Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Gaa 2007

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I have already picked Cooper or was it O'Sullivan.
    A MOM AIF performance is worth about 50% (last impressions)
    therefore Cooper gets it, for a skinny underfed looking runt he is a tough fellah.
    There is no competition to Killian Young for the young player award and he is good enough for an All Star.

Apart from that, youthwise, the Minor Championship threw up some great football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I have already picked Cooper or was it O'Sullivan.
    A MOM AIF performance is worth about 50% (last impressions)
    therefore Cooper gets it, for a skinny underfed looking runt he is a tough fellah.
    There is no competition to Killian Young for the young player award and he is good enough for an All Star.

Apart from that, youthwise, the Minor Championship threw up some great football.
    Geysir, you'd be surprised with the all-stars. Kerry played the best football in 20 years the year they got to the final in 2002. They had a bad 15 min spell in the final and as a result they got 2 all-stars.
    The youth championship was quite good and without doubt eclipsed the seniors.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think Brogan is in the running and a favourite but not a lock and wouldn't be stunned if he was omitted. To me a lock is someone who is a near dead cert and a shock if omitted. There's only ever a handful of locks and to give some idea of the standard I'm talking about I'd have Freeman on the borderline for that status, though on the right side of it.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.setantasports.com/en/Spor...ain-locale/gaa

Found this on Setanta. Fairly good 'highlights' of the season.
    I also noticed that they started an EL section, which can only be a good thing. Good website actually, seems to have been totally made over.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Yeah it's a good read of the highlights, though I would have had the nr.4 at nr.1
    His highlight was my grief.

Despite that it was my game of the Championship. The Marc O' Sé full length block on Freeman alone nullifies the Cahill block and there was so much more of the game encapsulated into those 70 minutes.
    An absorbing game rescued for Kerry by the O'Sé trio championship resurrection shuffle.

Although he didn't win anything, Monaghan manager Pat McEneaney would be the connoisseurs choice for manager of the year. Over the past few years he has set in motion a "professional" county set up, has instilled a sense of deep pride, has developed a squad with a blend of hardness, tactical nous, quality play with fast exciting wing forwards.
    This year he had 2 goals, the first was to get out of the doldrums in the League, the second to win the All Ireland. He had every player believing they were good enough and every last one them gave their all.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can only imagine they were not in any order, but who is to know. I though the Dubs arrogance and triumphalism at the end of the Laois match would have been worth a mention. You'd have to call that a lowlight though. and that's from someone with a soft spot for their footballers.

I can only imagine you're a Derry man Geysir, but you have to admit you really wouldn't have deserved the draw against them. Poor old Paddy Bradley muxt have a sore back from carrying ye .

Billy Morgan and the hack is a laugh though. He's a head the ball, but truly passionate about the game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    As a Monaghan man I was just pointing out that that the journo's highlight was Monaghan's devastation.

I didn't have enough time after the last qualifier to book a plane ticket for the QF but I had booked a ticket with confidence for the SF. I really believed that Kerry would not be prepared for what was going to happen in the QF game, that they were going to be bushwhacked, crushed mercilessly into the Croke Park turf and Dublin were next on the menu.
    The journo got it right, even after the Marc O Sé block on Freeman, a late equalising chance fell to Meegan who was only about 20% concious after a boot to the head, the devastation of defeat deadened every tissue and every emotion in my body. The crafty Kerry b@stards escaped from the firing squad. The Monaghan player's demeanour, the post match interviews with Rory Woods and manager McEneaney showed to the country what this game really meant to them what their belief was and nobody nowhere could question their courage or effort.
    It was a highlight, an example to all teams.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Get you now geysir. I must say I thought Monaghan were brilliant. Everything about them oozed class. I bumped into Tommy Freeman the day after the Kerry match (think he was still in Dublin for some award) and the poor guy was devastated. He had this haunted look in his eyes and I felt so sorry for him. He hadn't trained all week after he got an infection in his arm and it was all plastered up.

As that article says, I hope ye will be back to establish a new world order up the north. Armagh will have a period of transition under McDonnell, but young Dyas heading off to Australia is a huge blow to them.

McEnaney must be the most honest, passionate manager in the country and has to be a shoe-in for manager of the year.

best of luck next season and I really hope ye can go all the way! All the way to the final only to get bate by a rejuvinated Cork that is.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627