Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toolan urges more people to support the club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Toolan urges more people to support the club

SLIGO Rovers will hold a thinktank this week to discuss the club’s future after its chairman stated that the club is at a “crossroads”.

And the forum is offering the opportunity to hear views and more importantly ideas on how to get more people supporting the team.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/st...2895&cat=sport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    The No.1 way to increase attandences is the team to start winning. Even if they don't win then they should show a bit of heart or even interest in winning. You can't expect new people to go to matches when they play like that tonight. Complete lack of interest from the players. Only dedicated Rovers fans will follow the team when they're playing like they are at the moment.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    The No.1 way to increase attandences is the team to start winning. Even if they don't win then they should show a bit of heart or even interest in winning. You can't expect new people to go to matches when they play like that tonight. Complete lack of interest from the players. Only dedicated Rovers fans will follow the team when they're playing like they are at the moment.
    so you'll be leaving soon yeah?

...Ill get my coat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SligoBrewer View Post
    so you'll be leaving soon yeah?

...Ill get my coat
    I've been following them a lot longer than you sonny...some of us actually followed Rovers when they were in the First Division, not just Premier.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I've been following them a lot longer than you sonny...some of us actually followed Rovers when they were in the First Division, not just Premier.
    good.. its great to know your dad went to matches back then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I dont really agree about the summer matches and people going to the gaelic instead really cos if you think about it theres only 2 summer months June and July when we wouldnt be playing anyway if it was Winter football and lets face it our attendances have been poor since March.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Another forum! Well let’s look at what came form the previous one in the Radisson some month’s ago.NOTHING.Loads of new ideas and suggestions and yet not one of them was taken on board.
    So what is going to be different this time around?

1- For starters the ground is a disgrace and is in no way attractive to fans to attend. Why the shed couldn’t be left in place until the planning permission was granted for the new structure and then when work was to commence, then demolish the structure. How can you encourage someone to come to a match when the club doesn’t even have the grounds infrastructure in place?
    On that note does anyone know if the asbestos on the shed roof was properly disposed of, or is it lying with the rubble on the Jinks avenue side of ground?

Similar with flood lights why not have left the old ones up until we had the new ones ready to be erected? This effected gates as we had to switch matches.

2 -Not allowing fans leave and re-enter the grounds at half time also discourages fans going to the games. I can personally vouch for 10-15 fans that stopped going when this began. Look at it this way how many football fans spend and average of £500 + to travel to games in Britain a few times a year. Now nine times out of ten the actual game is crap but it is the occasion that they pay for. We wouldn’t have it on such a large scale but a few lads meeting for a pint before a game over to the showground’s, one at half time and back. Allowed in all other LOI grounds so why not ours
    We are told it is a Health and safety issue, well there is an arsenal of rocks and stones all around the ground which pose more of an H&S concern, but this doesn’t seem to be problem.

Finally to attract soccer fans to come and watch a good soccer match it is fundamental that the playing surface is up to scratch. The surface is terrible; it must be like trying to play football on a toblerone.The ball bobbles everywhere. This needs to be sorted as a priority.

Club house,Merchandise,Hospitality etc.....

And maybe if the stewards layed off eyeballing our own fans too...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

"If these people are serious about having a team in the Premier Division then we need more people coming through the turnstiles"

Michael Toolan is a joke. who does he think he is. another forum will do absolute squat. It just a typical circle for rovers. He didnt want anything to do with supporters when the club was doing well. When we got promoted the platform was there to take it on and not just for one season. They taken this platform and made a mess of it. They continually alienate and upset people and expect people to put up money and keep their mouths closed.

All the stuff in that article is just press talk. Maybe if they actually met once a week, like they are supposed to then things would get done. All this talk about community club and members elected officials is fine for the papers but in reality it's nowhere near how things work.

There is so much crap in that article it's untrue. Rural people dont go to rovers becuase of GAA games ? wrong. a huge percentage of supporters are country based. the club resides in an area of thousands and thousand of family homes and what have they done to entice people to come across the road and watch a game.

A football club can no longer operate as a charity case. The core supporters will always be willing to help financially with draws,lotto , club 400 etc but this is not enough. The club structure needs to change more "moved around a bit". The club needs a total revamp, becuase the structures are not there for the club to have sustained progress.

Its a bit of a mess becuase they are way more questions than answers in determing a way forward for the club. The MC have done well in the past couple of years and as commendable as that is, they dont have the capacity to move the club forward. Very hard thing to do given they all have day jobs. Surely a couple of full-timers in. they'd pay for themselves in the long run.

And why is everything they organise on a Tuesday night ffs. Just cos it suits them not to have a club meeting is why.
    [rant over]

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    a meeting is a good step but then again so was the last one.

i wonder does he know the reasons people dont come to the games anymore......like the fact in the last twelve months we've had 5 managers of the team,caretaker and full time.oh and the caretakers usually take charge of more games than the full time. we rebuild every damn year to build a platform that goes nowhere because we get screwed so much by people who don't care about sligo rovers,ie mr connor and his associates. they lie to the supporters non stop and treat us like inferiors instead of paying customers.....except when they want something from us. its all well and good saying this on a forum,and likewise next week if someone makes a tommy gorman Esq rant to them pointing out their deficiencies. Because what we actually need is new blood on the MC. Something even they say they want.We need to change the way we do everything,and when i say "we" i mean the people on here

Sligo Rovers fans are fickle and a lot of things but we all care about the club. Its great to have another meeting because it can be a start,its also great to have the supporters trust agm this Friday. I really hope there is a large attendance because when i say we need new blood this is where we can work from,the trust is the basis in my opinion and when or if we get the numbers then we can really make a difference

For me the best example of the outdated feeling there is in the showgrounds is one of the simplest, Michael Toolan on the pa. Its the same faces,the same story,the same result, every week,every pre season,every year and why would people come to the game to see the same thing every time

He's right,the club is at a crossroads. It always is seemingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Think tank me arse, looking for where they can get the nearest handout. More players will be let go in July and from what I have heard any new signings will be local.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Oh, God.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Rovers in a Crisis

Im not sure if any of ye read the article in the Champion as opposed to the weekender, But there is a huge difference. Its not in the Sports pages but its on page 3. For those of you who only read the sports.
    I just read it there and it really tells the seriousness of the situation. It says the club are in huge financial difficulty and may not surrvive much longer in the Premier Division.

I think the board should swallow their pride now and admit they made a huge mistake in going full-time. They need to accept this and try and put it right now, its time to go back part-time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

financial difficulties

we are in serious trouble financially. the club needs cash immediatelywe should all do as much as we can to help. this week i sold 60 tickets at E10 each for the draw taking place ijune 24th. this is not a boast its just my way of helping the club as best i can. if we all put our minds to it there are lots of more tickets that can be sold. the prizes are very good. if there are 3000 tickets sold this will generate 30000 for the club less expenses. we are carrying a very serious financila situation at the moment we are also going into a 2 week break very little income comming in lots going out. now is the time for all true sligo rovers supporters to generate cash flow. phone the club up and request tickets to sell dont leave it to the usual few. most people will part with E10. i reckon the club is losing e6000 per week snce the beginning of the season. its easy to do the math. we finiished with a profit of 45000 last season (but carrying a loss in the books approx 120000). the farmer put paid to the e48000 by the start of the season with his shenanagains (the club had to pay out 7 weeks wages pre season due to the way he tied players up most of them gone now but they had to be compensated . iheard 30000 maybe not to far off. add all this up ,take the return on the gates (which are 50% down on last year) and add in the wage bill which i wont mention here and now you can see why we are in so much trouble. remember
    the club has promised the cookie monster that funds will be available to bring in players for july (we could be out of the cup by then ). if they renage he will walk (he mentioned in the sligo champion when he signed that if the club honours all there committments he will stay and that includes the promise to make funds available for players.sounds very depressing but there is a glimmer of hope and that is the supporters. i was at the trust meeting the other night and was very impressed. we have a bunch of lads here who are bright and articulate and have rovers at heart . they might not be setting the club alight yet with their financial support but with more members comming on board it is possible that things can be turned around (this is for the future) the immediate situation needs to be remedied immediately and that means helping the club by either buying tickets or selling them. its up to
    you . i will be taking another 30 tonight. and when i sell them another 30. clone my attitude and practise and it will give the club a big lift.were all in this togeather (stop giving out we all make mistakes) the club needs you now. its up to you!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Financial Crisis.

I will help out no problem. Whats this draw about? I haven't heard much about it but i will give a helping hand.

What is the story with our set up does anyone know, is there any chance of going back to part-time? I think its time to go back to part-time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Treasurer to leave.

I have just been told the Treasurer of the club Loman Gallagher may be about to step down as the treasurer of the club.
    He is seemingly very stressed out from the job.

This will leave the club in a shambles if he was to leave and a replacment would be hard to find given the consequences........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I'll be heading along tonight. As for the draw, I heard about it only cos members of MC called to my house selling them and also on sale inside the ground. Apart from that, I haven't seen any advertisements in paper or on website even. This is something they really should be doing.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What time is it at? Champion says 9pm yet the weekender says 8pm?
    What is the official time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    9pm, definitely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Good news from the meeting, proper turnstiles will be in place in 2 weeks time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good news from the meeting, proper turnstiles will be in place in 2 weeks time.
    Anything else come out of the meeting?
    Till d End!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast