Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spurs to play St Pats friendly (live on Setanta 1)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    There was full, delayed coverage (unadvertised) on Setanta Ireland last night from about 9.45. Fairly enjoyable, British comms very patronising though (apparently Pat's made so many subs in order to give everyone a game against the great Tottenham rather than because they have bigger fish to fry next week.)

£16.5m for Darren Bent . Although whatever Pat's are paying Michael Keane looks equally extortionate on the evidence of last night, he'll neeed a couple of months to slim down before he becomes a useful asset. Looked like a poor, fat man's Keith Fahey.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    . Although whatever Pat's are paying Michael Keane looks equally extortionate on the evidence of last night, he'll neeed a couple of months to slim down before he becomes a useful asset. Looked like a poor, fat man's Keith Fahey.
    He's up there with Keith Foy! Shocking size of a head on him too. Did Johnny Mac actually meet this guy before he was signed? No self respecting manager should sign a player so out of condition.

PS Pats, Thanks for giving us money for Dave Rogers. One of the worst defenders I've seen in a Derry shirt.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    In fairness Rogers looks a good player so far.

Keane impressed me tbh. He obviously hasn't trained since the end of the English season but he's lost a decent bit of weight since his debut in Waterford a week ago so I've no doubts he'll get fit. He lasted the pace too (until his part timeness tired him out against the mighty Tottenham Hotspur, still at least he has something to tell the grankids)

paul; probably won't be anything on the Pats site. Its a rights thing
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Agree with Sheridan - I found Setanta's "expert" commentary to be very condescending at times.

However Spurs looked very strong and IMO bossed the game 95% of the time. But in saying that Pats looked defensively comfortable enough in the second half and bar that point-blank save at the end, Spurs didn't really have that many goal scoring chances in the second half.

I thought Mark Quigley showed some nice touches in the first half for Pats. Was Michael Keane the bald-headed chap? If so, I thought he did fine - didn't look out place.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Agree with Sheridan - I found Setanta's "expert" commentary to be very condescending at times.
    Agree. Macari remarked that he thought Pats would fade in the second half. Why would they if they're full time and in the middle of the season?

No marks to the "Irish" who turned up to support an english side over their own and a tricolour with THFC on it.

Showed people viewing from the park near the camac too!

What's the story with the stand? Doesnt look like it will be ready for the European game??

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    It will be ready. It just has to be placed into that space. Doing it on Monday afaik

Total muppet fest there last night but sold out @ inflated prices and the pub packed from 6pm to closing time so happy days
    ---

reder
    Very dull game overall. I would be mightly annoyed if I paid €25 or €35 to watch it. Luckily my tickets were free. Some amount of cockney's over for it. Cant stand them but fair play to them for travelling over for a friendly.

Scoreline was deceptive, Pats offered nothing as an attacking force and were overrun in middle. The badly, stocky guy in midfield for pats (number 8 I think) looks like a good footballer.

PS: that irish flag with THFC on it is at every spurs home game.

Also where were all the pats fans last night? Do you only get a few thousand at home games?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    PS: that irish flag with THFC on it is at every spurs home game.
    Dont care. Still a joke. Hope Pats made a mint from the muppets.

Fair play with the stand.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Very dull game overall. I would be mightly annoyed if I paid €25 or €35 to watch it.
    One of more entertaining friendlies I've seen. Still rubbish comapred to real football though

Some amount of cockney's over for it. Cant stand them but fair play to them for travelling over for a friendly.
    Sound bunch. Got talking to a few. They reckon they should sign Barry Ryan and think they'd get him for "about two million quid".

Scoreline was deceptive, Pats offered nothing as an attacking force
    They scored none, how is that deceptive? Spurs could've had a couple more early on but I think had one chance in the second half

Also where were all the pats fans last night? Do you only get a few thousand at home games?
    Nobody in Ireland gets more than a few thousand at any game. Loads of fans I know didn't bother paying the extra money for a friendly. Even know a few who were away when tickets sold out.

From the reports I'm hearing NY Hoop, we did alright
    ---

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    Dont care. Still a joke. Hope Pats made a mint from the muppets.

Fair play with the stand.

KOH
    I did not hear or see one advertisement for St pat EL games or tickets. There were announcements for ticket sales for the european game but no visible signage towards the point of ticket sales.

Inside of doing a one off rip-off (the tickets were peanuts compared to standard spurs ticket prices) of locals they should have focused on promoting St. pats.

Pats did more than alright but thought 2-0 to spurs would have been a fairer reflection on the game.
    Last edited by reder; 13/07/2007 at 1:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I just got a call at lunch time yesterday to say there was a freebie ticket
    for me if I wanted (my mate is a Spurs fan) so we headed up to the game.
    I was int he stand, near the corner at the Shed End.

Barry Ryan played very well ... apart from the one that went straight
    through him and the defender. He looked fairly tubby in the warm up!
    That was the 1st time I saw him play since the UCD-Athlone Town
    play off a few seasons ago. Very impressed with his performance though.

Thought M Keane done well, definately 1 or 2 snack boxes over the limit
    but he done well (imho)

Bent missed a hat-full of chances and that number 11 ... talk about a
    1 trick pony!

Pats defence were caught badly for the goal.

The look on some of the Spurs fans faces were priceless when the Shed
    started up "Your just a small team from London" and "Sh!t Club Sh!t Fans"

Is Maurice O'Driscoll involved with Pats now? Nearly sure I saw him in a
    Pats tracksuit in the stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I did not hear or see one advertisement for St pat EL
    games or tickets. There were announcements for ticket sales for the european
    game but no visible signage towards the point of ticket sales.
    They announced the Longford match a few times to say it was switched to
    Sunday on account of the Thursday game!

There was also a table set up behind the stand where they were selling the
    tickets for the European game. It was near the chipper and had a sign on it.
    They announced that tickets were on sale from behind the stand!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    O'Driscoll is our u-21 assistant manager. Ouc coaches would make a helluva 5/7-a-side team; Robbie Horgan in Goals, Johnny Mac and Blocker at the back, Liam O'Brien and Oso in the middle and Mick Byrne up front. Wouldn't even need that 7th man

Reder, the Longford game was announced plenty. Vast majoruty didn't want to know. Speaking to aguy who went in wrok he was more than impressed with both Pats and Richmond. Sort of guy who'd go to a game if the weather was nice. Stories on our forum about a spurs fan who went with his son who bought tickets for Sunday as he couldn't believe the high standard we played
    ---

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Stories on our forum about a spurs fan who went with his son who bought tickets for Sunday as he couldn't believe the high standard we played
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...0#post53585010

Not him for sure

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for the bus/luas info. My mate picked me up in the end so was handy enough....once we eventually found the Hilton and avoided crashing into a lady driving out of the car park "entry" point !!! Never seen the likes of it before and she scuffed the side of the car backing back down then

The game wasn't great but I didn't expect it to be although a few goals would've been nice. I've never seen St. Pat's play before but have to admit they looked defensively solid although most of Spurs shots were straight at the keeper who did well particularly with the last minute point blank save. The new boy Gareth Bale seemed to be given some problems by ye, wasn't impressed with him at all.

In relation to some derogatory comments I've seen posted I thought the ground was nice and compact myself with the crowd on top of the pitch as it should be (and the quality of pitch was obviously good). I presume there's no need for massive capacity sure. Its well hidden away and have to admit we enjoyed having so many pubs around it and the cockneys were good craic. Think we went to every pub in the area, some twice and reckon the Black Lion must've got out the slops for the visitors. Its nice to have a ground in the middle of what felt like a village (which I mean in a good way, Wexford Youths myself so in terms of location and stands we'd be well jealous of ye !). We got freebies in the end and were in the flat standing area opposite the shed end. Obviously not best view in the world but didn't let too many people in there maybe those tickets were released late ? 25 euro face value but I know tickets were going outside the ground for 60 euro believe it or not.

That chipper van grub was pretty fcuking manky but again to be expected. Had a good night out anyway in a part of the city I wasn't familiar with and shockingly it was a lovely evening weather wise. BTW The Hilton is indeed very plush and decent value as these things go for 120 euro. Also gave me my banging headache today since I was drinking there till 3.

Good luck with your euro matches lads I'm actually tempted to pop along again.....but to a stand seat
    Last edited by WexDec; 13/07/2007 at 6:37 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    post stolen and quoted to the above gimp

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WexDec View Post
    We got freebies in the end and were in the flat standing area opposite the shed end. Obviously not best view in the world but didn't let too many people in there maybe those tickets were released late ? ... Good luck with your euro matches lads I'm actually tempted to pop along again.....but to a stand seat
    The area you were standing in is designated for our new temporary stand which will be ready for the UEFA Cup games. Those tickets were indeed released late (about one week after the other had sold out)

Glad you enjoyed your evening
    ---

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Posted elsewhere by a Spurs fan who travelled over:

http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com/...hletic-fc.html

Enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some highlights from a Spurs perspective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwgP6bmvESY

reder
    Anybody see the letters in the Metro paper over the past few days about the "supporters" behind the goals who were singing the usual anti-british songs?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast