Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astro Park

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts

Foot.ie! Astro Park

OK I know it's not quite a different sport but didn't see where else I could post this.

I've been playing out in DCU on Monday evenings for the last few weeks and I have to say I think the pitches out there are great. The surface is made up of rubber chippings rather than sand and I find it's much easier on the joints than the astro parks in Coolock or Tallaght. Plus the ball runs at a more regular pace.

Thought I'd mention this as there seems to be plenty of free pitches out there every week if anyone is looking for somewhere to play. I know a lot of the other astro places around seem to be fully booked up.

Anyone else like this kind of surface or do you prefer the sand based pitches? Is this similar to what they use for full size pitches like the one in Dundalk?

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    OK I know it's not quite a different sport but didn't see where else I could post this.

I've been playing out in DCU on Monday evenings for the last few weeks and I have to say I think the pitches out there are great. The surface is made up of rubber chippings rather than sand and I find it's much easier on the joints than the astro parks in Coolock or Tallaght. Plus the ball runs at a more regular pace.

Thought I'd mention this as there seems to be plenty of free pitches out there every week if anyone is looking for somewhere to play. I know a lot of the other astro places around seem to be fully booked up.

Anyone else like this kind of surface or do you prefer the sand based pitches? Is this similar to what they use for full size pitches like the one in Dundalk?
    no they defo dont use this for proper football it wouldnt be legal!!.... ya we play on them down here too(on mondays) and obviously there better then sand..... the sand ones are only really there for hockey to be also played on them too(to maximise revenue) and arent suited to football at all when you think of grip on them in wet(and dry for that matter)
    very dangerous also if you took a fall on one when you consider they are as hard as concrete.... we play a inter-firm league(on wednesdays) on a sand one and the dangers would be there(in your mind) when you go into a tackle.
    the ball doesnt bounce right on them too goes too high when it hits.
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Best ones to me are the ESB ones at Sportsco in Dublin 4
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    no they defo dont use this for proper football it wouldnt be legal!!....
    Eh Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Eh Dundalk.
    Also the AFL in Dublin use the same thing...
    It is legal.
    If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post

Thanks for the tip-off. We've been playing every week at Coolock Astro for a year and its been dodgy on the joints alright. DCU aint too far away.

The injuries might have something to do with being completely unfit and over 30 though.

We'd be brutal regardless of what pitch we're on!!!
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smellyfeet View Post
    Also the AFL in Dublin use the same thing...
    It is legal.
    the stuff with all the rubber isnt legal!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    the stuff with all the rubber isnt legal!!
    It is. It's everywhere. Dundalk use it on their main pitch, AFAIK Longford and Sligo use it on their all-weather pitches and loads of schoolboy teams in Dublin use it.

If you still think it's illegal prove it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It is. It's everywhere. Dundalk use it on their main pitch, AFAIK Longford and Sligo use it on their all-weather pitches and loads of schoolboy teams in Dublin use it.

If you still think it's illegal prove it.
    well you cant wear studs on it so i rest my case..... you think when you play in the oriel you can only wear blades or astros??... even blades rip it up... the stuff in cages in way cheaper.....you sayin junior clubs etc... can afford same thing as pro clubs??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    well you cant wear studs on it so i rest my case.....
    First of all how would that make it illegal? Secondly you can wear studs.

you sayin junior clubs etc... can afford same thing as pro clubs??
    Eh no, stop being an arsehole, you know I didn't say that. What's that got to do with this anyway? Doesn't matter if it's different quality it's not bloody illegal.

Again I'll ask you show proof that it's illegal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    First of all how would that make it illegal? Secondly you can wear studs.

Eh no, stop being an arsehole, you know I didn't say that. What's that got to do with this anyway? Doesn't matter if it's different quality it's not bloody illegal.

Again I'll ask you show proof that it's illegal.
    ya well any of the ones around galway, you cant wear studs on them!. and the way he described it, it was the same type of pitches with the bits of rubber.... ooh so your allowed play a proper match on a pitch you cant wear studs on??
    i know you didnt say that i wasnt saying you did, i was pointing out that the stuff the councils build/junior clubs is not the same stuff..... its a way cheaper standard..... prove it how?... we're on a internet forum!.
    if its provable you prove it since your asking that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ya well any of the ones around galway, you cant wear studs on them!. and the way he described it, it was the same type of pitches with the bits of rubber.... ooh so your allowed play a proper match on a pitch you cant wear studs on??
    i know you didnt say that i wasnt saying you did, i was pointing out that the stuff the councils build/junior clubs is not the same stuff..... its a way cheaper standard..... prove it how?... we're on a internet forum!.
    oh ffs gilberto eire... grow up. are you 12?

the fifa rules are online..go find it gilberto if its illegal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SligoBrewer View Post
    oh ffs gilberto eire... grow up. are you 12?

the fifa rules are online..go find it gilberto if its illegal.
    i didnt say artifical pitches are illegal i said the types you see in cages around the place are a sub-standard version and wouldnt be legal to play on...the top of the range ones are virtually identical to a real pitch..... so read all the posts before you selevt a few words and have a go... no im not 12 but that was a great guess(u deserve a pat of the back for that)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    OK fair enough if they don't let you do that in Galway.

Dundalk, Dunfermline and Borussia Mönchengladbach is plenty of proof. Strikes of desperation when you try to avoid a question.

i didnt say artifical pitches are illegal i said the types you see in cages around the place are a sub-standard version and wouldnt be legal to play on...the top of the range ones are virtually identical to a real pitch..... so read all the posts before you selevt a few words and have a go...
    So you're now backing down on your original claim that they are illegal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    OK fair enough if they don't let you do that in Galway.

Dundalk, Dunfermline and Borussia Mönchengladbach is plenty of proof. Strikes of desperation when you try to avoid a question.

So you're now backing down on your original claim that they are illegal?
    i know that those teams use them im saying that the ones you see in cages around the place are differant and wouldnt be legal... that after all is what we were talking about.... never mentioned the types that dundalk and that use...its way differant then the stuff you get in cages around the place.... the thing they use is identical to grass and costs 10's of 1000's... the stuff in cages is along the same lines of stuff bit differant... you cant wear studs on it if you slid in shorts it would cut ya it would be illegal!! its inferior quality to the stuff on those other pitches!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    the types you see in cages around the place are a sub-standard version and wouldnt be legal to play on
    the ones you see in cages around the place are differant and wouldnt be legal
    So if the guards caught you playing football on it they'd arrest you for it?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    So if the guards caught you playing football on it they'd arrest you for it?
    sligo comedy at its best!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    i know that those teams use them im saying that the ones you see in cages around the place are differant and wouldnt be legal... that after all is what we were talking about.... never mentioned the types that dundalk and that use...its way differant then the stuff you get in cages around the place.... the thing they use is identical to grass and costs 10's of 1000's... the stuff in cages is along the same lines of stuff bit differant... you cant wear studs on it if you slid in shorts it would cut ya it would be illegal!! its inferior quality to the stuff on those other pitches!!
    You are seriously showing your ignorance on this subject.In the last year or so i know of 3 clubs (Crumlin Utd, Peamount Utd and Greystones Utd) that have all installed the same standard pitch as Oriel park!Crumlin played the whole season on theirs and the other plan to next season i believe. There is many grades of synthetic surface and yes not all are a high enough standard to play official games on but many and particulary new ones are.In fact on the newer ones you cant wear runners on, boots only. You dont need a whole lot to play 5 a side on.
    And as for cost try 100's of thousands not 10's its at least €500,000 for a FIFA cert synthetic pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro m View Post
    You are seriously showing your ignorance on this subject.In the last year or so i know of 3 clubs (Crumlin Utd, Peamount Utd and Greystones Utd) that have all installed the same standard pitch as Oriel park!Crumlin played the whole season on theirs and the other plan to next season i believe. There is many grades of synthetic surface and yes not all are a high enough standard to play official games on but many and particulary new ones are.In fact on the newer ones you cant wear runners on, boots only. You dont need a whole lot to play 5 a side on.
    And as for cost try 100's of thousands not 10's its at least €500,000 for a FIFA cert synthetic pitch.
    well your just kinda after sayin, what im trying to say!!.... the 1st post was a fella saying he found cages with artificial surface and he asked was it the same as the stuff in oriel and in relation to the cages standard i said it wouldnt be legal.... as the stuff on full-size pitches is much more grass like and has to follow strict conditions.... in all cages ive seen anyway you cant wear studs and if you slide or fell it can and does cut ya.... so in relation to them they are nowhere near the same as the stuff dundalk has etc.... although it comes frm the same ''family''
    Last edited by gilberto_eire; 27/05/2007 at 9:52 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As you say here?

The 3 i mentioned are in "cages" as you call them. Anything i know of built in the last 2 or 3 years can take studs.
    Ye and a standard public park pitch cant be used for eircom league games but they're not illigal as you call it.All-weather pitches have come along way from the "Astro" day of runners.

o they defo dont use this for proper football it wouldnt be legal!!.... ya we play on them down here too(on mondays) and obviously there better then sand..... the sand ones are only really there for hockey to be also played on them too(to maximise revenue) and arent suited to football at all when you think of grip on them in wet(and dry for that matter)
    the ones i mentioned are sand based and so too is oriel - a mixture of sand and rubber granules....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast