Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: World Ranking

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Cheers.

So the Faroes are boosted because they won recently?

Is this based on the world rankings? I didn't think they were quite so biased towards recent games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    i live in hope for a new manager and a jack Byrne or Alex o'hanlon to develop and give us something to smile about.
    Wales and Iceland were in Pot 6 (along side San Marino and Andorra) for the WC2014 Qualifiers draw. Wales now are Pot 1 and Iceland are Pot 2. So it is possible to turn things around.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Cheers.

So the Faroes are boosted because they won recently?

Is this based on the world rankings? I didn't think they were quite so biased towards recent games.
    Yep. Based on the FIFA Rankings.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranki...edure/men.html

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/documen...ts_english.pdf

Match average from past 12 months: 100%
    Match average from previous year: 50%
    Match average from year 3: 30%
    Match average from year 4: 20%
    Matches older than 4 years: 0% (deleted)

They have changed the process a few times over the decades. I think the current system they have is most sensitive to recent matches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_W..._system_update

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The Faroes get boosted because of the exaggerated multiplier factor of 3 for a win and they had 2 big ones inside the last 12 months.

There were in a false position(for them) of 187 in the ranking table when they beat highly ranked Greece the first time around and moved up 80 places in the table.
    They got 1300 points for beating Greece on Saturday and move up about another 30 places. Which means they are now in the upper 30's of uefa teams, which puts them in pot 4 of the draw

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    The more I look at the seeding pots, the more I think how FIFA could easily increase the world cup to 40 teams. The standard in Europe and South America is incredibly high. I keep picking out teams for the "dream" draw but I struggle to see how we would do more than draw twice with them. I suppose we are due a big win, but I've been saying that for the last few campaigns.

It's horrible to be so downbeat, but I'd nearly rather we built the team and pack it with young lads with a view to getting to Euro 2020. We may take some awful hammerings from the top teams, but if in 4 years time, we had a team going places, it would be worth it. The type of massive improvement that we all yearn for may take 15-20 years, but I see no reason why we can't rebuild to a decent standard within the next four.

I see absolutely no progress with MON and no system of playing. We mock the North, but they try and play football with a far limited team to us and they play with no fear. We don't really believe that we should be beating average teams like Scotland and Austria, while they fancy their chances against Romania or Greece, let alone the bigger teams.

Building the team with a core of Westwood, Coleman, Wilson, Brady, Hendrick, McCarthy and Long is a start, and I would keep a few spots for the likes of Walters who still has something to offer. I would fill the rest of the squad with the likes of Jack Byrne, Ian Lawlor, Browne, Shane Duffy, Alex O'Hanlon and Sean Kavanagh.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Agree with paragraph 3. Somewhat agree with paragraph 4. I think the main 22-23 players picked are by and large the right ones. The enlarged squads are a bit of two fingers to the next in lines. O'Neill has lived for the now and hasn't cared much about succession planning. I think he has been too hung up on which clubs and in which division players play for. I thought there was a good case to call up Hourihane a year ago, maybe John Egan. Hoban would be another. But O'Neill has been pretty unequivocal that there is nothing coming through.

Wrt tactics etc., I just can't see how Roy Keane is happy with how we approach these games. I wonder is all well at HQ.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/06/2015 at 5:00 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Wrt tactics etc., I just can't see how Roy Keane is happy with how we approach these games. I wonder is all well at HQ.
    I'm not sure - would it be a first for Keane to hold fire, not show much of an inkling, if that was the case?

I wonder if there's a disconnect between what the management wants/sees on the training pitch and what ends up happening in game time. I think MON looks completely forlorn at times, particularly during games, and I've been idly speculating over a serious men-tal-i-tee issue with the players - although I don't really mean it in a Trap way. I mean it more about their bravery to play.

I mean what we needed on Saturday was on big players to turn up. And even if it can vaguely be agreed we had some decent spells, as a team, we only had one decent performer on the ball. We needed Coleman, McCarthy, anyone else to make that happen. The difference in the international game is often just one really good player have a great game. And our top guys don't just fail to get over the line, often they stink the place out too.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Fantasy groups (as based on Davidatrb's posts):

Qualification dreamtime
    Wales
    Bosnia
    Albania
    Us
    Moldova
    San Marino

Living nightmare
    Germany
    France
    Sweden
    Us
    Armenia
    Georgia

Personal choice
    Romania
    Iceland (they're going to have a Euro 2016 hangover and I'm up for Reykjavik)
    Hungary
    Us
    Latvia
    San Marino
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Pot 1: Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, England, Wales, Spain, Italy
    Pot 2: Croatia, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Czech, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia
    Pot 3: Poland, Ukraine, Scotland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, N. Ireland, Serbia, Greece
    Pot 4: Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroes, Montenegro,Estonia
    Pot 5: Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova
    Pot 6: Kazakstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra.

Not much has changed based on last nights results ...

Only two more games before the July Rankings are official. Portugal vs Italy and Greece vs Poland.

Italy need to win to stay in Pot 1 or else they will be replaced by Croatia.

Greece appear to be safe in Pot 3. Portugal are safe in Pot 1 for sure. Poland won't be able to improve on Pot 3 (unless they don't bother playing the friendly at all - or invalidate it by bringing on over 6 subs!)

That's my predictions anyway, I guess we'll find out on July 9th.
    Last edited by davidatrb; 15/06/2015 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Fantasy groups (as based on Davidatrb's posts):

Qualification dreamtime
    Wales
    Bosnia
    Albania
    Us
    Moldova
    San Marino

Living nightmare
    Germany
    France
    Sweden
    Us
    Armenia
    Georgia

Personal choice
    Romania
    Iceland (they're going to have a Euro 2016 hangover and I'm up for Reykjavik)
    Hungary
    Us
    Latvia
    San Marino
    My opinion (based on bookie's ratings)..

Best case
    Wales, Iceland, Albania, Ireland, Moldova, Andorra.

Worst case
    Germany, France, Poland, Ireland, Macedonia, Kazakstan.

The mood I'm in at the moment I wouldn't expect Ireland to qualify from either group.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Agree with paragraph 3. Somewhat agree with paragraph 4. I think the main 22-23 players picked are by and large the right ones. The enlarged squads are a bit of two fingers to the next in lines. O'Neill has lived for the now and hasn't cared much about succession planning. I think he has been too hung up on which clubs and in which division players play for. I thought there was a good case to call up Hourihane a year ago, maybe John Egan. Hoban would be another. But O'Neill has been pretty unequivocal that there is nothing coming through.

I dont know, Id say he is more than happy to accept his nice pay packet for sitting on the bench looking gruff, the big sack of s..........

(sorry Stutts for that)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    EDIT: Damn your edit davidatrb
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    EDIT: Damn your edit davidatrb
    I forgot to delete Slovenia from Pot 3. Just fixed!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    It's mentioned in all sports news reports in Iceland, that not only will "our boys" be in pot 2 for the time, but they will do so just ahead of Denmark.
    Apparently that has almost equal importance and raises many a contented smile.

We could be in pot 6, but if we are just ahead of Denmark, then it's not all bad news.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We could be in pot 6, but if we are just ahead of Denmark, then it's not all bad news.
    They may be playing football with their fancy notions of "passing" and "winning" but they're not so different from Ireland after all.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidatrb View Post

That's my predictions anyway, I guess we'll find out on July 9th.
    Apparently I got my sums right. ESPN have calculated the same pots.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/ire...alifiers/28773

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Portugal beat Italy last night so looks like Italy will be 2nd seeds. There will be some very messy groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Hopefully though, for once, we will get a really handy one that we can make a mess of.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Up eight places to 52nd but confirmed Pot 4 for World Cup Qualifying.

Ireland to be fourth seeds in Russia 2018 qualification draw

UEFA World Cup qualifying pot 1: Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Romania, England, Wales, Portugal, Spain, Croatia/Italy
    UEFA World Cup qualifying pot 2: Croatia/Italy, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina
    UEFA World Cup qualifying pot 3: Poland, Ukraine, Scotland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, N Ireland, Serbia, Greece
    UEFA World Cup qualifying pot 4: Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia
    UEFA World Cup qualifying pot 5: Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova/Kazakhstan
    UEFA World Cup qualifying pot 6: Moldova/Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Thats what 400K per annum gets you.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast