Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denmark Sweden Abandoned last minute?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    True geysir.
    Don't get it for the life of me.
    Obviously, its totally unacceptable but the crowd weren't agitated and it wasn't likely to happen again if the game continued.
    Ref is after creating a bigger issue of it.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    The ref shouldn't of called off the game it was nearly over and it was only the action of one idiot, I'd understand him calling it off if there had been a pitch invasion by loads of fans but to call a game off in the final minutes because one fan ran on the pitch it sheer idiocy.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The first thing i though of when heard this was the likelihood of this happening at Lansdowne Road due to crap stewards. Obviously that ground is being demolished now but you get the idea...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Do you know what is funny about all this.

The Parken Stadium is a class stadium and Windsor Park is a rubbish stadium(in international terms).

Yet Windsor Park has better controls on crowd. It is a hell of a lot harder to get onto the pitch at Windsor than any other ground I have been at.

There is a moat in front of two newer stands then there is barbed wire on top of the fences.

At the other part, the terracing is lower than the pitch and there is a big fence to climb over.

Maybe UEFA/FIFA should think maybe all the old stadiums wheren't all **** ups in designs. The only thing that they would need to do is have a spill out area in case for some reason there is a bigger than capacity crowd in the stadium.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    There is a moat in front of two newer stands then there is barbed wire on top of the fences.
    For all the millions they spent on Wembley they really are missing barbed wire.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    You can't legislate for the actions of a total fcukwit.

God, sometimes I wake up in the mornings racked with guilt over a mildly offence remark I might have made when drunk the previous night. I wonder how this guy feels!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Having watched the footage I can't understand why the idiot wasn't just removed and the game played on. UEFA/FIFA could fine them afterwards.

If the penalty had not been scored, Denmark would have got a point. Bet they must be gutted.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Exactly. There are procedures for dealing with one idiot who runs on the pitch - you take him away and arrest him. Life goes on. Utterly stupid over-reaction, and can't believe people are defending the referee (not here, but officials in the media in general).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Sweden given win after ref attack

Imo, it was the right decision. Hope this guy gets banned for life.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    It was not the right decision. You can't go awarding games every time someone runs onto the pitch.

How long before a fan runs onto the pitch in the colours of the opposition now to get their team a walkover?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It was not the right decision. You can't go awarding games every time someone runs onto the pitch.

How long before a fan runs onto the pitch in the colours of the opposition now to get their team a walkover?
    It's a bit more than running onto a pitch. He approached the referee. He disrupted match. Yes, the referee could easily have just continued the game but when he didn't and left it the way it was (Sweden had a chance to win it) I think it's fair to award them the game as they had a real chance of winning it.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    It's all part of the one decision though - once the game was abandoned, it had to be awarded (seeing as you couldn't realistically arrange to play the last five minutes of an international at a later stage). You can't take the 3-0 decision alone. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

That's a pretty fatuous comment. Failure to provide a secure environment (the responsibility of the host association) results in forfeiture, and always has done. If the safety of a player or official is seriously compromised to the extent that the game can't continue, it's the only just and logical course of action. How long until a player feigns injury to force an abandonment? It happened twenty years ago (we all know when and where) and was rumbled more or less instantly.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Failure to provide a secure environment (the responsibility of the host association) results in forfeiture, and always has done.
    Don't recall Ireland forfeiting any games when a streaker ran onto the pitch, and there have been plenty. (You can't argue that it's a different case as you don't know what he's going to do once he runs on the pitch)

Don't recall Leeds forfeiting the game against Ipswich (?) when their fans invaded the pitch en masse at the end of last season.

Don't recall the 1989 FA Cup Final being awarded when fans spilled onto the pitch.

I agree that -

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    If the safety of a player or official is seriously compromised to the extent that the game can't continue, it's the only just and logical course of action.
    - but that wasn't the case here. Drunken fat bloke takes a wussy swipe at the ref, which was never going to connect because one of the players already had half a hold of him anyways. The ref was a fool to call the match off.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/06/2007 at 9:31 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts

Interesting question. I suppose it had to be determined that it was indeed a Danish fan.
    But if it happened to be a drunken Swede (and there are many) protesting, say at the failure of the ref to spot the "penalty infringement", then would Sweden still get their 3-0? I don't think so.
    It appears to be a judgement that was made easy by Denmark's public acceptance of a 3-0 result to Sweden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's all part of the one decision though - once the game was abandoned, it had to be awarded (seeing as you couldn't realistically arrange to play the last five minutes of an international at a later stage). You can't take the 3-0 decision alone. The whole thing is ridiculous.
    it didnt have to be awarded. The ref can call for an abandonment after 70 minutes in which the result stands.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Abandoning a match having just awarded a last minute penalty for one team to win would have been just as ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Abandoning a match having just awarded a last minute penalty for one team to win would have been just as ridiculous.
    yes well we're back to the root cause, that abandoning the match in the first place was ridiculous. you'd say something if it was 500 screaming vikings but one drunk idiot?
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Yeah, as I said, having abandoned the match, it had to be awarded barring getting everyone back in Denmark for three minutes starting with a penalty. But the abandonment was ridiculous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12