Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Rugby World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Another reinforcement in my biased mind that South Africa's pressurising Argentina to play badly had as much to do with their win as Argentina being tired.

Miraculous recovery if they were just tired.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Another reinforcement in my biased mind that South Africa's pressurising Argentina to play badly had as much to do with their win as Argentina being tired.

maybe so, but tired minds of concentration is another thing. Making stupid mistakes when a man isn't near ye and knocking on etc at just the wrong time has nothing to do with the opposition. Contempomi, hernandez,pichot all made serious mistakes the last day, that had nothing to do with SA.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    i will be cheering on England tonight (and no its not a first!!!)
    they play decent rugby considering what they have as a team, got their heads down and got on with their gameplan, were honest, and great team bonding............i have to say they have shown what a team effort can do despite lack of ability (compared to other teams)

they could get rid of all the naff songs though............"sweet low" yikes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    i will be cheering on England tonight (and no its not a first!!!)
    they play decent rugby considering what they have as a team, got their heads down and got on with their gameplan, were honest, and great team bonding............i have to say they have shown what a team effort can do despite lack of ability (compared to other teams)

they could get rid of all the naff songs though............"sweet low" yikes
    No surprise there then! True colours shown before.

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    ...come on germany, heres hoping for a 3-0 loss to ireland

support the team, my as s
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    No surprise there then! True colours shown before.

so would you like to see Stan in charge for another 2 years then? cleverclogs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'm going for England, simply because I like how our neighbour's triumphs upsets so many Irish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Let's hope Habana gets some space tonight and scares the life out of England.

The thought of having to hear about back to back world cup wins for the next 4 years is frightening.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    God that was a rubbish final, reminded me why I hate rugby so much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    God that was a rubbish final, reminded me why I hate rugby so much
    Ahh, come on now. The first half was incredibly tense and physical. However, I can accept it was more a purists game than an explosive out-and-out France v New Zealand in '99 jaw dropping kind of game. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

All credit to South Africa, best team in the world because they left nothing to chance and did exactly what they needed to. And England, though incredibly boring and murdering the game, deserve a huge amount of credit too for never knowing when they were beaten until a team better than them forced them down. The fact is that mentally we could learn a huge amount from their team (which isn't as good as ours, but look at the differing fortunes in this WC), both on the playing and coaching sides.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the RWC, and as I will willingly admit to slightly preferring rugby to soccer I would say it was more entertaining and exciting than Germany 2006. Congratulations South Africa, chuffed for them, and roll on NZ 2011!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Go Bokke! (Before the ANC wreck the set-up)

Out-bored England at their own game. The English forwards couldn't get Wilkinson within range for drop goals so he tried it from a ridiculous distance that maybe Steyn could hit. When they needed a try late on, they hadn't a clue how to break through and ended up with RSA turning the ball over
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The "try" ? Appeared to me his toe touched the line before he grounded the ball so he was in touch and when he grounded it his foot was above the line and not in touch. I am amused by the griping of nearly all the English media. They seemed to have forgotten 1966 and the ball that never crossed the line
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The "try" was an extremely close call but was early in the game so as not to be decisive. England got a penalty as advantage was being played so they just lost 2-4 points. The penalty that SA got last 3 points from seemed harsh but only 1 replay given on tv.

SA were the better side in a terrible final. Outhalfs kicked garryowens from the majority of possession - seems rugby has gone back 20 years.

England shown up when they had to chase the game.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    poor final but I've always said that if you keep the penalty count low against that current English side then they can do very little offensively. South Africa knew that and just soaked up the pressure with ease. Matfield was immense in the lineout and deservedly won MOM but I was really hoping the Boks would open up and cut loose........then again a lot was at stake so I can understand why they were careful.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    .....Matfield was immense in the lineout and deservedly won MOM......
    Agree he deserved it, but why in rugby do they pick the MOM with 10 minutes still to play. They do the same in Rugby League.

Just supposing last night in the last 10 minutes, Steyn had scored a spectacular try, I am sure a lot of people would have thought he was MOM.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    whats red and white and goes beep beep, beep beep , beep beep?

The England open top bus reversing back into the garage.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    whats red and white and goes beep beep, beep beep , beep beep?

The England open top bus reversing back into the garage.
    What's green and white and goes butt butt butt. The Irish bus making its way home after the group stage. I'd take the beep beep beep sound any day I am afraid .
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    White is 'considering' coaching us. I reckon that would be a great acquisition, especially considering how crap our recent results have been.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Eddie O'Sullivan asked Graham Henry after Ireland failed to get into the Quarters... "Graham, What's the secret in selecting a great team?".

Pretty simple, replied Graham "I picked my players for their intelligence and asked them just one question".
    "That simple?" said Eddie, "Yep", replied Graham, "pick one of my squad and see how he does".
    Eddie thinks for a while then nominates Dan Carter. Graham calls him over & asks him,
    "Who is the child of your Father & of your Mother who is not your Brother & is not your Sister?"
    "Ah simple, Graham", says Dan, "it's me". "Well done Dan", says Graham, & Eddie is very impressed.

Eddie returns to the Hotel & wonders about the intelligence of his team. He calls in Brian O'Driscoll and says to asks him "Who is the child of your Father & of your Mother who is not your Brother & is not your Sister?"
    Brian thinks & thinks & doesn't know the answer. "Can I think about it a bit more Eddie & I'll give you an answer tomorrow?".
    "Of course", says Eddie, "you've got 24 hours. But it is very important that you come up with the answer".
    Brian goes away, thinks as hard as he can, & then he calls in his team mates.

Paul O'Connell thought it might be his Grandpa but wasn't sure.
    D'arcy was certain that it couldn't be anyone.
    Peter Stringer refused to answer in case he was sacked for not knowing.
    Isaac Boss owned up to having already failed the test and that's why he had to come to play for Ireland.
    Andrew Trimble thought it would be an Uncle in England who had been adopted as a child.
    Ronan O'Gara went into the fetal position.
    The rest of the team wouldn't even hazard a guess.

20 hours later, Brian is very worried that he still has no answer with only 4 hours to go.

Eventually, Brian thinks: I know, I'll ring Keith Wood; he's bloody smart, and will surely know the answer.
    He phones Keith. "Keith, tell me, who is the child of your Father & of your Mother who is not your Brother & is not your Sister?
    Very simple says Keith, "it's me".
    Of course, says Brian and rings Eddie. "Eddie", I've got the answer: "it's Keith Wood".
    "No, you idiot", says Eddie. "It's Dan Carter."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    Eddie O'Sullivan asked Graham Henry after Ireland failed to get into the Quarters... "Graham, What's the secret in selecting a great team?".

Pretty simple, replied Graham "I picked my players for their intelligence and asked them just one question".
    "That simple?" said Eddie, "Yep", replied Graham, "pick one of my squad and see how he does".
    Eddie thinks for a while then nominates Dan Carter. Graham calls him over & asks him,
    "Who is the child of your Father & of your Mother who is not your Brother & is not your Sister?"
    "Ah simple, Graham", says Dan, "it's me". "Well done Dan", says Graham, & Eddie is very impressed.

Eddie returns to the Hotel & wonders about the intelligence of his team. He calls in Brian O'Driscoll and says to asks him "Who is the child of your Father & of your Mother who is not your Brother & is not your Sister?"
    Brian thinks & thinks & doesn't know the answer. "Can I think about it a bit more Eddie & I'll give you an answer tomorrow?".
    "Of course", says Eddie, "you've got 24 hours. But it is very important that you come up with the answer".
    Brian goes away, thinks as hard as he can, & then he calls in his team mates.

Paul O'Connell thought it might be his Grandpa but wasn't sure.
    D'arcy was certain that it couldn't be anyone.
    Peter Stringer refused to answer in case he was sacked for not knowing.
    Isaac Boss owned up to having already failed the test and that's why he had to come to play for Ireland.
    Andrew Trimble thought it would be an Uncle in England who had been adopted as a child.
    Ronan O'Gara went into the fetal position.
    The rest of the team wouldn't even hazard a guess.

20 hours later, Brian is very worried that he still has no answer with only 4 hours to go.

Eventually, Brian thinks: I know, I'll ring Keith Wood; he's bloody smart, and will surely know the answer.
    He phones Keith. "Keith, tell me, who is the child of your Father & of your Mother who is not your Brother & is not your Sister?
    Very simple says Keith, "it's me".
    Of course, says Brian and rings Eddie. "Eddie", I've got the answer: "it's Keith Wood".
    "No, you idiot", says Eddie. "It's Dan Carter."
    Superb
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm genuinely interested if criticism of England's maul tactics were fair or not.
    Not sure if the criticism was fair or not but I the Boks did their homework on both the Pumas & England, they got the Pumas caught doing "Truck & Trailer" a few times and they got England with it too, Disengage from the maul with the ball carrier at the back, invariably the man at the front of the maul runs into the next opposition shirt and it’s then an offside penalty against the team with the ball. A clever move that was clearly planned by the Boks coaching team.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243