seemed to surround Limerick on previous visits. They're definitely a club going in the right direction and the idea of being closely integrated with local football is a good one if you can make it work and avoid too much infighting.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Havent seen L37 but was really impressed with Wexford Youths both times I have seen them against Shels. On Friday they got the ball down tried to hold possesion and play through us rather then long balls and just depending on strength like some of the other clubs in the league. I think they can only be positive for the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    I dont think AFC Wimbeldon is able to claim the honours as the original crazy gang wimbeldon has just changed its name to MK Dons.
    Apparently the MK Dons chairman has handed over the FA Cup (replica I assume) & all other non & lower league trpohies that the original Wimbledon won to AFC Wimbledon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Apparently the MK Dons chairman has handed over the FA Cup (replica I assume) & all other non & lower league trpohies that the original Wimbledon won to AFC Wimbledon
    thats shockin.......
    Anyways back to LOI whos next for the chop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast