Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Brazil v Turkey live on RTE2

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts

Brazil v Turkey live on RTE2

For anyone interested. Just stumbled across it now.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are Setanta showing any Euro 2008 qualifiers this week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    The Poles are on again today. Obviously, Germany-Slovakia doesn't matter.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Turkey vs Brazil live on RTE in a friendly Has the world gone mad? At least they were rewarded with a 0-0. Saw it was on but couldn't be bothered watching. There seems to be a perception that because it is Brazil (and their reserve team at that), people would automatically want to watch it The fame/celebrity factor. I watched a programme on Harold Wilson on Channel 4 or was it BBC2 instead. Much more entertaining.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    The Poles are on again today. Obviously, Germany-Slovakia doesn't matter.
    Setanta have made a decision to buy the rights of the Polish games as they feel they will get the viewers in Ireland for it. They know what they are doing and they are gettting Polish people to wach their station. If they feel they will get lots of viewers by showing Polish games in Ireland, I don't see a problem with that. They could hardly then let the Polish fans down and swtich to Germany Slovakia and not show the Polish games when they have been shown all the other ones previously.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    They could hardly then let the Polish fans down and swtich to Germany Slovakia and not show the Polish games when they have been shown all the other ones previously.
    You're talking a domestic audience of roughly 3 million v an audience of 100,000-odd. No brainer.

It's supposed to be an Irish station, so you give an Irish audience preference. The matches don't even clash ffs.
    Last edited by mypost; 06/06/2007 at 11:47 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You're talking a domestic audience of roughly 3 million v an audience of 100,000-odd. No brainer.

It's supposed to be an Irish station, so you give an Irish audience preference. The matches don't even clash ffs.
    Maybe they dont have the rights to the Germany Slovakia game. Also how many people would watch Germany V Slovakia. Not even every Irish football fan would watch it so obviously Setanta have made a long term commercial decision to show Polish matches. The cost of buying the Germany Slovakia game may have not been worth it considering what they would get to watch it. The Polish package obviously is.
    In Trap we trust

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Turkey vs Brazil live on RTE in a friendly Has the world gone mad? At least they were rewarded with a 0-0.
    What are you moaning about? Do you actually like football? Some of us welcome to opportunity to watch quality international football which isn't the poxy Premiership or Premiership On Tour (as RTÉ's Champions League coverage should be described) or a national team composed of Premiership players.

I'd like to see fixtures a lot more "obscure" than Turkey v. Brazil getting coverage, it's a welcome trend as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone with NTL in Dublin should check out Eurosport on qualifying dates, they had France-Ukraine on Satuday and might be broadcasting another fixture tonight. Fair play to Setanta for covering the Polish games, good thinking on their part.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I suspect Setanta can pick up Poland games for a song & combined with a good advertising package & the fact lots of Poles would be living in cable-land games good business.

You won't see too many advertisers queuing up to buy space for Germany games.

Good to see RTE have taken a leaf out of Setantas book & putting on live sport for the Brazilians & Turks living in Ireland.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    What are you moaning about? Do you actually like football? Some of us welcome to opportunity to watch quality international football which isn't the poxy Premiership or Premiership On Tour (as RTÉ's Champions League coverage should be described) or a national team composed of Premiership players.
    Yeah, I agree (although the game itself wasn't actually up to much). It makes a welcome change frmo always showing the English teams in European competition when there are far better games on.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

I'd like to see fixtures a lot more "obscure" than Turkey v. Brazil getting coverage, it's a welcome trend as far as I'm concerned.
    A meaningless friendly between Brazil IIs vs Turkey in a neutral country is "quality international football" and this is what RTE are spending their licence fees on It did exactly what is said on the tin: 0-0.

Give me a competitive Premiership, Championship, SPL or Eircom league game any day of the week to a friendly and meaningless game between two countries in which I have little interest.

If it was a competitive game with points at stake, I would gladly have watched it but friendlies, even most of our own, are usually mind numbingly boring and by all accounts this game was no exception.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I didn't watch it, but can't see how anybody could be upset it was on. I'd say it cost less to buy than 4 episodes of the simpsons and was on for no other reason
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I've no love for either team, but if it was on in Northern Ireland I would probably have watched the game.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D