Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to make a website

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How hard is it to make a website

How difficult is it to set up a website for example how long did it take to set this one up ?

Do you need to be a computer wizz kid or can any idiot like me do it ?

I started reading about it and noticed lots about registering and hosting that has a cost associated with it what kind of money are we talking?.

Also any tips or help on where to look would be great thanks

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    for you - impossible.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    How difficult is it to set up a website for example how long did it take to set this one up ?

Do you need to be a computer wizz kid or can any idiot like me do it ?

I started reading about it and noticed lots about registering and hosting that has a cost associated with it what kind of money are we talking?.

Also any tips or help on where to look would be great thanks
    Depends how complicated you want it? You can have your own www.bebo.com site or a yahoo site for free. Other stuff gets complicated where I then bow out.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya it all depends what you want.
    google now have google pages. its pretty basic but pretty good and does the job really. created a gaelic football site off it, as i say its basic but does the job, have a look and see if this is the stuff you are trying to do if then go to google pages and create a page for yourself. www.theshamrocks.co.uk
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    that site looks good, fair play to you POS but you should get someone to keep it up to date.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    cheers rock, to be honest it wasnt hard do had most of it up in a day. adding the reports took a bit longer as i had to write them. I got bored thats why i havent kept it up to date, the lads have another couple of big games coming up at the end of the month ill get busy again!!!

anto google "google pages" for some reason i cant seem to paste at the moment, anyhow you will get what you want there, for basic stuff its a good starting point!!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I set up www.donegaldarts.com I started off with www.geocities.com/southwestdarts as it's free to see if I could build website. I recomend Geocities as it is easy to do, I never did computers at school (in fact I left after 1st year to go working) just a 6 month course in 1999 so if I can set a web site up anyone can!!
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    great website harp and well up to date, nice pic of barney too. That is very detailed though, and in fairness would be very difficult to get up to that starting off.

you have a fair few hits as well.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    this particular site is a software package so wouldnt have taken a whole lot to set up but would've taken years to write. if you use a package, you save a whole lot of hassle but you lose some freedom

it all depends how advanced your site would be. If you're adding news and items only ever so often, you can just type it out and edit it when you feel like, but with a site like this or like amazon where things are added and taken away every second, its much more complex.

Google pages is a great place to start, but getting yourself a "HTML for dummies" book would be a nice investment. its not really all that complex when you figure it out. for instance, when i hit reply, this software will want to put my words into paragraphs - therefore, it will put a little P on either side of it

<p>like this</p>

/ means end of. and so on, for anchors (a), headers (h1), divisions (div) and images (img).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    try out w3schools as a starting point anto if you actually want to learn the "code" you write to create html pages. BUt if you only want to do stuff like gav says then you dont really need to learn html and you can use aan interactive tool like google pages to create the look and feel for you.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    cheers rock, to be honest it wasnt hard do had most of it up in a day. adding the reports took a bit longer as i had to write them. I got bored thats why i havent kept it up to date, the lads have another couple of big games coming up at the end of the month ill get busy again!!!

!
    POS is the team any good then, any sort of structure in the club at all? must be hard to get fellows out these days.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    rock, team is decent enough intermediate standard, about 30 registered players, but only around 20 for most training sessions as fellas are gone off doing whatever every second night. lads over here like their weekends free too so there is only around 18 - 20 for championship matches. The structure is there and in place they have the use of enfield ignatiuns rugby club and the local council rent pitches etc.

carricksmasher on this site was meant to go out training but the lazy ffukker never got round to it i think he was scared
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=carricksmasher on this site was meant to go out training but the lazy ffukker never got round to it i think he was scared [/QUOTE]

do one of the team take training or is that fairly well organised as well

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    not sure if you are being smart there rock, but no they have a trainer who is not a player
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good stuff lads thanks plenty there to get me started ill have a good look over the weekend, now just to think of a website

Think i might look into getting a package to help rather than just setting up a bebo style page thts not quite what im after thats more of a page within a website id want the whole website .

whats the story with names then if some one has a .org site with the same name can you make a .ie one and not get sued ?
    Last edited by anto1208; 06/07/2007 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    yeah theres no hassle unless its like mcdonalds.ie, i own speakout.biz of which there are many .ie/.com/.co.uk varients.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post

whats the story with names then if some one has a .org site with the same name can you make a .ie one and not get sued ?
    They're known as "domains" Anto. I believe I'm right in saying you'll need to be a registered company to obtain a .ie domain. They're also relatively expensive. €85 a year approx.

.com domains are far cheaper but owing to their popularity it can be harder to register one someone hasn't beaten you to. tenner a year approx.

I'm told .eu (european union) are the way to go. They're zooming up the charts in terms of most used but you're still quite likely to be able to register your preferred address (e.g. anto.eu).

On website design, I'm sure every other amatuer out there has an opinion and a tip or two ...so why not me

*keep it simple. Too much stuff that flashes, moves or makes noise is distracting and takes longer for the viewer to load.

*keep your fonts small. It looks more professional and neater ...and avoid using more than three colours!!!

*There is I believe something known as the "three clicks" rule which says it should be possible to get to whatever you're after on a website within three clicks.

This is a simple website I did. The code for all the pages is identical. I just have to alter what goes into the table in the middle. It's very low on content at present but I think it's fairly tidy.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    This is a simple website I did. The code for all the pages is identical. I just have to alter what goes into the table in the middle. It's very low on content at present but I think it's fairly tidy.
    you broke one of your own guidelines!
    *keep it simple. Too much stuff that flashes, moves or makes noise is distracting and takes longer for the viewer to load.
    the scrolling marquee shouldnt be there. its unnecessary because the logo/title should be enough, and moving text is somewhere around #3 in "what annoys people on web pages", behind popups and slow loading time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    lionel you dont have to be a registered company just proof of identification of some sort that says why you should be allowed the address, for example if you wanted to register lionelritchie.ie you would have to proof you have some connection to that name etc....which is a smart and fair way of doing it and stops people just registering domains like that kid in waterford who made a couple of hundred thousand euro doing it.

lionel when you click into the about page you cant click onto any of the other links!

i never knew your name was niall!!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    you broke one of your own guidelines!

the scrolling marquee shouldnt be there. its unnecessary because the logo/title should be enough, and moving text is somewhere around #3 in "what annoys people on web pages", behind popups and slow loading time.
    tchih!!! ...guidlines are those needing guidance. No you're correct of course. If I get time I'll come up with something better ...if indeed anything at all.

lionel when you click into the about page you cant click onto any of the other links!
    Hmmm... they're all working fine on mine... though it could be accessing temp files or whatever. I'll check the code and see if somethings broken. Thanks.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast