Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Kohlmann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Cunningham and Ward are good enough options at left back. There is no way we should be thinking about calling up someone from the German second division.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    I wouldn't discount Kolhmann just yet
    Lets not forget, Cunningham (despite his promise) has yet to start for his club, or country, at competitive level.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I wouldn't discount Kolhmann just yet
    Lets not forget, Cunningham (despite his promise) has yet to start for his club, or country, at competitive level.
    Strange

First of all, this thread, quite rightly was rehashed because extratime.ie(great website) had an interview with Kohlmann.
    Nobody was asking for him to be called up. Two posts speculated about his inclusion in future Irish squads, hardly a witchhunt(Irish Praha, I'm looking at you because of an over the top response). I sometimes wonder if people actually can see the difference between acknowledgement and promotion.(TrapAPony).
    Did you hear abour Anto Flood by the way? Call him up!

Anyway the at the start was because I personally think Kohlmann can be discounted. Respectfully tetsujin1979, whether or not Cunningham, nay any player is good enough for the senior panel, shouldn't be a reason to shoehorn anyone into the team. Kohlmann never made it.
    And whilst I'm here, without any professional judgement, Stephen Ward has been watched and overlooked by Trapattoni and by proxy isn't good enough for Ireland. It's understandable, he started his career at the other end of the field. I'd love if we all agree over the same things but then this place wouldn't be so much fun. Discuss. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think, in a pretty important note, McCarthy has moved Ward back into a striking position. He ended last season that way and has done so in pre-season i believe. If he's not playing at club for left-back i'd forget about him. We need someone who's primary position is there, Cunningham fits the bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I don't see the harm in calling up any player, regardless of what level they play at, for a friendly to try them out in. That's what friendlies are for, to try things out. If any player comes in for a friendly and does badly, well, at least it was a non-competitive game. What has been lost?

I haven't seen Kohlmann play so I can't push him for inclusion but I think it's unfair to dismiss a player when he plays at a level that most people here are assuming is bad.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Stephen Ward is a terrible left-back, I saw him play against Liverpool last season. He was given the run around by Benayoun and ended up getting sent off. Total waste of space, at least as a left back. Let's see how he does as a striker.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Judging players on the basis of one game? How scientific.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    I saw him play lots last season, he was sh!te every time. There's a reason Trap doesn't rate him, especially when you consider left back is our biggest weakness.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Looked great anytime I saw him. Had a stormer against Man Utd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    He was terrible in the one match he played against Manchester United, so much so that he was subbed off. Very rarely does a full back get subbed for tactical reasons. Manchester United won one nil if I remember correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A quick search tells me he was subbed off with 5 minutes to go in exchange for a striker, which makes perfect sense when the team is losing 1-0. He had a great chance to score during the match too and his team very nearly kept a clean sheet against the (then) champions. Hardly the worst performance imaginable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    If he's such a good player why has Trapattoni shown no interest whatsoever in him despite the fact that left back is our major weakness?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He called him up for the training camp but he had to pull out to have surgery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Yeah, he called him up for this training camp but what about all of last year when he was supposedly playing so well? I'm sorry, but I cannot forgive him for the shirt pull on Benayoun that got him his second yellow last year against Liverpool. Laziest play I have ever seen made in football in all my life.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Yeah, he called him up for this training camp but what about all of last year when he was supposedly playing so well? I'm sorry, but I cannot forgive him for the shirt pull on Benayoun that got him his second yellow last year against Liverpool. Laziest play I have ever seen made in football in all my life.
    You've obviously never watched Berbatov play so!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    he played at left back in the B game VS Forest as well.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Genius. Love the way that your damning assessment of a player is essentially based upon one poor game. Stick to Ice Hockey rather than boring us with your overstated, ill-informed opinions on a player you have rarely seen play.

Wardy played at Left Back yesterday before moving to Left Wing (the two positions which he has pre-occupied all pre-season). Had a good game, getting up the line well and was unlucky with a good strike at the end. By no means the best left back in the world (as he is still learning and developing) however is infinitely better than Kilbane right now (as Foley is compared to McShane).

Great win against Stoke, who as a comfortable mid-table team forthe past two seasons were played off the park. Some views on Ward from people who actually attended the game below:

1) Ward jarvis and henry were all immense.
    2) Very impressed with VD and Ward, thought they were good together.
    3) Ward - He is really inform, now that he is fully fit. 8
    4) Early on it was all coming down our left side and positionally JVD and Ward seemed to have little understanding at all. Luckily this swung full circle and our best attacking play came down the left later on- both had very good games and Ward could and should have scored. He also produced some excellent crosses where we could have added further to our total. (Ward 8)
    5) Ward. Surprised MM played him at leftback was expecting to see him left midfield but did well. Linked well With JVD down the left although there was acres of room down that side. 7
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I though Jean Claude van Damme started at left back, no?

It's interesting that our two long-term options at left full - Ward and Cunningham - are both converted strikers.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I though Jean Claude van Damme started at left back, no?

It's interesting that our two long-term options at left full - Ward and Cunningham - are both converted strikers.
    Van Damme started at Left Wing, although dare say that he will eventually be direct competition with Ward for the left back role once Hunt is fit. He looked good yesterday and is a big lad, however made a few errors in pre-season hence why Wardy was favoured I think.

Definitely seems to be a regular trend with modern fullbacks with both Evra and Ashley Cole starting out as strikers also.
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Very impressed with VD and Ward, thought they were good together.
    Im sure there is a joke in there somewhere......

Glad to hear he played well. I think Cunningham will be installed at LB within 2-3 games of this campaign. However, its the debutant LB spot where Wardy might just fit the bill. (By the way, not my opinion on Cunningham neccesarily but just the way I think it will pan out)
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast