Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Its Grim Up North

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Its Grim Up North

Monaghan United have been handed a great opportunity to upset the apple cart in the FAI Ford Cup when they head to the Brandywell on Friday 15th June. Derry City have been slipping down the league in recent weeks and are a shadow of their former UEFA cup glory hunting team of last season.

In 2006 they did the domestic League and FAI Cup double and were feted in Europe when they annihilated Scottish side Grenta and were narrowly defeated by Paris St Germain. This season, manager problems and dwindling crowds have seen their star fall somewhat and United are ready to kick them when they are down!

The Cup is always an equal opportunity venture and Mick Cooke’s men will relish the chance to knock the “big boys” of the eircom League out of the competition. United have not had much of a season themselves so far but the players are wholeheartedly committed to changing that and many think that Cup will give them the occasion to turn their fortunes around.

Derry City have seen their support drop off after the success of last year has not been followed up and many believe that this may in turn have contributed to their less than dazzling performance so far this season as the Brandywell faithful have long been considered the 12th man. With a less intimidating atmosphere on offer to the Mons, it may just give the Monaghan side the impetus they need.

There will be a fan’s bus to the Brandywell and anyone wishing to travel should contact Martin Kelly 086 8937562

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    A few things. Yes its a great oppertunity for a cup upset. We were a shadow of last season but the past 3 games have indicated we are returing to our good form.

United are ready to kick them when they are down!
    Are you havin a giraffe?

Derry City have seen their support drop off after the success of last year has not been followed up and many believe that this may in turn have contributed to their less than dazzling performance so far this season as the Brandywell faithful have long been considered the 12th man. With a less intimidating atmosphere on offer to the Mons, it may just give the Monaghan side the impetus they need.
    Our support hasnt dropped off that much. I hope the Mons players take us lightly because some team is heading for a thumping at the Brandywell and I have a feeling it will be Monaghan. Your last league visit ended in a 6-1 hammering. We should also have a new manager in place in time for the game on friday so a few of the players will want to show they are worth a plave in the squad.

Enjoy your trip to the Brandywell anyhow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Bring it on!!!

Looking forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    IN OFF THE POST

Monaghan's site for sore eyes
    It's FAI Cup time this weekend and while it's not one of the glamour ties a bit of spice has been injected into the Derry City-Monaghan game by a bizarre missive posted on the latter's website.

The Mons are struggling at the bottom of the First Division so the tone of their reaction to the draw may succeed in winding up a few Brandywell punters.

"This season manager problems and dwindling crowds have seen their (Derry) star fall somewhat and United are ready to kick them when they are down.

"Derry have seen their support drop off after the success (of 2006) and many believe this may in turn have contributed to their less than dazzling performances so far this season."

So it's the fans' fault? Given that a poor Derry home crowd is roughly 10 times the size of a normal turnout for a Monaghan fixture, the tone is somewhat hard to understand.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...st-700838.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    oops!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    haha, at least you can't say you get no coverage anymore!
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atfconline View Post
    haha, at least you can't say you get no coverage anymore!
    lol
    In fairness Magicme, I cringed a bit when I read the article; but as a man once said, there's no such thing as bad publicity!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    But it is true, we will never have a better opportunity to knock the cup holders out than now when they are in disarray. They are having a really bad season (so are we but we are used to that!) and we usually raise our game for the big teams so anything can happen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    But it is true, we will never have a better opportunity to knock the cup holders out than now when they are in disarray. They are having a really bad season (so are we but we are used to that!) and we usually raise our game for the big teams so anything can happen!
    Nothing wrong with the original comments, IMO. Good to stir up a bit of interest. No one expects the Mons website to be neutral and it's not like you copied the "tone" of the Drogheda site's match reports.

Dan McDonnell's remarks sound a bit petty. To be fair, it's been a quiet week on foot.ie with the midsummer break so he has less source material than usual.

Given that a poor Derry home crowd is roughly 10 times the size of a normal turnout for a Monaghan fixture, the tone is somewhat hard to understand.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Poor form by McDonnell IMO

Article was trying to hype up the game and its not like she wrote anything incorrect. Crowds are down, form is poor, and Monaghan will probably never get a better chance to knock Derry out.

If I was you magicme, I'd e-mail him with your rebuttal (no jokes please...)
    Last edited by Dodge; 13/06/2007 at 12:56 PM.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Naw, cant be bothered wasting my precious time. If we at Mons rebutted everything negative said about us my fingers would have fallen off by now from all the typing.

I think maybe he is annoyed that he had to go looking for it himself, I usually hand feed the media everything but this time I decided to go low key with it as its not a press release as such. It was an opinion piece for our local newspapers really.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    I think maybe he is annoyed that he had to go looking for it himself, I usually hand feed the media everything but this time I decided to go low key with it as its not a press release as such. It was an opinion piece for our local newspapers really.
    Or maybe he just doesn't like Mongahan. He is a Dundlak fan afterall!
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atfconline View Post
    Or maybe he just doesn't like Mongahan. He is a Dundlak fan afterall!
    Yeah I know which is funny coz he is actually a nice guy!