Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Darron Gibson

From Football 365:

http://www.football365.com/news/story_189307.shtml

This is a bit of a surprise to me as I thought he had declared for us and had already played underage for our youth teams...

Can anyone set me straight on this????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Thats a strange one alright. I thought he declared for ROI too and has played loads of games.
    He's even included in the U-19 squad on the FAI website:
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...d=62&Itemid=75

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Yeah, he's from Derry & has played competively for RoI at U17 & U19 level.

oneteaminireland.bravehost.com tracks his progress regularly.

PS: his name, unusually, is spelt Darron.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 24/07/2006 at 9:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Yeah, he's from Derry & has played competively for RoI at U17 & U19 level.
    Here's his squad profile from FAI website. oneteaminireland.com also tracks his progress. I reckon Fergie's just unaware / confused.

Darron Gibson (Manchester United)
    Born in Northern Ireland. Played for Ireland at U17.
    Was the powerful hub of the Irish machine as they won their three matches in the fist phase qualifying tournament for the finals of 2006 in October 2005 — strong, forceful player who dominated the area in front of the centre-backs. Plays centre-back with United’s reserves and showed all the attributes of the ideal defensive midfielder for Ireland.

PS: his name, unusually, is spelt Darron.
    Can he still switch allegiances if playing competitively for youth teams? That would be pretty bad news as it looks like he's quite highly rated by Ferguson...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    At say at his age Fergie'd do well to keep up with the international allegience of all his first team squad, never mind those from the underage set up...

It's probbly a misplaced assumption of Fergie's part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee
    At say at his age Fergie'd do well to keep up with the international allegience of all his first team squad, never mind those from the underage set up...

It's probbly a misplaced assumption of Fergie's part.

Agreed, ol' Fergie's brain gets more frazzled by the day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can't see him jumping ship if he has come up through our ranks , cross purposes between fergie and the reporter i reckon...
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Wink

Probably scared by the competition in the Irish midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    The 6 county team have been sniffing round Darron, apparently.

Ireland have issued a "hands off our man" warning to the Irish Football Association.

The stern message from the IFA's southern counterparts comes in light of Sir Alex Ferguson's comments regarding his young Manchester United star Darron Gibson.

An FAI spokesperson said today: "Darron plays his international football with the Republic of Ireland and as far are we are concerned there is no issue regarding his international standing.

"Darron is very highly thought of by all the international managers in the Association and he has a bright future both for club and country."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball
    If any country can't complain about other countries' poaching their players, surely it's got to be us. Nolan anyone?
    I'd say that Staunton's attempts to court both Aaron Lennon and Gary Cahill are more germane to the point you're making since both players were members of another country's squads at the time of Stan's enquiries. Nolan's status is different, given that he is not currently in that position. Not that it matters since, as things stand, he's not eligible for us anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball
    Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens as Gibson apparently played for NI at under-16 and only switched after some dispute with the management.
    AIUI a player can only switch national team allegiance once and, from what you say, Gibson has already done so. My understanding could however be inaccurate. Can anyone clarify?

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    If Gibson wants to play for the Republic, fair enough. It's disappointing after he's come through NI schools football, but you can't browbeat people.

Slip of the tongue by Ferguson I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round
    If Gibson wants to play for the Republic, fair enough. It's disappointing after he's come through NI schools football, but you can't browbeat people.
    Not in this day and age. In a different time and a different context such coercion was de rigeur but times have indeed changed.

Anyhow, thinking of some of the players who have done the same recently - whatever became of Henry McStay? Looks like you didn't miss out there after all...

PP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Gibson made the natural decision for himself, he has always followed Ireland, as has his family. He grew up in Derry following his national team, as do the majority of football supporters in the city.

Darron has represented Ireland from the age of 16, so his commitment to the team is clear.

There are those who will try to hijack the player's international choice as a means to attack or denigrate that decision and portray it as being political or disloyal.

Darron grew up following Ireland so what could be more normal that wanting to emulate your heroes. Gibson in an interview last year spoke of his memories of watching Ireland as a 13 year old in the Japan/Korea 2002 world cup and dreaming of pulling on the green shirt at international level.

I try to avoid these discussons as they tend to stray from the football i love, but its important to point out that everyone have the right to support who they deem to be their national team. I attended my first international game in 1987 and have followed Ireland at home and away ever since. Borders have no baring on that choice and i and many supporters from Belfast, Derry, Coleraine, Newry and beyond see no conflict in that choice and its as natural a choice in Belfast as it is in Dublin, cork or Limerick.

Roll on Stuttgart.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green
    Gibson made the natural decision for himself, he has always followed Ireland, as has his family. He grew up in Derry following his national team, as do the majority of football supporters in the city.

Darron has represented Ireland from the age of 16, so his commitment to the team is clear.

There are those who will try to hijack the player's international choice as a means to attack or denigrate that decision and portray it as being political or disloyal.

Darron grew up following Ireland so what could be more normal that wanting to emulate your heroes. Gibson in an interview last year spoke of his memories of watching Ireland as a 13 year old in the Japan/Korea 2002 world cup and dreaming of pulling on the green shirt at international level.

I try to avoid these discussons as they tend to stray from the football i love, but its important to point out that everyone have the right to support who they deem to be their national team. I attended my first international game in 1987 and have followed Ireland at home and away ever since. Borders have no baring on that choice and i and many supporters from Belfast, Derry, Coleraine, Newry and beyond see no conflict in that choice and its as natural a choice in Belfast as it is in Dublin, cork or Limerick.

Roll on Stuttgart.
    Great post well said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Gibson:

"I have no intention of changing back to play with Northern Ireland

It's my dream to play for the Republic and nothing has changed as far as that is concerned.

I think this whole thing has come about because Sir Alex made a mistake just because he knows I'm from Derry."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    From Belfast Telegraph today.By Peter Hutcheon

26 July 2006

Rising Manchester United star Darron Gibson last night insisted that he has no intention of playing for Northern Ireland - and wants to stick with the Republic of Ireland.

On Monday, The Belfast Telegraph reported Sir Alex Ferguson's belief that Londonderry youngster Gibson and team-mate Jonny Evans, from Belfast, would play for Northern Ireland in the next 12 months.

But Gibson, who previously played for Northern Ireland at under 16 level before switching allegiances to the Republic under-18 set-up, says that his dream is to win a cap for Steve Staunton's senior side rather than turn out for Lawrie Sanchez's team.

"I have no intention of changing back to play with Northern Ireland," the Derry-born 18-year-old declared.

"It's my dream to play for the Republic and nothing has changed as far as that is concerned.

"I think this whole thing has come about because Sir Alex made a mistake just because he knows I'm from Derry."

Gibson's intervention is likely to end a potential tug-of-war between the two Irish camps over his future.

After playing for Northern Ireland's under-16 side, a disagreement with the management team over his trial at Manchester United saw him jump ship and since then he has continued his international football with the Republic.

The rules are such that he still qualifies to play for Northern Ireland but clearly his heart lies elsewhere.

Gibson made his senior debut for the Red Devils last season against Barnet in the Carling Cup.

Continuing his progress along with Evans, he was given the chance to impress on United's recent pre-season tour of South Africa.

United boss Ferguson rates both Gibson and Evans highly and no matter where they play international football, he wants to keep them at Old Trafford in the long term, although they are both expected to be sent out on loan to United's feeder club, Belgian side Royal Antwerp this season to gain more first team experience .

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I don't know if it has already been mentioned but incase it hasn't, He was named as the Manchester United Young Player of the Year.
    http://www.elevenaside.com/acrossthe...p?newsid=22341

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think this quote from Gibson is telling:

"I think this whole thing has come about because Sir Alex made a mistake just because he knows I’m from Derry.”

Not LondonDerry but Derry. Sounds like he leans towards the Republic.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sounds like he leans towards the republic because he plays for us I think that is more telling dont you think.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Sounds like he leans towards "the republic" because he plays for us I think that is more telling dont you think.
    You may have a point there. I think our national inferiority complex sometimes gets the better of us. Jaisus, we seem to have one even where the Nordies are concerned ffs!

It might sound shocking to regular posters but sometimes, just sometimes, Neil, you really do speak some sense.

PP

Page 1 of 170 1231151101 ... LastLast